Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to download more than 100mb data via cellular

When I try to download any app, it says connect to wifi coz the app is more than 100mb.

iOS 7

Posted on Feb 21, 2014 3:13 AM

115 replies

Mar 26, 2017 9:14 PM in response to bertezza

bertezza wrote:

User uploaded file

Guys, head to Settings', tap on iTunes & App Store, then turn on the 'Use Mobile Data'

Mission Accomplished

No, Mission not accomplished.

The issue here is not to generally download things over cellular.

Its to download things that are over 100MB in size over cellular.

And that cannot be done as it is a system limitation.

Mar 25, 2017 12:51 AM in response to ANiDH

This is a limitation Apple has set, it used to be 50MB but doubled some time ago.

There are lots of places with free WiFi. You can also tether off another phone or device if you don't want to go anywhere.

Share your Internet connection with Personal Hotspot - Apple Support

Short of those options, you should make your case with Apple and perhaps they'll take it into account with a future update.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Jun 14, 2017 9:27 AM in response to ANiDH

The workaround is quite simple:

1. Connect your phone to PC/Mac
  2. Make sure your computer gets internet from your phone’s hot spot
  3. Launch iTunes and sync up your phone. Transfer purchases, if asked
  4. In iTunes | Settings (Phone) | Apps menu find the app you need to download
  5. Click “Install” button. It will change to “Will install”
  6. Click “Sync”.

After sync completes the app will be there.

Jul 14, 2017 11:09 PM in response to ANiDH

I'm using an iPhone 5s and don't have a WiFi network that I can connect to. Couldn't get the restart method to work but did this instead: Used phone to create a mobile hotspot. Connected laptop to hotspot and used iTunes on the laptop to download the app from the store. Connected my iPhone to the laptop and used iTunes to sync the app to the phone.

Sep 1, 2017 9:06 AM in response to A7medZ

You all aren't reading the responses, this is a limitation Apple has put in place on purpose at the request of the mobile carriers. The limit used to be 50MB but it was raised a couple years ago to 100MB. There are lots of free WiFi hotspots available. If you truly don't have access to WiFi at home, can't tether off another device then I suggest you go to one of these locations. Alternately you could download the update via iTunes and update via your computer. Any other methods are hacks, and with any hack, your mileage will vary considerably.

Nov 10, 2017 2:35 PM in response to ANiDH

This is really unecessary for iphones. I mean if it was just a notification was alright, but banning phones from updating or downloading bigger apps then is a turndown. Why we have to go to public places for wifi that is worst than our data? And be real, nobody is going to stay 2h at a coffee shop just to download an app. Then dont make the excuse: why you can afforn an iphone but you cant afforn data because I have an answer for that too. Some people move alot or travel alot, so they dont want to, or just cant make a contract if they dont stay in one place.

Dec 15, 2017 6:23 PM in response to ANiDH

To do this

- Set date&time to manaual

- Set date to future about 3 month

- Try to download again

Both work with download app and OTA software update

FYI

- for iOS 10 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95u0OzH6_L4

- for iOS 11 ดาวน์โหลดแอปจาก App Store ใหญ่กว่า 150MB ผ่าน 3G/4G ไม่ใช้ Wi-Fi บน iOS 11 (4K) - YouTube

- OTA Update over 4G https://www.iphonemod.net/how-to-update-ios-over-cellular.html (Please google translate)

Hope can help

How to download more than 100mb data via cellular

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.