Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The backup disk is not in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format, which is required.

im trying to back up my mac book and this keeps poping up so what do i do theres a 1tb space i just bought it and its made by toshiba any help thanks in advance

MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 5:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 10:41 PM

captin lordsith,

you’ll need to run Disk Utility to format your new Toshiba drive to have the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format.

21 replies

Feb 11, 2014 1:14 PM in response to captin lordsith

Reformatting and erasing the disk:

From the Finder pull down on the Go menu to Utilities.

This will open the Applications > Utilities folder.

Plug in the backup drive.

> Disk Utility

> Click on the second left-justified icon (not "Macintosh HD").

> Parition

> Partition Layout > 1 Partition

> Options ... > GUID Partition Table > OK

> Format: Mac OS Extended (journaled)

> Name: Backup 1

> Apply

> File > Quit

 System Preferences > Time Machine

> ON

Unlock the lock if it is locked

> Add or Remove Backup Disk…

Choose Backup 1

In the upper right of the menu bar:

Pull down Time Machine to Back Up Now

From then on when your Time Machine disk is plugged in, Time Machine will make hourly backups.

Feb 5, 2015 5:08 AM in response to Csound1

The name is 1TB Samsung M3 Portable - I am trying to create two partitions though - one for backups and one for general use? Currently there is an initial partition called Samsung, containing the system files of the external drive. I further get the same unmount problem with whatever I try to do with the disk. Also the current partition (Samsung) says that it is in the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format yet Time Machine does not work due to the format problem.

Nov 29, 2015 5:42 PM in response to captin lordsith

I have a new Seagate slim backup plus for my MacBook Air . I havnt been able to use it bacuse "time machine" didnt have Mac OS Extended format.. I've followed the instructions re this issue.

I still cant back up with it. The message from the Time Machine application says Backup Disk Not Avaliable. .. it is pluged in, the light is on.. but its not working and there is no prompt. Can you advise.

The backup disk is not in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format, which is required.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.