Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ANOTHER RANDOM HARD FREEZING IN 10.9.1

Experiencing hard freezes except without the spinning ball. This started 3 months AFTER I had some bad RAM removed which was deemed the cause of the hard freezes before. The difference this time is that I can move the cursor, but still am unable to force quit + the keyboard is inactive. I'm also noticing, similar to before, the majority of freezing occures when I'm browsing Facebook (on Safari). In all cases, there is no kernel panic message and I have to cold reboot. I also tried to do a software update and it said the updates are not available.

Don't know what any of this means, but here is my EtreCheck report:

Hardware Information:
iMac - model: iMac11,1
1 2.66 GHz Intel Core i5 CPU: 4 cores
8 GB RAM

Video Information:
ATI Radeon HD 4850 - VRAM: 512 MB

System Software:
OS X 10.9.1 (13B42) - Uptime: 0 days 0:31:45

Disk Information:
ST31000528AS disk0 : (1 TB)
EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted>: 209.7 MB
Macintosh HD (disk0s2) /: 999.35 GB (670.41 GB free)
Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted>: 650 MB

OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5680H

USB Information:
Logitech USB Receiver

SanDisk Ultra Backup 64.05 GB
ULTRABACKUP (disk1s1) /Volumes/ULTRABACKUP: 64.03 GB (42.44 GB free)

Apple Inc. BRCM2046 Hub
Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Apple Internal Memory Card Reader

Brother QL-570

Logitech USB Receiver

Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver

Apple Inc. Built-in iSight

FireWire Information:

Thunderbolt Information:

Kernel Extensions:
com.Logitech.Control Center.HID Driver (3.5.1 - SDK 10.0)
com.Logitech.Unifying.HID Driver (1.2.0 - SDK 10.0)
com.parallels.kext.usbconnect (9.0 24172.951362)
com.parallels.kext.hypervisor (9.0 24172.951362)
com.parallels.kext.hidhook (9.0 24172.951362)
com.parallels.kext.netbridge (9.0 24172.951362)
com.parallels.kext.vnic (9.0 24172.951362)
com.parallels.filesystems.prlufs (2010.12.28)

Startup Items:
ParallelsDesktopTransporter: Path: /Library/StartupItems/ParallelsDesktopTransporter

Problem System Launch Daemons:

Problem System Launch Agents:

Launch Daemons:
[System] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist 3rd-Party support link

Launch Agents:
[System] com.Logitech.Control Center.Daemon.plist 3rd-Party support link

User Launch Agents:
[not loaded] com.adobe.ARM.[...].plist 3rd-Party support link
[not loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist 3rd-Party support link

User Login Items:
iTunesHelper
CheckBook
Parallels Desktop
IRISCard Button Manager
uTorrent
iTunesHelper
apple-scc-20131230-185637
apple-scc-20131230-191437
TrapsMonitor

Internet Plug-ins:
FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 12.0.0.44 - SDK 10.6 3rd-Party support link
Default Browser: Version: 537 - SDK 10.9
AdobePDFViewerNPAPI: Version: 10.1.9 3rd-Party support link
AdobePDFViewer: Version: 10.1.9 3rd-Party support link
DivXBrowserPlugin: Version: 2.0 3rd-Party support link
CANONiMAGEGATEWAYDL: Version: 3.1.0.2 3rd-Party support link
Flash Player: Version: 12.0.0.44 - SDK 10.6 3rd-Party support link
Google Earth Web Plug-in: Version: 7.0 3rd-Party support link
OfficeLiveBrowserPlugin: Version: 12.3.5 3rd-Party support link
QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.3
iPhotoPhotocast: Version: 7.0

Audio Plug-ins:
BluetoothAudioPlugIn: Version: 1.0 - SDK 10.9
AirPlay: Version: 1.9 - SDK 10.9
AppleAVBAudio: Version: 2.0.0 - SDK 10.9
iSightAudio: Version: 7.7.3 - SDK 10.9

3rd Party Preference Panes:
Flash Player 3rd-Party support link
Logitech Control Center 3rd-Party support link
MacFUSE 3rd-Party support link

Bad Fonts:
None

Old Applications:
Microsoft AutoUpdate: Version: 2.3.6 - SDK 10.4 3rd-Party support link
/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MAU2.0/Microsoft AutoUpdate.app
/Library/Application Support/Logitech.localized/Logitech Control Center.localized
Logitech Device Manager: Version: 3.5.1 - SDK 10.0 3rd-Party support link
Logitech Control Center Daemon: Version: 3.5.1 - SDK 10.0 3rd-Party support link
LCC Pilot: Version: 1.0.0 - SDK 10.0 3rd-Party support link
/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MERP2.0
Microsoft Error Reporting: Version: 2.2.9 - SDK 10.4 3rd-Party support link
Microsoft Ship Asserts: Version: 1.1.4 - SDK 10.4 3rd-Party support link
/Applications/Utilities
LCC Connection Utility: Version: 3.5.1 - SDK 10.0 3rd-Party support link
LCC Uninstaller: Version: 3.5.1 - SDK 10.0 3rd-Party support link
SuperDuper!: Version: 2.7.1 - SDK 10.4 3rd-Party support link

Time Machine:
Mobile backups: OFF
Auto backup: NO - Auto backup turned off
Volumes being backed up:
Macintosh HD: Disk size: 930.71 GB Disk used: 306.35 GB
Destinations:
Time Machine Backups [Local] (Last used)
Total size: 931.19 GB
Total number of backups: 1
Oldest backup: 2013-12-13 08:20:41 +0000
Last backup: 2013-12-13 08:20:41 +0000
Size of backup disk: Adequate
Backup size 931.19 GB > (Disk used 306.35 GB X 3)
Time Machine details may not be accurate.
All volumes being backed up may not be listed.

Top Processes by CPU:
25% firefox
13% prl_vm_app
4% WindowServer
2% EtreCheck
1% plugin-container

Top Processes by Memory:
991 MB firefox
221 MB prl_client_app
156 MB com.apple.IconServicesAgent
131 MB prl_vm_app
131 MB Safari

Virtual Memory Information:
471 MB Free RAM
2.19 GB Active RAM
1.48 GB Inactive RAM
3.86 GB Wired RAM
1.74 GB Page-ins
0 B Page-outs

Posted on Feb 16, 2014 1:20 AM

19 replies

Feb 16, 2014 2:11 AM in response to MCS2010

Questions:

- Did you ever do a clean install of Mavericks? Or is all this coming from older OS (you started with 10.6).

- What extensions do you have in Safari and in Firefox?

- Do you really need all that Logitec software?

Notes:

- You better do not run more than one browser at the same time. Quit the one(s) that you do not use.

- SuperDuper271 is compatible with MountainLion I am not sure if it is fully compatible with Mavericks (I use only CarbonCopyCloner lately).

- I see no need for Macfuse, maybe you better uninstall it.

About your list:

You have enough Ram and enough diskspace.

- You probably do not need the Parallels Transporter to run contuously: delete the entry from /Library/StartupItems/.

- I propose to remove all intems in SystemPreferences/Users&Groups/LoginItems (with the minus sign underneath); you can add what you really want to be started when the system starts. Especially uTorrent: it should not return here, I advise to uninstall it, do not use such apps. But if you insist, use another torrent app, but have it run only when necessary. I also propose to let Parallels run only when you need the VM, and start/quit it manually.

- Internet plugins: you may delete the AdobePDFViewer plugins (counterprodictive in 10.9), the Canon plugin, DivX plugin.

- I am not sure about the Microsoft Autoupdate application and the Microsoft Error Reporting: absolutely necessary?

Lex

Feb 16, 2014 9:08 AM in response to MCS2010

If you have more than one user account, these instructions must be carried out as an administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Console in the icon grid.

Step 1

Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left. If you don't see that menu, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar.

Enter "BOOT_TIME" (without the quotes) in the search box. Note the timestamps of those log messages, which refer to the times when the system was booted. Now clear the search box and scroll back in the log to the last boot time after you had the problem. Select the messages logged before the boot, while the system was unresponsive or was failing to shut down. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message (command-V). Please include the BOOT_TIME message at the end of the log extract.

If there are runs of repeated messages, post only one example of each. Don’t post many repetitions of the same message.

When posting a log extract, be selective. In most cases, a few dozen lines are more than enough.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Step 2

Still in Console, look under System Diagnostic Reports for crash or panic logs, and post the entire contents of the most recent one, if any. In the interest of privacy, I suggest you edit out the “Anonymous UUID,” a long string of letters, numbers, and dashes in the header of the report, if present (it may not be.) Please don’t post any other kind of report — it will be very long and not helpful.

Feb 17, 2014 12:39 AM in response to Lexiepex

- Did you ever do a clean install of Mavericks? Or is all this coming from older OS (you started with 10.6). It was an upgrade from 10.6.8.

- What extensions do you have in Safari and in Firefox? Safari - In Safari, I now have ClicktoFlash & ClicktoPlugin (I uninstalled some ebay shopper 0and other garbage extensions that somehow got installed); In FF, I had similar junk extensions and removed them; now I have BackupFox, Flashblock, Logitech Device Detection, Print/Print Preview.

- Do you really need all that Logitec software? I use a wireless Logitech keyboard and mouse. Is there other Logitech software I don't need?

For the last few years, I have always operated Safari & FF concomitantly without any issues - until recently. I constantly toggle between them as well as to my VM (Parallels), so I cannot suspend it and then use it, it would not be feasable in my business. I now have 8 windows in FF open with multiple tabs on each. The Apple tech I used before said that isn't the issue; it was bad RAM causing the lockups. If I have to get a separate computer, so be it, as I cannot change how I operate. Perhaps this will be the only way. Even the Apple tech suggested it, but it would be mjorly incovenient, not to mention an added expense I don't need right now.

I tried to find SuperDuper in Finder. No show.

I deleted Macfuse from Finder. Is there somehwre else to uninstall it?

What is Parallels Transporter?

I minus all the items in System Preferences except the ones I use all the time in Paralells (what is TrapsMonitor? Wouldn't remove)

I quit uTorrent when not downloading; why would it be any worse than the others?

Deleted the Adobe, Canon, DivX plugins from Finder

Could not find anything called Microsoft Autodate in Finder

Could only delete some of Microsoft Error Reporting which I don't even know what it is

Anything esle?

Feb 17, 2014 12:54 AM in response to Linc Davis

Wow, this is a bit beyond my level of understanding, so pls bear with me.

I'm assuming the correct Console is the first one that just says "Console", correct? When I click on it a windows pops up called "All Messages".

What Finder are you talking about, where is Go>Utilities? I don't see any of that at the top menu bar.

One step at a time!

Feb 17, 2014 1:34 AM in response to MCS2010

- ok

- ok

- for the mouse you do not need Logotec Software (99% sure), for the keyboard I am not sure, check the manuals. Most of the time these need no software, maybe just a driver.

I agree that you can use FF and Safari at the same time, it just takes a lot of resources, it does not create issues normally. The extensions are OK I gues, maybe the Logitec one is not necessary.

If you have Ram issues still, I hope it will come out of Linc's test.

= SuperDuper: is in the list, look in the Applications or Utilities folder and uninstall it if you do not need it (you can always redownload and install or use a downloaded CCC). Probably a remnant of "old" days.

= Macfuse: that is enough.

= Parallels Transporter: a Parallels app that you use to transport files and so between pc and mac and so on, you probably don't need it, I never used it. Remove it, see my earlier post.

= TrapsMonitor: It maybe a remnant of old days, it can have to do with a printer or camera. You must get rid of it, it is a well known 'crasher'. Remove it from the LoginItems, then look in Finder in /Library/ApplicationSupport/ look in HP printer folders, or look for camera folders. If you can not ind it, download an app called FindAnyFile from http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/ and type trapsmonitor in the search field, you can trash all you find directly from the list. Then restart the computer.

= Torrent apps: all of them 'leak' your IP and other things to the internet. It should not run constantly, thus remove it from the LoginItems at least.

= MS Autodate and MERP, use FindAnyFile also. Or let it be till after you have restarted and made a new Etrechek list.

Lex

Feb 22, 2014 12:53 PM in response to MCS2010

1. This procedure is a diagnostic test. It changes nothing, for better or worse, and therefore will not, in itself, solve your problem.

2. If you don't already have a current backup, back up all data before doing anything else. The backup is necessary on general principle, not because of anything in the test procedure. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional. Ask if you need guidance.

3. Below are instructions to run a UNIX shell script, a type of program. All it does is to gather information about the state of your computer. That information goes nowhere unless you choose to share it on this page. However, you should be cautious about running any kind of program (not just a shell script) at the request of a stranger on a public message board. If you have doubts, search this site for other discussions in which this procedure has been followed without any report of ill effects. If you can't satisfy yourself that the instructions are safe, don't follow them. Ask for other options.

Here's a summary of what you need to do, if you choose to proceed: Copy a line of text from this web page into the window of another application. Wait for the script to run. It usually takes a few minutes. Then paste the results, which will have been copied automatically, back into a reply on this page. The sequence is: copy, paste, wait, paste again. Details follow.

4. You may have started the computer in "safe" mode. Preferably, these steps should be taken in “normal” mode. If the system is now in safe mode and works well enough in normal mode to run the test, restart as usual. If you can only test in safe mode, do that.

5. If you have more than one user, and the one affected by the problem is not an administrator, then please run the test twice: once while logged in as the affected user, and once as an administrator. The results may be different. The user that is created automatically on a new computer when you start it for the first time is an administrator. If you can't log in as an administrator, test as the affected user. Most personal Macs have only one user, and in that case this section doesn’t apply.

6. The script is a single long line, all of which must be selected. You can accomplish this easily by triple-clicking anywhere in the line. The whole line will highlight, though you may not see all of it in your browser, and you can then copy it. If you try to select the line by dragging across the part you can see, you won't get all of it.

Triple-click anywhere in the line of text below on this page to select it:

PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin; clear; Fb='%s\n\t(%s)\n'; Fm='\n%s\n\n%s\n'; Fr='\nRAM details\n%s\n'; Fs='\n%s: %s\n'; Fu='user %s%%, system %s%%'; PB="/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c Print"; A () { [[ a -eq 0 ]]; }; M () { find -L "$d" -type f | while read f; do file -b "$f" | egrep -lq XML\|exec && echo $f; done; }; Pc () { o=`grep -v '^ *#' "$2"`; Pm "$1"; }; Pm () { [[ "$o" ]] && o=`sed -E '/^ *$/d; s/^ */ /; s/[-0-9A-Fa-f]{22,}/UUID/g' <<< "$o"` && printf "$Fm" "$1" "$o"; }; Pp () { o=`$PB "$2" | awk -F'= ' \/$3'/{print $2}'`; Pm "$1"; }; Ps () { o=`echo $o`; [[ ! "$o" =~ ^0?$ ]] && printf "$Fs" "$1" "$o"; }; R () { o=; [[ r -eq 0 ]]; }; SP () { system_profiler SP${1}DataType; }; id -G | grep -qw 80; a=$?; A && sudo true; r=$?; t=`date +%s`; clear; { A || echo $'No admin access\n'; A && ! R && echo $'No root access\n'; SP Software | sed '8!d;s/^ *//'; o=`SP Hardware | awk '/Mem/{print $2}'`; o=$((o<4?o:0)); Ps "Total RAM (GB)"; o=`SP Memory | sed '1,5d;/[my].*:/d'`; [[ "$o" =~ s:\ [^O]|x([^08]||0[^2]8[^0]) ]] && printf "$Fr" "$o"; o=`SP Diagnostics | sed '5,6!d'`; [[ "$o" =~ Pass ]] || Pm "POST"; p=`SP Power`; o=`awk '/Cy/{print $NF}' <<< "$p"`; o=$((o>=300?o:0)); Ps "Battery cycles"; o=`sed -n '/Cond.*: [^N]/{s/^.*://p;}' <<< "$p"`; Ps "Battery condition"; for b in Thunderbolt USB; do o=`SP $b | sed -En '1d;/:$/{s/ *:$//;x;s/\n//p;};/^ *V.* [0N].* /{s/ 0x.... //;s/[()]//g;s/(.*: )(.*)/ \(\2\)/;H;};/Apple|SMSC/{s/.//g;h;}'`; Pm $b; done; o=`pmset -g therm | sed 's/^.*C/C/'`; [[ "$o" =~ No\ th|pms ]] && o=; Pm "Thermal conditions"; o=`pmset -g sysload | grep -v :`; [[ "$o" =~ =\ [^GO] ]] || o=; Pm "System load advisory"; o=`nvram boot-args | awk '{$1=""; print}'`; Ps "boot-args"; a=(/ ""); A=(System User); for i in 0 1; do o=`cd ${a[$i]}L*/Lo*/Diag* || continue; for f in *.{cr,h,pa,s}*; do [[ -f "$f" ]] || continue; d=$(awk '/^D/{print $2; exit}' "$f"); [[ "$f" =~ h$ ]] && grep -lq "^Thread c" "$f" && e=\* || e=; echo $d ${f%_$d*} ${f##*.} "$e"; done | sort | tail`; Pm "${A[$i]} diagnostics"; done; [[ "$o" =~ \*$ ]] && printf $'\n* Code injection\n'; o=`syslog -F bsd -k Sender kernel -k Message CReq 'GPU |hfs: Ru|I/O e|last value [1-9]|n Cause: -|NVDA\(|pagin|SATA W|ssert|Thrott|timed? ?o' | tail -n25 | awk '/:/{$4=""; $5=""};1'`; Pm "Kernel messages"; o=`df -m / | awk 'NR==2 {print $4}'`; o=$((o<5120?o:0)); Ps "Free space (MiB)"; o=$(($(vm_stat | awk '/eo/{sub("\\.",""); print $2}')/256)); o=$((o>=1024?o:0)); Ps "Pageouts (MiB)"; s=( `sar -u 1 10 | sed '$!d'` ); [[ s[4] -lt 85 ]] && o=`printf "$Fu" ${s[1]} ${s[3]}` || o=; Ps "Total CPU usage" && { s=(`ps acrx -o comm,ruid,%cpu | sed '2!d'`); n=$((${#s[*]}-1)); c="${s[*]}"; o=${s[$n]}%; Ps "CPU usage by process \"${c% ${s[$((n-1))]}*}\" with UID ${s[$((n-1))]}"; }; s=(`top -R -l1 -n1 -o prt -stats command,uid,prt | sed '$!d'`); n=$((${#s[*]}-1)); s[$n]=${s[$n]%[+-]}; c="${s[*]}"; o=$((s[$n]>=25000?s[$n]:0)); Ps "Mach ports used by process \"${c% ${s[$((n-1))]}*}\" with UID ${s[$((n-1))]}"; o=`kextstat -kl | grep -v com\\.apple | cut -c53- | cut -d\< -f1`; Pm "Loaded extrinsic kernel extensions"; R && o=`sudo launchctl list | awk 'NR>1 && !/0x|com\.(apple|openssh|vix\.cron)|org\.(amav|apac|calendarse|cups|dove|isc|ntp|post[fg]|x)/{print $3}'`; Pm "Extrinsic daemons"; o=`launchctl list | awk 'NR>1 && !/0x|com\.apple|org\.(x|openbsd)|\.[0-9]+$/{print $3}'`; Pm "Extrinsic agents"; o=`for d in {/,}L*/Lau*; do M; done | grep -v com\.apple\.CSConfig | while read f; do ID=$($PB\ :Label "$f") || ID="No job label"; printf "$Fb" "$f" "$ID"; done`; Pm "launchd items"; o=`for d in /{S*/,}L*/Star*; do M; done`; Pm "Startup items"; o=`find -L /S*/L*/{C*/Sec*A,E}* {/,}L*/{A*d,Compon,Ex,In,iTu,Keyb,Mail/B,P*P,Qu*T,Scripti,Sec,Servi,Spo}* -type d -name Contents -prune | while read d; do ID=$($PB\ :CFBundleIdentifier "$d/Info.plist") || ID="No bundle ID"; [[ "$ID" =~ ^com\.apple\.[^x]|Accusys|ArcMSR|ATTO|HDPro|HighPoint|driver\.stex|hp-fax|\.hpio|JMicron|microsoft\.MDI|print|SoftRAID ]] || printf "$Fb" "${d%/Contents}" "$ID"; done`; Pm "Extrinsic loadable bundles"; o=`find -L /u*/{,*/}lib -type f | while read f; do file -b "$f" | grep -qw shared && ! codesign -v "$f" && echo $f; done`; Pm "Unsigned shared libraries"; o=`for e in INSERT_LIBRARIES LIBRARY_PATH; do launchctl getenv DYLD_$e; done`; Pm "Environment"; o=`find -L {,/u*/lo*}/e*/periodic -type f -mtime -10d`; Pm "Modified periodic scripts"; o=`scutil --proxy | grep Prox`; Pm "Proxies"; o=`scutil --dns | awk '/r\[0\] /{if ($NF !~ /^1(0|72\.(1[6-9]|2[0-9]|3[0-1])|92\.168)\./) print $NF; exit}'`; Ps "DNS"; R && o=`sudo profiles -P | grep : | wc -l`; Ps "Profiles"; f=auto_master; [[ `md5 -q /etc/$f` =~ ^b166 ]] || Pc $f /etc/$f; for f in fstab sysctl.conf crontab launchd.conf; do Pc $f /etc/$f; done; Pc "hosts" <(grep -v 'host *$' /etc/hosts); Pc "User launchd" ~/.launchd*; R && Pc "Root crontab" <(sudo crontab -l); Pc "User crontab" <(crontab -l | sed -E 's:/Users/[^/]+/:/Users/USER/:g'); R && o=`sudo defaults read com.apple.loginwindow LoginHook`; Pm "Login hook"; Pp "Global login items" /L*/P*/loginw* Path; Pp "User login items" L*/P*/*loginit* Name; Pp "Safari extensions" L*/Saf*/*/E*.plist Bundle | sed -E 's/(\..*$|-[1-9])//g'; o=`find ~ $TMPDIR.. \( -flags +sappnd,schg,uappnd,uchg -o ! -user $UID -o ! -perm -600 \) | wc -l`; Ps "Restricted user files"; cd; o=`SP Fonts | egrep "Valid: N|Duplicate: Y" | wc -l`; Ps "Font problems"; o=`find L*/{Con,Pref}* -type f ! -size 0 -name *.plist | while read f; do plutil -s "$f" >&- || echo $f; done`; Pm "Bad plists"; d=(Desktop L*/Keyc*); n=(20 7); for i in 0 1; do o=`find "${d[$i]}" -type f -maxdepth 1 | wc -l`; o=$((o<=n[$i]?0:o)); Ps "${d[$i]##*/} file count"; done; o=; [[ UID -eq 0 ]] && o=root; Ps "UID"; o=$((`date +%s`-t)); Ps "Elapsed time (s)"; } 2>/dev/null | pbcopy; exit 2>&-

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

7. Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Click anywhere in the Terminal window and paste (command-V). The text you pasted should vanish immediately. If it doesn't, press the return key.

8. If you see an error message in the Terminal window such as "syntax error," enter

exec bash

and press return. Then paste the script again.

9. If you're logged in as an administrator, you'll be prompted for your login password. Nothing will be displayed when you type it. You will not see the usual dots in place of typed characters. Make sure caps lock is off. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you make three failed attempts to enter the password, the test will run anyway, but it will produce less information. In most cases, the difference is not important. If you don't know your password, or if you prefer not to enter it, just press return three times at the password prompt.

If you're not logged in as an administrator, you won't be prompted for a password. The test will still run. It just won't do anything that requires administrator privileges.

10. The test will take a few minutes to run, depending on how many files you have and the speed of the computer. A computer that's abnormally slow may take longer to run the test. While it's running, there will be nothing in the Terminal window and no indication of progress. Wait for the line "[Process completed]" to appear. If you don't see it within half an hour or so, the test probably won't complete in a reasonable time. In that case, close the Terminal window and report your results. No harm will be done.

11. When the test is complete, quit Terminal. The results will have been copied to the Clipboard automatically. They are not shown in the Terminal window. Please don't copy anything from there. All you have to do is start a reply to this comment and then paste by pressing command-V again.

If any private information, such as your name or email address, appears in the results, anonymize it before posting. Usually that won't be necessary.

12. When you post the results, you might see the message, "You have included content in your post that is not permitted." It means that the forum software has misidentified something in the post as a violation of the rules. If that happens, please post the test results on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

Note: This is a public forum, and others may give you advice based on the results of the test. They speak only for themselves, and I don't necessarily agree with them.

Copyright © 2014 Linc Davis. As the sole author of this work, I reserve all rights to it except as provided in the Terms of Use of Apple Support Communities ("ASC"). Readers of ASC may copy it for their own personal use. Neither the whole nor any part may be redistributed.

Feb 23, 2014 7:15 PM in response to Linc Davis

First off, what happened to the Console protocol you first described?? After typing "BOOT_TIME" no log messages came up. Please advise on this first before suggesting an entirely different protocol..

In Terminal, I followed your instructions anyway.

I am logged in as administrator.

After I copied and pasted the line in Terminal, it didn't vanish immediately, so I click return and I get this following the whole line which still remains above it:

"WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:

Entered pw.

"[Process completed]" then appeared.

#11 is where I'm lost.

Clicked command-V and nothing.

Feb 23, 2014 11:24 PM in response to Linc Davis

Finally got it right I think. Looks similar to EtreCheck:

Boot Mode: Normal

USB

Ultra Backup (SanDisk Corporation)

USB Receiver (Logitech Inc.)

USB Receiver (Logitech Inc.)

QL-570 (Brother International Corporation)

System diagnostics

2014-02-16 firefox hang

2014-02-16 firefox hang

2014-02-16 firefox hang

2014-02-16 firefox hang

2014-02-17 WinAppHelper hang

2014-02-20 Messages hang

2014-02-21 CVMCompiler,CVMServer,diskarbitrationd,launchd,mDNSResponder,mds shutdownStall

2014-02-21 Messages hang

2014-02-21 uTorrent hang

2014-02-22 uTorrent hang

Kernel messages

Feb 20 22:46:34 disk2: I/O error.

--- last message repeated 1 time ---

Feb 20 22:47:12 disk2: I/O error.

Feb 21 01:06:01 disk2: I/O error.

Feb 21 01:06:38 disk2: I/O error.

Feb 21 01:09:53 disk2: I/O error.

Feb 21 01:10:23 disk2: I/O error.

Feb 22 12:23:56 disk2: I/O error.

Feb 22 12:24:24 disk2: I/O error.

Loaded extrinsic kernel extensions

com.Logitech.Control Center.HID Driver (3.5.1)

com.Logitech.Unifying.HID Driver (1.2.0)

com.parallels.kext.usbconnect (9.0 24172.951362)

com.parallels.kext.hypervisor (9.0 24172.951362)

com.parallels.kext.hidhook (9.0 24172.951362)

com.parallels.kext.netbridge (9.0 24172.951362)

com.parallels.kext.vnic (9.0 24172.951362)

com.parallels.filesystems.prlufs (2010.12.28)

Extrinsic daemons

com.adobe.fpsaud

Extrinsic agents

com.hp.devicemonitor

com.Logitech.Control

com.google.keystone.user.agent

com.adobe.ARM.UUID

launchd items

/Library/LaunchAgents/com.Logitech.Control Center.Daemon.plist

(com.Logitech.Control Center.Daemon)

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.adobe.fpsaud.plist

(com.adobe.fpsaud)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.adobe.ARM.UUID.plist

(com.adobe.ARM.UUID)

Library/LaunchAgents/com.google.keystone.agent.plist

(com.google.keystone.user.agent)

Startup items

/Library/StartupItems/ParallelsDesktopTransporter/llipd

/Library/StartupItems/ParallelsDesktopTransporter/ParallelsTransporter

/Library/StartupItems/ParallelsDesktopTransporter/StartupParameters.plist

Extrinsic loadable bundles

/System/Library/Extensions/jawbone.kext

(com.aliph.driver.jstub)

/System/Library/Extensions/LogitechHIDDevices.kext

(com.Logitech.Control Center.HID Driver)

/System/Library/Extensions/LogitechUnifying.kext

(com.Logitech.Unifying.HID Driver)

/Library/Audio/MIDI Drivers/EmagicUSBMIDIDriver.plugin

(info.emagic.driver.unitor)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin

(com.macromedia.Flash Player.plugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Google Earth Web Plug-in.plugin

(com.Google.GoogleEarthPlugin.plugin)

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/OfficeLiveBrowserPlugin.plugin

(com.microsoft.officelive.browserplugin)

/Library/PreferencePanes/Flash Player.prefPane

(com.adobe.flashplayerpreferences)

/Library/PreferencePanes/Logitech Control Center.prefPane

(com.Logitech.Control Center.Preference Pane)

/Library/PreferencePanes/MacFUSE.prefPane

(com.google.MacFUSE)

/Library/QuickTime/CanonMJPEGAVI.component

(jp.co.canon.MJPEGAVIExporter)

/Library/QuickTime/CanonMJPEGAVIDec.component

(jp.co.canon.CanonMJPEGAVIDec)

/Library/QuickTime/CanonText.component

(jp.co.canon.Text)

/Library/Spotlight/ParallelsMD.mdimporter

(com.parallels.mdimporter)

Library/Address Book Plug-Ins/SkypeABDialer.bundle

(com.skype.skypeabdialer)

Library/Address Book Plug-Ins/SkypeABSMS.bundle

(com.skype.skypeabsms)

Library/Services/WinzipAdd.workflow

(No bundle ID)

Library/Services/WinzipEmail.workflow

(No bundle ID)

Library/Services/WinzipUnzip.workflow

(No bundle ID)

Unsigned shared libraries

/usr/lib/libtcl.dylib

/usr/lib/libtcl8.5.dylib

/usr/lib/libtk.dylib

/usr/lib/libtk8.5.dylib

/usr/local/lib/libfuse.0.dylib

/usr/local/lib/libfuse.2.7.3.dylib

/usr/local/lib/libfuse.2.dylib

/usr/local/lib/libfuse.dylib

/usr/local/lib/libfuse_ino64.2.7.3.dylib

/usr/local/lib/libfuse_ino64.2.dylib

/usr/local/lib/libfuse_ino64.dylib

DNS: 68.105.28.12

Global login items

/Library/Application Support/hp/laserjet MFP/Trap Monitor/TrapsMonitor.app

User login items

iTunesHelper

CheckBook

Parallels Desktop

uTorrent

iTunesHelper.app

HP LaserJet 400 colorMFP M475dw (D5F67E)

apple-scc-20131230-185637

apple-scc-20131230-191437

Safari extensions

ClickToPlugin

ClickToFlash

Restricted user files: 139

Font problems: 41

Desktop file count: 25

Elapsed time (s): 519

Feb 24, 2014 10:42 AM in response to MCS2010

There's no way to be sure whether your problem is caused by incompatible software or by a hardware fault, which would most likely be faulty RAM. I suggest you proceed on two fronts.

1. Apple Diagnostics or the Apple Hardware Test, though generally unreliable, will sometimes detect a fault. A negative test can't be depended on. Run the extended version of the test, if applicable.

2. Remove "Logitech Control Center" and "Parallels." See whether there's an improvement.

Any third-party software that doesn't install by drag-and-drop into the Applications folder, and uninstall by drag-and-drop to the Trash, is a system modification.

Whenever you remove system modifications, they must be removed completely, and the only way to do that is to use the uninstallation tool, if any, provided by the developers, or to follow their instructions. If the software has been incompletely removed, you may have to re-download or even reinstall it in order to finish the job.

I never install system modifications myself, and I don't know how to uninstall them. You'll have to do your own research to find that information.

Here are some general guidelines to get you started. Suppose you want to remove something called “BrickMyMac” (a hypothetical example.) First, consult the product's Help menu, if there is one, for instructions. Finding none there, look on the developer's website, say www.brickmymac.com. (That may not be the actual name of the site; if necessary, search the Web for the product name.) If you don’t find anything on the website or in your search, contact the developer. While you're waiting for a response, download BrickMyMac.dmg and open it. There may be an application in there such as “Uninstall BrickMyMac.” If not, open “BrickMyMac.pkg” and look for an Uninstall button.

Back up all data before making any changes.

You will generally have to reboot in order to complete an uninstallation. Until you do that, the uninstallation may have no effect, or unpredictable effects.

If you can’t remove software in any other way, you’ll have to erase and install OS X. Never install any third-party software unless you're sure you know how to uninstall it; otherwise you may create problems that are very hard to solve.

WARNING: Trying to remove complex system modifications by hunting for files by name often will not work and may make the problem worse. The same goes for "utilities" such as "AppCleaner" and the like that purport to remove software.

ANOTHER RANDOM HARD FREEZING IN 10.9.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.