Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Appleworks & Snow Leopard don't mix...

The only reason I'm posting here is because after trying to post the question below on the Appleworks forum, I was told by an individual there, that my question would probably stand a better chance of being answered here:

Very recently, I had to do something with Appleworks and when I clicked on the app, it kept quitting. Up to this point it was working fine. I dumped the AW app in my and the folder in the applications folder. When I click the installer to install from the cd, the same message comes up. When the image below comes up on my computer and I try to send a report, I can't because there is no send button anywhere. I have pasted only some of what the message I get says, because it's too long to post the whole thing here. Would someone here kindly let me know why the app is doing this? Thank you in advance for any insight. -K

User uploaded file

Process: LaunchCFMApp [293]

Path: /Applications/AppleWorks 6/AppleWorks 6.app/Contents/MacOS/AppleWorks 6

Identifier: com.apple.appleworks

Version: Z-6.2.4 (Z-6.2.4, Copyright Apple Computer, Inc. 1991-2002)

Build Info: AppleWorks-1~0

Code Type: PPC (Translated)

Parent Process: launchd [113]

Date/Time: 2014-02-04 11:24:36.891 -0800

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)

Report Version: 6

Interval Since Last Report: 1211433 sec

Crashes Since Last Report: 40

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 7

Anonymous UUID: 776E28A7-A4E6-4B52-9B39-2C20BDECA498

My operating system is 10.6.8/intel

Posted on Feb 4, 2014 11:38 AM

13 replies

Feb 4, 2014 11:42 AM in response to Kathryne_B [nom de plume]

AW has not been supported in years. Although it may run in Snow Leopard there is no guarantee it will. And, if you are using a PPC version of AW then you must install Rosetta in OS X (not the language program) to run the PPC version of AW.

You may have better luck locating the Universal version of AW 6 which may run better with Snow Leopard, but no guarantees.

Feb 4, 2014 12:15 PM in response to Kathryne_B [nom de plume]

If at some point in the not-so-distant past you had to re-install Snow Leopard

10.6(.8) and somehow did not include to re-install Rosetta, you may have to

see if that is worth the effort, and hope for a positive outcome if you do...

Since I haven't a computer running 10.6.8, this has not been an issue, while

I do have one computer that could run this OS as a last upgrade, if bought.

Most references are now in archive, so the Support document is as well.

•Mac OS X 10.6: If you need to install Rosetta:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph6531

•Rosetta broken in OS X 10.6.8 after security update...*

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57370890-263/rosetta-broken-in-os-x-10.6.8- after-security-update/

"...*The Rosetta translator in Snow Leopard that is used for running

PowerPC applications is reportedly not working for many people after

they apply the 2012-001 security update..." - topher kessler, mfi cnet.

If your problem actually started sometime in 2012 or after applying the

Security update mentioned in the second link above, note this article.

Hopefully this helps.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Feb 4, 2014 2:33 PM in response to K Shaffer

K Shaffer wrote:

If at some point in the not-so-distant past you had to re-install Snow Leopard

10.6(.8) and somehow did not include to re-install Rosetta, you may have to

see if that is worth the effort, and hope for a positive outcome if you do...

Since I haven't a computer running 10.6.8, this has not been an issue, while

I do have one computer that could run this OS as a last upgrade, if bought.

Most references are now in archive, so the Support document is as well.

•Mac OS X 10.6: If you need to install Rosetta:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph6531

•Rosetta broken in OS X 10.6.8 after security update...*

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57370890-263/rosetta-broken-in-os-x-10.6.8- after-security-update/

"...*The Rosetta translator in Snow Leopard that is used for running

PowerPC applications is reportedly not working for many people after

they apply the 2012-001 security update..." - topher kessler, mfi cnet.

If your problem actually started sometime in 2012 or after applying the

Security update mentioned in the second link above, note this article.

Hopefully this helps.

As indicated in my original post, the problem started few days ago. There was a software update a couple of months ago and I hadn't used AW since I guess before the update. So, I guess that's why it isn't working. I tried the solution you suggested above, but even after installing Rosetta, the AW app is still not opening. 😟 So, I guess I either have to see if the AW app works using my older desktop or one of my laptops. What a PAIN Apple causes with their STUPID software upgrades!! Thanx for your time in responding and for the suggestions. Also, thanx to Kappy too. At least now I know what the cause of the problem is. Have a nice day! -K

Feb 4, 2014 8:59 PM in response to Kathryne_B [nom de plume]

Did you have an AppleWorks 6.2 installer, or did

you just drop the application into the system?

If you have an older install disc (or, from a different Mac restore-install maybe?) that has AW on it, you could use Pacifist to extract the AppleWorks from an install disc and install it into your computer from the desktop. This method goes outside of the usual and customary installion since the other installers which would not work, do not get used.

Of course if you had a Mac that died and you saved the install disc set, there is hope for some vintage applications that may have shipped in a system bundle with your later Mac; so it is possible to restore a working application without running the installers that may not work in other hardware circumstances.

An installer generally would know where to put the parts that a drag & drop fails to correctly place in OS X. The AppleWorks 6.2(.9) application has two sections, one is Classic for OS 9.1/9.2 and the other runs OS X Native. Both are installed by the same setup. But you only need the OS X version and Pacifist can make it work and the utility Pacifist may still run without cost in demo mode, if you have an original application install disc.

The older versions of Pacifist I'd used (& have archived)

were for OS X systems prior to 10.6.8. The newer version

on Charlessoft site is for 10.6.8 & Later. They have an

archive of older versions for prior OS X & 32-bit Macs.

•Pacifist 3.2.5 for 64-bit processors:

http://www.charlessoft.com/

•Pacifist for 32-bit & older Mac OS X systems:

http://www.charlessoft.com/pacifist_olderversions.html

Anyway, thought I'd try & hope you had success.

Been awhile since I spent some 25 hour days at

a troublesome Mac. I've had some 40+ hour days.

Pacifist can work to extract the AW or other application

from the install DVD or CD, without running its installer.

Did you try suggestions in the macfixit article including

the reinstall of 10.6.8 update from Apple?

Feb 4, 2014 11:39 PM in response to K Shaffer

Thank you, K Shaffer, for still trying to help me with this. The AW app is the least of my worries right now. I went over to the site you suggested I read about and downloaded something called OS X 10.6.8 Combo update and now every time I try using my Safari browser it QUITS too! I have all of my URLs addresses and numerous bookmarks on Safari. My Dh says the download is on the Apple website, but I'm just not finding it. So if you'd be so kind as to suggest where I could find a download for Safari that fits Snow Leopard, I'd be much obliged. When I get the Safari browser working again, I'll look into the suggested you've posted above. Thanx!

-Kathryne

Feb 5, 2014 3:20 AM in response to Kathryne_B [nom de plume]

Did you go to the Apple Support page for the...

•Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1:

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1399 ...(?)

{If this support page link ^ is the same as you used, that was it}

About the Mac OS X v10.6.8 update:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4561

Then, did you run Disk Utility > repair disk permissions > on your Macintosh HD ...(?)

Sometimes a Safeboot (shift key held on startup until you see/login screen)

can help as it tries to fix a few things on startup and also boots in limited

OS X that could be helpful in further troubleshooting issues in the OS. I've

used this, and once started in safeboot, then repaired disk permissions, &

after, restart. Mostly between software updates, or after long duration uptime.

What version of Safari do you have in the system?

The following is what is listed on Support...

•Safari 5.1.10 for Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8:

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1569
48.40 MB (v. 5.1.10 Safari)

You can use Firefox, iCab, and a few others satisfactorily.

But the real issues behind the computer problems need

to be addressed first.

Do you have a complete backup of the hard drive contents on an

external hard disk drive or other archive? To avoid loss of data.

You may need to start a new topic thread in ASC regarding the issues

overall your computer faces, & details of what happened prior to them

and not just AppleWorks or Safari browser... there is more going on.

I see you posted a safari question in that ASC discussion area:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5869211

Hopefully this helps...

Feb 5, 2014 11:24 AM in response to K Shaffer

Thank you SO much K Shaffer! I thought I was done fir, but your links helped me restore my Safari (menubar and all of my bookmarks as well)!! I gave you an A+ for your help. (I'm very 🙂)! Now, I will see if I can get my AW to work and I will let you know if get working again. I have also bookmarked the link to the Safari download. Thanx again! Have a great day.

-Kathyrne

P.S. In answer to your question about keeping a backup on an external HD, I do have most of my Mac stuff backed up, except for the Safari .dmg download, which I will do sometime today.

Feb 5, 2014 3:09 PM in response to K Shaffer

"Did you try suggestions in the macfixit article including

the reinstall of 10.6.8 update from Apple?"

Hi again:

Well, I tried everything as you suggested with the Pacifist, but it said it wasn't able to read the install disc. I even drag the AW installer and download an updater for the AW and placed it into my Apps folder, but it's not going to budge. It still keeps quitting on me. Is there a link for the "macfixit article," that I missed on any of the posts here? If you have it, would you pin it up for me? Thanx for all your help. Have a good day. -K

Feb 5, 2014 3:58 PM in response to Kathryne_B [nom de plume]

The article was subtitled within the web page as being a macfixit item, in the cnet page where you'd gone to see the link to get that item. So I asked to confirm, while also I went into the article again to check the link, too. Some older articles have links that may be to third-party archives, or to older or perhaps defective material; so I double check and search out a trusted source or one with great references if third party.

Article name, reads: rosetta broken in os x 10.6.8 after security update | MacFixit - CNET reviews

In this story a second page link off-site seems to be broken, that had gone to a patch that purportedly fixed an issue the software update for Snow Leopard allegedly caused Rosetta users. So that part is gone now and unavailable for testing. The author of the main MFI CNet page is a contributor in ASC discussions.

The next set of possibilities would include the primary one: to make a complete backup to a capable externally enclosed hard disk drive, the kind with suitable housing that supports Mac OS X and system boot clones. And carbon copy cloner utility. And a mercury enclosure from OWC online.

Then you could do an erase and install of your computer's hard disk drive; perhaps while booted from the Installer DVD, the option in Disk Utility to 'secure erase' and have it over-write the drive with a single pass, would be OK. That would require the drive to be reformatted, however, prior to the new installation. Or just an 'archive and install' so you'd get a new system folder. But that can be too patchy to figure out what was missing to get done.

The secure erase - and - the erase and install are not both necessary, yet those of us who've had issues with older hard disk drives and possible sector errors or corruption, would overwrite the drive with zeros, then reformat, prior to an all-new installation from scratch. But have a bootable backup clone on an external drive that has been tested to work with the computer and OS X. This actually would be a preventative measure.

Getting the parts together ahead of trouble and setting out to do that, make a clone of a healthy OS X system that is installed and updated in the computer, is a task. The job includes knowing or learning how to do the clone, not stopping at first minor issue and thinking the process did not work, etc. And to get correct hardware that can work with a boot clone in OS X and also run on its own power supply are important details.

{You cannot drag an installer from a media DVD or CD into a system and have it do anything. The installer has to run and put the parts in the correct places. If you used Pacifist to extract the parts, they would be available on the desktop or in folders you could see, and then it could help install them from there. If the Mac OS can see the installer disc and files that exist in there, the Pacifist can find and take them apart, and install the part you need without having to run the DVD's installer.}

With a back up of the computer so your works are not lost, then a rebuild of a working operating system could begin. However there probably are items in there you installed that contributed to the issues you face, and if you knew what they were, it may help; with those that could be removed solving part of the problem. But what.

I suggest you re-organize the issues in this case and present them in a new topic thread, in hopes of additional input to resolve them; since a solve or partially solved topic gets few or no more helpful ideas.

As far as AppleWorks installer discs, you may need to try & find a nearly last version DVD, for use in Mac, that would have been available to early Intel-based Mac users, and that would've had 'universal' or dual installation for Intel-based Mac and powerPC based Mac.

I was able to extract Appleworks 6.2 from a set of cast-off eMac install-restore discs with Pacifist, and install the application in a G3 white iBook running Panther 10.3.9. Then found the step update to 6.2.9. Among other items, just to say I did it. And several items over the life of Tiger 10.4(.11) and a few in Leopard 10.5. But have not done alot with that utility lately. I still have and use AW 6.2.9.

Sorry to not be of much additional help, least not at a distance.

A new thread and topic is a better idea at this point.

edited

Feb 5, 2014 4:47 PM in response to K Shaffer

If that was the article it was in, then yes, I did read it, but that part was probably already gone when I got there. Thanx for ALL that info you've posted, but it's a just bit of overkill for getting AW to work. It'd be just my luck (if I had the time) to follow all your instructions to a tee and have the blasted CD or AW not work after doing all that work. I'll just find some other app pretty much the same as AW, such as Microsoft word and work with that. I also have an older computer that seems to be Ok in recognizing AW and the AW's CD. I tested it last night. I'll just be careful not to do a systems update on the older computer. And doing a new thread and topic will only lead to more answers which will probably not be as helpful as yours. It is quite obvious that the CW for this computer was long ready for the bone yard. ...And hey, don't be sorry. It's not your fault that this computer decided to get a hair up it's slot. You were of great help. 😀 You have a great day/night and take care. -Kathryne

Appleworks & Snow Leopard don't mix...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.