Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1st Gen iPod Touch "An unknown error occurred (1)"

First one iPod Touch 1st Generation device wouldn't sync (a few weeks back) and now today an older iPod Touch 1st Generation device has also failed to sync, both with iTunes 11.1.4.

Connecting the devices with the USB cable that has just charged an iPhone 4s to the latest MacBook Pro Retina returns Ipod Recovery Mode. No other USBs are attached to the laptop.

Clicking Restore Ipod returns "The iPod could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1)

Restarting the laptop has no effect

Restarting an iPod just brings up the cable connect display

Has the latest version of iTunes put an end to my iPod Touches 1st Generation or have i genuinely been unlucky to have them both fail within a short space of time OR, hopefully, there is a workaround.

Apple Support were unable to assist by 'phone with "An unknown error occurred (1)" on the first device, and nor could Genius Bar at my store this week.

Both devices are on 1.1.15 Operating System for Ipod Touch. I appreciate there is a version 3.x.x but I cannot get this on to the iPods

Any help would be greatly received

Thanks

iPod touch, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2014 1:26 PM

- Place the iPod in DFU mode and then restore

How to put iPod touch / iPhone into DFU mode « Karthik's scribblings

- Try on another computer

- Try another cable

- If still not successful that usually indicates a hardware problem and an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store is in order.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2014 1:26 PM in response to Ratbasher

- Place the iPod in DFU mode and then restore

How to put iPod touch / iPhone into DFU mode « Karthik's scribblings

- Try on another computer

- Try another cable

- If still not successful that usually indicates a hardware problem and an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store is in order.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Feb 21, 2015 7:21 PM in response to Silwadi

Nope its all there when I look for it in my downloads from my home screen but for some reason when I pull it up thru Itunes after clicking shift restore it doesnt show up just shows empty folders. Also while trying to extract files it said something was blocking a few of the files From being encrypted so I skipped could this have something to do with it? is there a step by step tutorial on this or video so I can see exactly what I'm doing something wrong ?

1st Gen iPod Touch "An unknown error occurred (1)"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.