Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes stops updating podcasts / iTunes has stopped updating this podcast because you have not listened to any episodes recently. Would you like to resume updating this podcast?

Hi,

My iTunes is set to automatically update podcasts and keep the last five episodes of each podcast.

However, iTunes appears to stop updating podcasts after several (five?) unwatched episodes and gives me an exclamation mark in the podcast overview. Clicking on that, I get the message: "iTunes has stopped updating this podcast because you have not listened to any episodes recently. Would you like to resume updating this podcast?"

This is not what I intend... and not what I told iTunes to do... (at least this my reading of the below settings)

User uploaded file

This stopping is rather less then ideal: (1) if I am going away for two weeks, which I often do, I would still like to have the last five days of news, not the last five days of news back from the date I left, (2) I need to click update for approx. 20 podcast on regular basis, (3) my iPhone is synced to iTunes as soon as I come home, if iTunes does not have the podcasts downloaded, they are not copied over to the iPhone, and the iPhone will attempt to download the episodes via 3G next time I play the podcast on the go, (4) I am mainly using iTunes functions, such as smart playlists and podcasts, through another app (Plex, a fullscreen media player) and it is a pain to have to go to iTunes to manually do things. That is why this bothering me...

How can I get iTunes to behave as intended? (From reading through old posts I know that there is a Doug script adressing this problem, which I have just set up, but I would prefer to use internal settings if possible... maybe I am just missing a setting)

Thank you for your ideas!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 4GB RAM, Intel Core Duo 2, 3.06 GHz

Posted on Feb 9, 2014 12:21 AM

37 replies

Feb 9, 2014 12:54 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thank you for the response, Roger!

OK, that's how it is then.

The iTunes podcasts settings should be reworded in that case because it suggest something different from what it does. And, of course, it would be ideal for Apple to make this more flexible and allow users to set up their podcast downloads in their way and not be so motherly (c'mon, Apple, your users are not as dumb as you think, and they have uncapped Internet connections these days anyway)...

Btw., for anyone interested, this is external script I am using now:

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=updateexpiredpodcasts

Including the "cron job" setup here:

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/2011/12/updated-update-expired-podcasts-v2-2-and-l aunchd-project/

Cannot tell how well it works because I have just set it up, other members of the forum say it works for them...

If anyone knows of in-app solutions, please share...

Mar 16, 2014 11:15 AM in response to _daniel_

I have this problem too. I have a number of podcasts I subscribe to that I listen to only occasionally when the topic is of interest, but I want to see every episode to decide if I will listen or not.

Going over to enter feedback now. *

And of course it's another layer of fussiness with the vile podcasts app, to keep iTunes and Podcasts in sync.

*http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html > Enhancement request > Other

Subject: Stop iTunes deciding which podcasts to download

"I subscribe to many podcasts and some I only listen to occasionally, but I always want the latest episodes available for when I have time or the topic is of special interest. I do NOT want to miss episodes because iTunes decides I have not listened enough and has stopped downloading the podcast.

Please provide a toggle to disable this 'feature' for those of us who are capable of deciding what we want to download when and do not need iTunes to do it for us."

I am leery of an iTunes-only script solution now that my Podcast listening is so crippled already by the lack of coordination between iTunes and the Podcasts app.

Apr 16, 2014 12:55 AM in response to _daniel_

Apple say

You've subscribed to a podcast but have more than five unplayed episodes. iTunes will stop automatically downloading newer episodes. You may get the following message:

iTunes has stopped updating this podcast because you have not listened to any episodes recently. Would you like to resume updating this podcast?

You can click Yes to continue downloading additional episodes. Or you can just listen to any part of any episode and a new episode will download at the next update.

That page predates the introduction of the settings you mention, but it appears that they do not affect the outcome. I'm afraid that it's either resume manually as they indicate, or use Doug's script:

http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=updateexpiredpodcasts

Jul 18, 2014 8:47 AM in response to _daniel_

This is NOT a solution to the root cause of this issue, however, there is another script on Doug's Scripts site called: GET Available Podcast Episodes.

This script when run, will present you with a list of all podcasts that have missing episodes. You can then select the ones you want, and then it will present you with the actual list of the missing episodes which you can select and it will grab them all.

As I said - doesn't solve the problem, but at least you can quickly grab missing episodes.

Thought I'd share.

Here is the link to the script: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=getavailableepisodes

Aug 1, 2014 11:33 PM in response to _daniel_

I'm having the same problem with podcasts that I listen to regularly.

It seems like after listening to a podcast on the iphone, the play count gets updated in itunes almost immediately (through iCloud I'm assuming).

So I think that later on when I actually sync it to iTunes it already knows the track is played but isn't resetting whatever counter/flag they use for determining if the podcast has been listened to recently.

No idea how to fix it though...

iTunes stops updating podcasts / iTunes has stopped updating this podcast because you have not listened to any episodes recently. Would you like to resume updating this podcast?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.