Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I force an iPhone to shut off with broken power button, unresponsive screen?

My screen is now unresponsive to touch, so I can't slide my finger to unlock. I am able to access assistive touch and pull the bottom menu up (with brightness settings, volume, etc) from the bottom, but I can't slide it back down. I found that this isn't an unusual problem, and I just have to force the iphone to shut off. However, my top menu button has been stuck for about a week and doesn't work. Even if I hold down the lock screen option in assistive touch and the power off screen appears, I can't shut it down because my screen is unresponsive. Waiting for the battery to die out would take days or weeks.

Is there anything I can do other than bringing it in? It's extremely frustrating.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 6:24 PM

34 replies

Mar 23, 2017 4:53 PM in response to ClareIA

Only ways I know:

- Easy: Use assistive touch: Settings > General > Accessibility > assistive touch. Once you can see the Assistive touch button: touch it > device > lock screen: press it for a while, you'll see the power-off slider.

To power it back on: just plug the charger, it'll turn on itself.

If the touch screen isn't working:

- Run down the battery, to run it down fast record videos with the flash on (in Slow Motion if you have a 6, 6s, SE or 7).

- Quick one, but requires opening the iPhone: disconnect the battery. If you connect it again it'll remain turned off. If you connect the charger, it'll unavoidably turn on.

Assistive touch doesn't offer power off as far as I know.

Feb 3, 2014 7:32 PM in response to Chris CA

I read a similar thread concerning the unresponsive screen. Just like me, their Assistive Touch worked & they were able to pull up their menu bar. All they had to do to fix the screen was to shut it completely off and restart. It was a glitch rather than the phone being truly broken.

Although the nearest Apple store is hours away, I'll see if Best Buy would be able to help. If not, I'm just going to upgrade.

Feb 4, 2014 4:59 AM in response to ClareIA

Best Buy will not likely be of much help...they are not an Apple Authorized Service Provider, that is, someone Apple has certified to do repairs. If the screen is not working properly in a 4s, Apple would not replace the screen, they only do that at some of the US Apple stores for the iPhone 5 series. Their solution would probably be to replace the iPhone 4s entirely.

You might also check with your carrier and see if you are elligible for a new iPhone, that may be a good option for you.

Mar 13, 2014 12:14 AM in response to ClareIA

It's pretty simple. There is a little bubble that you can bring up on the screen called assistive touch.

Go to;

Settings, general, accessibility, go right down to assistive touch and switch on.

A bubble should appear on screen, then just click the bubble, click device, then simply hold down the lock screen icon.

To just lock the screen tap it once. The bubble icon will stay there when on all of you apps. You can move it around your screen until you find a spot that doesn't disturb you. You can also use this to press the home screen button if it is broken and lots more.

Hope this helps!

Mar 13, 2014 6:21 AM in response to hannahbieber99

The point that Chris and I were making all along is still the same, a non-working screen is a non-working screen. Running the battery down to shutoff and charging will not make the screen work. The only fix for the iPhone 4s at this time is replacement at an Apple store genius bar. The iPhone 4s is not being repaired at this time by Apple stores. All they do is replace the entire unit, $199 in the US.

How do I force an iPhone to shut off with broken power button, unresponsive screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.