Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini shut down on its own, will not restart, grey screen, spinning wheel. Unplugged everything, will still not restart. Did safe boot, will not restart after safe boot, only grey screen with spinning wheel.

Mac mini shut down on its own. Could not restart, chime, grey screen and spinning wheel. Unplugged everything but monitor, still only chime, grey screen and spinning wheel. Started in safe boot, shut Down, will not restart.

This happened a couple of months ago, unplugged everything and it restarted, now that won't work.

Mac mini, Snow leopard

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 11:53 AM

21 replies

Feb 3, 2014 11:59 AM in response to cherifromoakville

Hello Cheri,

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X 10.6 Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair Disk, (not Repair Permissions). Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

Feb 3, 2014 4:14 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you for getting back to me. I am running Snow Leopard OSX 10.6.4, but my start up disc is Leopard OSX 10.5.4, does this make a difference. If I put the start up disc in, does if put me back to Leopard, and will I have to upgrade to Snow a Leopard. Not sure yet that I want to update further at this time, seems there are still some problems with the new software.

Cheri

Feb 4, 2014 6:45 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua,

When I bought the Mac Mini it had Leopard installed, very shortly after they brought out Snow a Leopard, which only had a few changes. I did an up grade through Apple, by download.

When I start in safe boot, can I download and burn to disc a copy of Snow Leopard and use that to do the repair to disc. If I can, how would I do this.

Cheri

Feb 4, 2014 11:36 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua,

I just did the repair as you suggested. T ran the disc repair, and twice it cam back, the volume macintosh seems ti be okay, I also ran the verify and permissions repair, both came back okay.

I was actually hoping that they would find something, so they could repair. I shut the computer down, and restated with out holding a key, and I started up great. I'm baffled. I have moved 20 GB to an external hard drive, as I only had 10% open space.

I have Tech Tool 6, would you recommend to run a repair check on that, or just leave well enough alone.

I agree with you on the new Mac's, I have problems with no disc for back up, until they realize their mistake I will stay with Snow a Leopard. This is the first problem I have experienced, so I can't complain. Their last programs are not as perfected as under Steve, prior to his handling over the reins, hope this is not going to be the future we can expect from Apple.

I will wait to here back as to your suggestion regarding the Tech Tool check

Thanks for all your help.

Gratefully,

Cheri

Feb 5, 2014 7:48 AM in response to BDAqua

Cheri, having only 10% available space on you HD just might be the whole problem. You moved 20GB; what's your available space now?

I'm interested in how you were able to get it started in order to run DU; and to move apps? Your original post says you can't restart.

Not sure why you didn't run Tech Tool right off the bat. You had a problem; you have TT; use it. I might find something the DU didn't. Given that, I still think too little available space could very well be the problem.

Cheri and BDAqua: concerning new OS releases. From OS9 thru 10.6 I've had nothing but better results with each iteration. With each one, I've had fewer and fewer problems requiring Disk Utiliy or third party utilities. Both my Disk Warrior and Tech Tool Pro are out of date since I haven't used them in at least two or three years. It's not even as important as it used to be to run Repair Permissions. Admittedly, Apple's upgrades to some apps (like iTunes), that's another subject. Just saying, I think the OS has become more and more stable and trouble-free.

Feb 5, 2014 11:08 AM in response to David Cun

Hi David,

I was able to safe boot, which allowed me to move movies to my LaCie. This allowed me to clear up space on my hard drive.

I have 120 G, which is now showing 33 G available, so a little over 25% available space.

I followed BD Aquaa advice on the using disc utilities with start up from my installation disc. I was able to insert the disc in the safe mode, then shut down. Restarted, ran disc repair and permission repair. Disc Utilities found nothing, but when I shut down, no problems restarting.

I have had tech tool pro for several years and never used it because since 2008 this is my first problem. I do keep it updated, currently have Tech Tool Pro 6, have not purchased 7 yet. You should still be able to use yours, just update.

Just ran it, and it found no problems.

Your thought on the available space could be possible. I had been getting warnings that I only had 10% space left! but it never shut down on it's own before. To me 12 G of space left would take ages to use, so I wasn't too concerned.

As for me, 5 1/2 years with snow leopard, and no problems, I'll stay with it. A friend has to always have the most current, and has experienced many issues. When your not a geek, to me it's best to remain on a secure program.

Mac mini shut down on its own, will not restart, grey screen, spinning wheel. Unplugged everything, will still not restart. Did safe boot, will not restart after safe boot, only grey screen with spinning wheel.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.