Hello, G5s can only run 10.5.8 at the highest.
* Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or PowerPC G4 (867MHz or faster) processor
minimum system requirements
* 512MB of memory (I say 1.5GB for PPC at least, 2-3GB minimum for IntelMacs)
* DVD drive for installation
* 9GB of available disk space (I say 30GB at least)
Classic/OS9 Apps no longer supported.
May be available from Apple again???
Trouble is Apple no longer sells it, check eBay & such for the Retail version, not the Gray Discs...
- Make a bootable clone of whole hard disk to an external disk with Carbon Copy Cloner
- Make sure you can boot from the external disk
- Erase internal hard disk with new install DVD & partitioning into 2 volumes
- Install new OS on one volume
- Don't import anything during install process - it may reintroduce historic problems
- Use Carbon Copy Cloner to return bootable original OS to the other volume
- Keep using Software Update on new OS until it can update no more
- If practical install non-Apple applications to new OS with their installer DVDs
- Copy data files from old OS to new as required