Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad (4th gen) screen scrambled (static) with smart cover.

Hello-

The screen on my iPad becomes scrambled when connecting/disconnecting smart cover. (image attached) I am afraid that something has been damaged by the magnets. Is there a solution to fix this? I could not find much help doing various searches.

Thank youUser uploaded file

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2014 11:52 AM

First, try a system reset. It cures many ills and it's quick, easy and harmless...

Hold down the on/off switch and the Home button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it appears. You will not lose any apps, data, music, movies, settings, etc.

If the Reset doesn't work, try a Restore. Note that it's nowhere near as quick as a Reset. It could take well over an hour! Connect via cable to the computer that you use for sync. From iTunes, select the iPad/iPod and then select the Summary tab. Follow the on-screen directions for Restore and be sure to say "yes" to the backup. You will be warned that all data (apps, music, movies, etc.) will be erased but, as the Restore finishes, you will be asked if you wish the contents of the backup to be copied to the iPad/iPod. Again, say "yes."

At the end of the basic Restore, you will be asked if you wish to sync the iPad/iPod. As before, say "yes." Note that that sync selection will disappear and the Restore will end if you do not respond within a reasonable time. If that happens, only the apps that are part of the IOS will appear on your device. Corrective action is simple - choose manual "Sync" from the bottom right of iTunes.

If you're unable to do the Restore, go into Recovery Mode per the instructions here. Also, if you have IOS-7, read this.

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 13, 2014 11:52 AM in response to Jon.Roma

First, try a system reset. It cures many ills and it's quick, easy and harmless...

Hold down the on/off switch and the Home button simultaneously until you see the Apple logo. Ignore the "Slide to power off" text if it appears. You will not lose any apps, data, music, movies, settings, etc.

If the Reset doesn't work, try a Restore. Note that it's nowhere near as quick as a Reset. It could take well over an hour! Connect via cable to the computer that you use for sync. From iTunes, select the iPad/iPod and then select the Summary tab. Follow the on-screen directions for Restore and be sure to say "yes" to the backup. You will be warned that all data (apps, music, movies, etc.) will be erased but, as the Restore finishes, you will be asked if you wish the contents of the backup to be copied to the iPad/iPod. Again, say "yes."

At the end of the basic Restore, you will be asked if you wish to sync the iPad/iPod. As before, say "yes." Note that that sync selection will disappear and the Restore will end if you do not respond within a reasonable time. If that happens, only the apps that are part of the IOS will appear on your device. Corrective action is simple - choose manual "Sync" from the bottom right of iTunes.

If you're unable to do the Restore, go into Recovery Mode per the instructions here. Also, if you have IOS-7, read this.

Feb 14, 2014 2:39 PM in response to Jon.Roma

As I feared, it has gotten worse. I took the smart cover off just in case it was responsible for doing any damage but the screen just got scrambled when the smart cover wasn't even on. However, I am certain that the damage had to have been caused by the smart cover since I have never dropped or hit my iPad before.

What can I do? Can someone reccomend anything please? This is my first apple product outside of an ipod so I am not familiar with the tech support. Unfortunately we do not have any Apple stores in the area so I cannot have it diagnosed. I just lost my job due to some lay-offs so I cannot afford to go and pay BestBuy $100 just to look at it! I do not own a laptop so I desparately need my iPad to apply for jobs! 😟

edit: I forgot to add the video I took with my phone of the recent incident.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B53M4vhJraU-YV9Md2M4TTJxMVk/edit?usp=sharing

Apr 15, 2014 1:15 AM in response to Jon.Roma

I have this exact same problem, happened a few days ago, static lines and flickering screen caused by Smart Cover, I left my ipad on my shelf with the cover on when I woke up and came to it the screen was all static, unfortunately my ipad is no longer under warranty, but I refuse to pay £100 to fix a £400 product broken by something made by Apple, apple need to take this issue seriously and offer repairs or replacements for this fault.

Apr 15, 2014 1:33 AM in response to Jon.Roma

Try reconnecting the Smart Cover and disconnecting it again, the past three days my ipad has had static lines all over the side where the cover connects I disconnected the cover and the lines have disappeared, however I suspect the magnet has caused internal damage, it will be interesting to see if apple take notice of this problem or try dismiss it as no fault of theres

Jun 9, 2014 12:55 AM in response to bluenerdsmurf

For me, I'm pretty sure it is just a screen problem. I can turn the iPad off. I can turn it on, I can access the iPad by entering my passcode (by guestimating where the numbers for the keypad are and by looking at my fingerprint smudges). From there, I can use siri to open apps and the like. Thus the gadget works. It is just some sort of screen problem which like the others, seemed to start after recent contact with a smartcover.

Jun 9, 2014 8:09 AM in response to Jon.Roma

Seems lke a lot of people coming across this problem, my screen is still working but I now have to put up with a black vertical line about two inches thick near the bottom end of my screen, I know it was the Smart Cover causing the screen to all go fuzzy as as soon as I stopped using the cover it stopped happening but left the vertical line my advise to people would be to not use an apple Smart Cover and if you are using one take it of before you encounter this problem, my ipad 4 was my first apple product and most likely my last

Jun 9, 2014 10:51 AM in response to Devonfromgbr

It really isn't fair. It left quite a bitter taste in my mouth with a hint of resentment as well. I took meticulous care of my iPad and yet here I am $600 out because of some manufacturing defects. I guess these things happen with all products but at least from my experience other manufactueres are usually willing to work with you. With Apple, I can't even speak to someone in tech support without paying a fee.

Jun 17, 2014 7:42 PM in response to Jon.Roma

I'm in Australia and even though my iPad (4th gen) was 18 months old and out of its original 12 months warranty (I didn't not buy apple care), Apple replaced my iPad for free 2 days ago. Practically no questions asked. The product was covered by Australian consumer law which basically states that a product sold should last a reasonable amount of time. "Reasonable" for an iPad has been interpreted as 2-3 yrs. Hence apple had no qualm in replacing it. I hope this helps all others who have the problem in their dealings with apple.

iPad (4th gen) screen scrambled (static) with smart cover.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.