Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why can't i connect to iMessage or FaceTime? network connection error message

My imessage & facetime were working fine but i havent been able to use my facetime for awhile..everytime i try to log in it tells me that there is no network connection & it cannot log in. today i tried using my imessage but when i try to log in im getting same error message that there's no network connection. PLEASE HELP!!! Im so frustrated because I dont know how to fix this. I have a connection to the internet. everything else works except these. I've even tried connecting from different locations (other than my home) and still get same error message. what could this be about?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 11, 2014 2:04 PM

40 replies

Feb 13, 2014 11:58 AM in response to khomeini

Hello, khomeini.

Here is an article you may find helpful when troubleshooting iMessage or FaceTime activation issues.

If you see "Could not sign in, please check your network connection and try again" when signing in to your Apple ID

To resolve this issue, follow these steps.

1. Update to the latest version of iOS.
  2. Verify that you have a data connection by going to www.apple.com in Safari. You can complete Apple ID activation using Wi-Fi or a cellular data connection. If you need help connecting to Wi-Fi, follow these steps.
  3. If you're using Wi-Fi, make sure that your local Wi-Fi network is using the recommended Wi-Fi settings.
  4. Sign in to your account and ensure that the primary email address and alternate e-mail addresses have been verified. If verification is pending, follow the instructions in the email Apple sent to that email address to complete verification. Or remove the e-mail addresses from the account.
  5. If your Apple ID isn't an email address, you can change it. The Apple ID that you're using to activate FaceTime or iMessage must be an email address. Find more information on how to change your Apple ID.
  6. Tap Settings > General > Date & Time. Make sure that your iPhone is set to the correct time zone. If Set Automatically is on but the wrong time zone appears, turn Set Automatically off and choose the correct time zone, date, and time.
  7. Enable iMessage and FaceTime while connected to a different Wi-Fi network (in a different location) if a cellular data connection is not available.

You can see that you've activated FaceTime and iMessage with your Apple ID by following these steps.

• Tap Settings > FaceTime > You can be reached by FaceTime at:
  • Tap Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > You can be reached by iMessage at:

iOS: Troubleshooting FaceTime and iMessage activation

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4268

Regards,

Jason H.

Jun 21, 2014 6:19 AM in response to Norma_S

Over 1,000 views on this topic and still no fix!! !!! !!!!

I spent 2 hours on phone with Apple Care the supervisor said he had never heard of this problem (yeah right) and still no fix. I can log in no problem from guest account and both iphones. I changed DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 I turned off firewall I verified my hosts file reset keychain deleted keychain deleted plists reinstalled Mavericks. I even tried replacing certificates and using guest keychain. I added messages, facetime, imagent all to approved programs. I tried creating a new user changing icloud password creating new icloud user. I signed out of all devices all email addresses are verified my router settings are correct I reset my router added +1 to IP address my serial number is present my time is automatic and correct my contact card is correct. I reset nvram and pram I used disk utilty to correct permissions I started in safeboot I reset mac ACL and permissions so, what am I missing? SERIOUSLY DRIVING ME CRAZY THAT I CANT FIGURE THIS OUT. HELLLLLLLLLLLP😠

Jun 30, 2014 9:02 AM in response to Csound1

The MPB is not the device in which the previous poster was referring as is obvious if you took the time to read the instructions which are clearly for an iPad or an iPhone. Also, if you took the time to research this BUG you would know 1,000's do in fact have it after installing Mavericks as I referred to in my previous post and as you can see with the amount of hits on EVERY community topic about this situation. This BTW being a community forum and there being nothing rude in my replies simply facts that apparently you don't like and you don't have to like. How about staying on topic or is that another "so, good luck with that" situation?

Aug 5, 2014 5:29 AM in response to khomeini

I FOUND THE FIX!!!!!

Back up all data.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

~/Library/IdentityServices

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. Log out or restart the computer, empty the Trash, and test.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Basically drag the items in the identityservices folder to trash log out, log back in, empty trash, start messages or facetime!!

My messages and facetime have not worked for months and despite the clown in this thread I found an actual fix and I am a chick so YAY ME!!! WOOT! SO HAPPY!!! YAYS!!!

Good luck to others with this problem!!!

Sep 21, 2014 9:13 AM in response to AppleQuacks420

Having this exact same issue on a MBA with 10.8. There is no "IdentityServices" folder in my ~/Library or even the root/Library folder. This must have been a new thing in Mavericks, but my Messages and FaceTime login issue is identical to what's discussed here and a million other places. Where would these files to delete have been located in prior versions of OSX?

No problem on my iOS devices. I've logged out and back into iMessage and FaceTime on them, with no password issues. On the MBA, the dreaded timeout and "could not sign in please check network connection" error for the Messages and FaceTime apps. But no problem logging into my apple ID on applid.apple.com or even the iTunes store via the iTunes app.

Help!!!

why can't i connect to iMessage or FaceTime? network connection error message

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.