Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The Wifi network "" Could Not Be Joined

Hi, I started a new job today and as I was trying to connect to the Wifi network it told me my macbook air could not join. However, my iphone joined no problem. I ran the diagnostic test and i got a folder full of files. I tried restarting my computer and nothing worked. Do you guys know what the problem is? I don't know the brand of the router but I'm pretty sure it's more of a home based one than a professional one because it's a small job. Anyway, let me know which files i should upload to fix this problem. It's the first time it has ever happened on this mac and i'm confused. BTW it's a 2012 air running Mavericks. Thank you all

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 10, 2014 6:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2017 8:16 AM

So, 325 people have this problem too, and after years there is still no solution.

I just changed to a new Macbook Pro with fresh OS and the problem persists, in various locations. It's really annoying.

23 replies

May 6, 2014 7:54 AM in response to Richak33

Hi there, I'm not sure if you still have this problem but I just had it and managed to fix it (despite being relatively tech-inept).

Go to your System Preferences> click on your regular network where it says Network Name and then click 'Advanced...' in the bottom right> Click on the TCP/IP header> and then where it says Configure IPv4, make sure it says "Using DHCP"> then click "Renew DHCP Lease"

Once I did this, my IPv4 address, subnet mask and router number was all filled in & the internet was working again!

I had also changed the location of my Wi-Fi prior in another ill-fated attempt to resolve the issue, so if this hasn't worked for you, I would suggest the location bit also.

Jan 2, 2017 6:05 AM in response to Richak33

in the url you typed 192.168.x.y it gave a prompt to enter admin name & its password , generally in admin - type admin & in the password field , it is typed as password , so that you will be entered in the ISP page . but the user must always form his/her hard to guess password formed in the field ( must write down the password in a diary ) .

The settings must be automatic , & firewall box must be checked . you can consult toll free of Dlink ( you can search the phone number from google ) they will guide you how to do a factory default reset of your router .

Note : Don't do a screen sharing with any one , serial number of your router would be required .

Feb 11, 2014 8:44 AM in response to Richak33

Welcome to Apple Discussions

Have you tried resetting the SMC (you may have to do this more than once - I would not go past trying it 3X)

There are some routers types and settings that do not play well with Mavericks. I do not have a list of them

The files & settings would be on the router. You would need a LAN connection to that (many routers do not allow wireless management for security reasons, and your wireless can't access it anyway) and the password.

It would be helpful if you could identify the Router and it's firmware version.

Feb 11, 2014 3:28 PM in response to Richak33

Seems you have three options - get a new router (if you can not make changes to the old one) and you have tried some of the otherpossible solutions (it says Lion but it has reportedly worked in Mavericks). Contact Apple directly (we are volunteers we do not work for Apple) use a different computer.

Here's some more things to try:

Message was edited by: themachead

Sep 19, 2014 7:22 AM in response to Richak33

Found this thread - hits the nail on the head for me. New Macbook Pro purchased last week, I can connect to a variety of networks but have encountered problems with the D Link DIR-330. I am an IT guy and have access to the DIR-330 management console. Router firmware is last updated in 2008, but upgrade attemps (despite a 2013 release) repeatedly fail.

I am thinking I am going to add a downstream Wireless network - served from a Linksys product - to solve. Or maybe I will try the firmware update via another browser, just in Chrome is getting in the way.

Sep 28, 2014 1:21 AM in response to Richak33

I'm having the same issue. I have a 13 macbook retina from early 2014. There's been no problem joining our zyxel router for 5 months. But recently, once in a while, it decides that it "could not" join the network. I've tried the things that are mentioned in this thread. Just as the problem begins without any apparant reason, it seems to resolve itself not because of anything I do, but for no specific reason at all that I can tell. Very annoying. Did anyone find a solution yet?

Dec 5, 2015 9:26 PM in response to Richak33

Hey guys. I had similar problem in OS Yosemite.

I managed to fix it it.

Here is what I did.

System preferences -->network-->Assist me--> A screen with multiple options will appear, asking "How do I connect to the internet", click on the first one," I use Airport to connect to the internet Wirelessly, and click continue. And follow through.

Aug 30, 2016 11:16 AM in response to Richak33

This is an OLD question, but I had the problem myself with a new Mac Book Pro, El Capitan 10.11.6 against a Cisco Enterprise router.

The solution for me was to:

1. Click the wifi icon at the top.
  2. Click Open Network Preferences.
    (Alternatively, you can click the Apple Logo in the upper left, Click System Preferences, then Network)
  3. Click Advanced (at the bottom).
  4. If you see the network you are trying to join in "Preferred Networks"... click it and at the bottom click the "-" symbol to remove the network (the iPhone equivalent of "Forget this network").
  5. Try again to connect.

This situation arose because I tried to connect to the network when setting up my new machine, but it didn't allow me to enter the "identity" field which is required. Apparently it remembered the network even though it never connected... and gave it the incomplete authentication information and was kicked out. Forgetting the network is what was needed so it could properly use EAP-PEAP (MSCHAPv2) authentication. I suspect it may do the same if you incorrectly enter the password field during start up and later skip that step in frustration.

The Wifi network "" Could Not Be Joined

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.