Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I transfer photos from my broken iphone 4 to my laptop?

A few days ago, my phone dropped on the ground really hard resulting the screen to shatter and shut off. While plugging it into my laptop it suddenly turned on again and there was light through the cracks. It can turn it on and off as I click the power button but the screen was still blacked out with bits of light seeping out the cracks of my broken phone. I want to be able to retrieve my photos somehow because they're really important memories of mines, is there a way I can get my photos out of my phone to my laptop?

iPhone 4

Posted on Feb 3, 2014 9:47 PM

18 replies

Jul 21, 2017 4:48 PM in response to rmcleod1980

No. Not unless you did one of the following in the past:

• Enabled iCloud photos on the phone
  • Installed Google Photos on the phone, which would have automatically backed them up
  • Installed upthere.com on the phone, which also would have automatically backed them up
  • Installed dropbox, box.com, or shutterfly (or similar) apps on the phone
  • Backed up the phone to iCloud
  • Backed up the phone to a computer, then backed up that computer to an external drive or a cloud-based backup service such as Carbonite or Livedrive

There are probably a few other methods that I have missed. BTW, I use four of these to protect my valuable photos.

Apr 30, 2016 10:50 AM in response to msstatedawg

If the OP had been importing photos to their phone in the past, it would have worked without having to access the screen. Once you have trusted the device, which is something that has to be done with the latest iOS, the trust remains in place for the phone and computer. It would not, however, worked if this was a computer the phone had not been connected to in the past.

Apr 30, 2016 4:16 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

If you regularly use your phone and regularly back up the phone you probably won't notice. The trust certificate expires after about a week and the phone will require a passcode after things like battery fully discharging or after a period of time since it has been entered. Also, cracked/damaged screens often "ghost touch" and enter the wrong passcode. For most cases, by the time someone gets to the point of reaching out for help for backing up a phone, they will be required to enter the passcode.

Apr 30, 2016 4:20 PM in response to mendonipadrehab

Okay, I agree with the damaged screen issue, as I have read and responded to a number of threads that have users that are using their regular computer and if the screen is damaged, they are prompted for a passcode before trying to do anything, be it import photos or attempt to backup/sync.

I'm not sure about the expiration, as I was out of town for a week and did not backup/sync or import photos on my device. When I returned home I connected to my computer and after selecting the device just clicked on sync and everything worked just fine. So, the original statement that you made about the requirement to enter the passcode is conditional, not an all time standard.

How can I transfer photos from my broken iphone 4 to my laptop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.