Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is VPN on iPhone

what is vpn on my iPhone and do i need it on?

[Re-Titled by Host]

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular

Posted on Feb 5, 2014 4:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2017 7:50 PM

A virtual private network, commonly referred to as a VPN, is a type of connection you can use over the internet that helps to secure your identity as you surf the web.

A VPN is important because it’s a line of defense between you and other users of the internet. VPNs have many different uses, but some of the most important are privacy and security.

Some VPNs are free, and some are paid, but all VPNs have terms and conditions that you need to abide by, unless you create your own and you can set your own rules.

Typically, paid VPNs are of higher quality and security than free ones, but some free VPNs are just as good depending on what you’ll be using it for.

Using a VPN on your iOS device and your Mac is a good idea in most scenarios where you want additional privacy and security, but the process of using a VPN on each is different in many ways.

VPNs can be had on your iOS device by downloading VPN apps from the App Store or by configuring your own VPN configuration profile in the device’s Settings app. Most of the time, downloading a VPN service from the App Store is the easiest route to take.

VPN123 and TunnelBear, which is the VPN i have used in our example, provides a free VPN service for its users with limited data usage every day.

VPN123:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vpn123-free-vpn-hai-wai-liu/id1010109406?mt=8

TunnelBear:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tunnelbear-free-vpn-unlimited-secure-vpn-proxy/i d564842283?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

45 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2017 7:50 PM in response to Oldshep59

A virtual private network, commonly referred to as a VPN, is a type of connection you can use over the internet that helps to secure your identity as you surf the web.

A VPN is important because it’s a line of defense between you and other users of the internet. VPNs have many different uses, but some of the most important are privacy and security.

Some VPNs are free, and some are paid, but all VPNs have terms and conditions that you need to abide by, unless you create your own and you can set your own rules.

Typically, paid VPNs are of higher quality and security than free ones, but some free VPNs are just as good depending on what you’ll be using it for.

Using a VPN on your iOS device and your Mac is a good idea in most scenarios where you want additional privacy and security, but the process of using a VPN on each is different in many ways.

VPNs can be had on your iOS device by downloading VPN apps from the App Store or by configuring your own VPN configuration profile in the device’s Settings app. Most of the time, downloading a VPN service from the App Store is the easiest route to take.

VPN123 and TunnelBear, which is the VPN i have used in our example, provides a free VPN service for its users with limited data usage every day.

VPN123:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vpn123-free-vpn-hai-wai-liu/id1010109406?mt=8

TunnelBear:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tunnelbear-free-vpn-unlimited-secure-vpn-proxy/i d564842283?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Jan 5, 2017 8:17 AM in response to Steven Shmerler

I just wanted to THANK YOU for being 'strong,' 'brave," kind & caring enough~To basically "Take-up" for someone that is honestly seeking an answe to a question they don't know! I, Myself, AM 36 years old, & have been 'playing-around' on-line since I went into elementary school! I've also owned EVERY model of iPhone ever made~EXCEPT ANYTHING from the iPhone 7 & up!

Come to find out; I WAS WAY OFF!!! ***BUT*** Its people like YOUVthat TRULY make this world a better place! & I just wanted to take a few minutes to remind you of that! ^^^Something as simple as someone like you-Responding the way you did~COMPLETELY CHANGED MY ENTIRE ATTITUDE FIR THE DAY & PRETTY MUCH..... "RESTORED MY HOPE & FAITH IN HUMMANITY!" *^*^THANK YOU!^*^*

Jan 25, 2017 12:15 PM in response to Steven Shmerler

Well said Steven , very well said... Tim, being a douch€ is just so unnecessary. The guy just needed a little help and some people come to sites like these to try and learn some of the things they don't know or are unsure of.

They way I see it you had three options.

Not answering

Helping

Being a condescending douch€

Unfortunately you chose the third which says all anyone needs to know about your character

Apr 6, 2017 7:35 AM in response to Oldshep59

VPN a Virtual Private Network is a secure network, created over the public internet connection to enable the users hide their identity over the worldwideweb. Some websites are blocked in specific countries so by using VPN you can unblocked those websites.. if you are internet user and want the secure connection you can useiPhone VPNservice.

See also best paid vpn .

Apr 6, 2017 7:53 AM in response to johnfitch

johnfitch wrote:

VPN a Virtual Private Network is a secure network, created over the public internet connection to enable the users hide their identity over the worldwideweb. Some websites are blocked in specific countries so by using VPN you can unblocked those websites.. if you are internet user and want the secure connection you can useiPhone VPNservice.

See also best paid vpn .

Um. NO. That is is NOT what a VPN is for.

Using a VPN to access content that is restricted by region is, at best, a violation of the terms of use for the content provider you're accessing, and at worst, a crime.

May 1, 2017 11:50 AM in response to KiltedTim

Your response is offensive. I was just wanting to know the same question about VPN and your response came up. I have had iPhones all the way back and I was born in 59. I do not know the answer and by your warped thinking I should remain ignorant. Thank God I have a mind of my own and can disregard your response and keep searching from others that are more considerate. Even though I did not know what VPN was, I am not ignorant of privacy issues and our rights, living in Canada, this was always a right.

American corporations came up and started changing privacy standards to their ways. They threatened take jobs and leave if they did not get there way.

I love America and the people in it and have spent many years there on and off. I'm glad to say I never met many like you and your attitude.

Jun 16, 2017 11:35 PM in response to KiltedTim

Sheesh KiltedTim! What's the use if you responding to questions and comments on a "help site"? Especially one through Apple. The initial response to Oldguy59 was rude and not helpful.

I had the same question as did many others. For some of us technology can be intimidating, we don't need further intimidation from "helpers".

Reminds me of my 30 years experience of teaching maths to Junior High kids. Most came into class really put off and disliking the subject. If I'd had the same attitude how many of thos kids would have left the year understanding and liking maths?

Jun 25, 2017 7:57 PM in response to Network 23

Anyone who intercepts anyone's data is a hacker. NSA are hackers, MI5 etc every country who sanctions eavesdropping are hacking into communications. Therefore the whole lot of them are hackers whether you believe what they are doing is ethical or not. So VPN to stop hackers seeing my data would include every person, spy agency country who tries to intercept any messages.

What is VPN on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.