Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to unlock disabled iPad without restoring/resetting...?

Hello... :'(

My iPad has been disabled as I forgot the password and entered it wrong many times. I did some research and everyone said the only official way to unlock it is to restore or factory reset it. But I really need the information such as my camera roll. The thing is, why cant I unlock it using my apple id? All the apps and data on my ipad has been used and downloaded with my apple id. When I sign into my icloud, I can see my ipad as "offline". I can either erase my ipad, or activate the lost mode and the alarm. I thought maybe there must be a way to unlock my ipad since I have the apple id used to register it...? PLEASE... I really need my info so pls can anyone hep me? :'(((

iPad

Posted on Feb 8, 2014 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2017 4:58 PM

Hi, I have disabled my ipad and read your experience restoring it without losing data. I know it's

been awhile since you posted but I'm wondering if you have any other instructions, results to add.

I would appreciate hearing anything you can give me before I try this 'delicate' process!

36 replies

Feb 22, 2016 8:10 PM in response to orionrush

Yes, I have the same problem. A friend of mine who is not so tech-savvy did not back up photos etc, and the ipad became disabled as the password was entered wrongly too many times. And all the data of many years is now lost as there does not seem a way to recover that data. I think this is the stupidest security measure I have ever seen - whatever the excuse, this is nothing but a major design flaw - how could one lose data stored in one's own device for no good reason. There must be a better way. Perhaps a password used for apple id account can be used to unlock the iPad - which is a simple solution, and no less secure. Someone who steals an iPad and does not have the apple account password still cannot enable a disabled iPad. Please Apple, listen up and do something about this - too many people have suffered - I am a big Apple fan and come close to throwing the iPad into the bin - these days, what good is an iPad when you cannot access the data on it, especially with more and more data being stored on the iPad, e.g., 64GB and more. In the future, who is going to risk losing such large amounts of precious data, and as if Internet connection will be fast enough all the time to keep the data on the mobile synchronized with iCloud servers?

Feb 8, 2014 12:45 PM in response to 2random4me

How can I unlock my iPad if I forgot the passcode?

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ipad/ipad-troubleshooting-repair-faq/ipad- how-to-unlock-open-forgot-code-passcode-password-login.html

iOS: Device disabled after entering wrong passcode

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1212

How can I unlock my iPad if I forgot the passcode?

http://tinyurl.com/7ndy8tb

How to Reset a Forgotten Password for an iOS Device

http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-a-Forgotten-Password-for-an-iOS-Device

Using iPhone/iPad Recovery Mode

http://ipod.about.com/od/iphonetroubleshooting/a/Iphone-Recovery-Mode.htm

You may have to do this several times.

Saw this solution on another post about an iPad in a school environment. Might work on your iPad so you won't lose everything.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

‘iPad is disabled’ fix without resetting using iTunes

Today I met my match with an iPad that had a passcode entered too many times, resulting in it displaying the message ‘iPad is disabled – Connect to iTunes’. This was a student iPad and since they use Notability for most of their work there was a chance that her files were not all backed up to the cloud. I really wanted to just re-activate the iPad instead of totally resetting it back to our default image.

I reached out to my PLN on Twitter and had some help from a few people through retweets and a couple of clarification tweets. I love that so many are willing to help out so quickly. Through this I also learned that I look like Lt. Riker from Star Trek (thanks @FillineMachine).

Through some trial and error (and a little sheer luck), I was able to reactivate the iPad without loosing any data. Note, this will only work on the computer it last synced with. Here’s how:

1. Configurator is useless in reactivating a locked iPad. You will only be able to completely reformat the iPad using Configurator. If that’s ok with you, go for it – otherwise don’t waste your time trying to figure it out.

2. Open iTunes with the iPad disconnected.

3. Connect the iPad to the computer and wait for it to show up in the devices section in iTunes.

4. Click on the iPad name when it appears and you will be given the option to restore a backup or setup as a new iPad (since it is locked).

5. Click ‘Setup as new iPad’ and then click restore.

6. The iPad will start backing up before it does the full restore and sync. CANCEL THE BACKUP IMMEDIATELY. You do this by clicking the small x in the status window in iTunes.

7. When the backup cancels, it immediately starts syncing – cancel this as well using the same small x in the iTunes status window.

8. The first stage in the restore process unlocks the iPad, you are basically just canceling out the restore process as soon as it reactivates the iPad.

If done correctly, you will experience no data loss and the result will be a reactivated iPad. I have now tried this with about 5 iPads that were locked identically by students and each time it worked like a charm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Try it and good luck. You have nothing more to lose if it doesn't work for you.

 Cheers, Tom 😉

Nov 25, 2016 5:25 PM in response to 2random4me

Restoring as new in iTunes is not the "official" way - it is the sole means of resetting a forgotten screen lock passcode or resetting a device in disabled mode. There is no escaping that fact. The individual device's screen lock passcode has nothing at all to do with anyone's AppleID. If you have a backup (iCloud or iTunes) and your photo's safely stored somewhere as for safe keeping, you need not loose anything. Just restore from backup once you've retired the device and reset the forgotten passcode.

Nov 13, 2015 6:27 PM in response to 2random4me

This absolutely wonderful man at apple helped me today. I got right back into my iPad and nothing is lost. If you have ever connected your iPad to your computer through iTunes and set your computer as a trusted computer, all you have to do is connect them again, and make sure the circle beside "this computer" is 'highlighted' and click 'back up now', even if you want to then cancel it immediately after. You will now be able to re enter your code into your iPad. Your computer being a trusted device has essentially cleared the disabled iPad screen and unlocked your iPad for you and you are now free to re enter your code on your own.

Oct 17, 2017 3:05 PM in response to 2random4me

This is the stupidest security function ever. I support Apple very much but sorry this is ******** and I’m ****** off. UNLOCK WITH APPLE ID. I can’t prove an ownership of my iOS device when 6x wrong password?? I know back up back up... What if let’s say Im on vacation where internet ***** and my child disable iPad or iPhone with 100gb of videos on it. MacOS will ask my Apple ID and unlocks no matter what. Can someone explain to me, would it be less secure if there’s an opportunity to unlock iOS device with Apple ID password or some other ownership proving procedure. This happend to of my good customers, and she never gonna erase her iPad with tones of notes in it. Already bought a new one so she can work. Thanks

Nov 4, 2017 10:06 PM in response to shadowcreek

Why not try it? You have nothing to lose. And from the instructions provided, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't.

Be aware, however, that the response you are asking about was posted almost 4 years ago. No way to know if you still would be able to do it with any iOS device.

You are sure that you don't have a backup in iCloud?

Cheers,

GB

Feb 22, 2016 8:19 PM in response to SengLoke

First, Apple is not here, this is a user to user technical support forum. Secondly, keeping data on your device without backing it up is asking for problems. What if the device is stolen? What if it is dropped in a lake or run over? You would be in exactly the same boat.

You can always look into a 3rd party recovery service, but the way that a forgotten passcode and a disabled device is managed is not going to change. Many people have the option set up to actually erase the device if the passcode is attempted more than 10 times. This is just how it works.

Setting up automatic backups to iCloud is easy and requires little or no effort on the part of the device owner. Automatic import of your photos or use of the iCloud Photo Library also provide you with alternative and effortless ways to keep your data safe.

And if you have issues with syncing with iCloud, then iTunes has always been a a resource not only to back up your device, but, to keep all of your purchases safe. If you have purchased media and you do not keep a copy of it in your iTunes library, then if that media is pulled from the iTunes store, you will lose it.

If your data is valuable to you, then keeping on a small, portable, electronic device with no backup is going to end in problems one way or the other.

Best of luck,

GB

How to unlock disabled iPad without restoring/resetting...?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.