Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exchange ActiveSync (AES) in Mavericks

I have two email accounts that i use: an exchange office 365 account for uni and my standard hotmail outlook.com account. I have them both set up on my iPhone and they both work flawlessly. I have just set up these two accounts on Mavericks. My uni email works fine syncing all email folders in Mail and my calendar in the Calendar app.

My hotmail account doesn't work so well. I set it up as an IMAP account as was explained in another thread and it sends and receives email relatively well. It has a slight bug when moving email to the trash within Mail. The deleted email is not moved to the trash on the server (and hence on my iPhone) until the Mail app is quit. Also there is no way I could find to get my hotmail calendar to sync with the Calendar app.

My question is if Apple can implement Exchange ActiveSync on iPhone and have it work, why can it not be done in OS X? Is the ability to syc with outlook.com accounts something we can expect any time soon?

OS X Mavericks (10.9.1), Mail 7.1, Calendar 7.0

Posted on Feb 22, 2014 3:37 AM

25 replies

Oct 8, 2018 1:12 PM in response to Csound1

Nitrosync’s Touchdown is “temporarily” discontinued for Mac OS, and the company has since been bought up by Symantec, so don’t ever expect this product to return.

The only possible solution at this time is to use Outlook.com through the web browser to get all the features, or have your email via IMAP and edit your calendar on your mobile device or on the web. To see your calendars in Apple Calendar you’d need to share your Outlook.com calendars with your iCloud account.

Oct 8, 2018 1:12 PM in response to knird

Unfortunately, the new version of Outlook for Mac still doesn't support outlook.com like the Windows version does. You can only access outlook.com email over IMAP; no calendar, no contacts. You'll need an Exchange account to use it to its full potential.

The other alternative is signing up for the Azure RemoteApp Preview (http://remoteapp.azure.com) and using the Windows version of Outlook 2013 via RemoteApp. Currently the Preview is free but it takes up to a week to get your account approved to use it.

Oct 8, 2018 1:12 PM in response to John Lockwood

According to a leaked presentation from Microsoft, Office 2015 is supposed to have feature parity with its Windows counterpart. Apparently not.

One reason to stick with Office 365 Home though is that Microsoft is rolling out unlimited online storage to their customers over the coming few months (Home and Business).

Feb 22, 2014 2:15 PM in response to Linc Davis

One of the conclusions I had come to was that it was a licensing issue. I had no other explanation for why it would work on iPhone and not OS X and it is good to have this confirmed. At least it shows that it is Microsoft being greedy and not a fault on Apple's side. I hope in the future this gets resolved as it seems a lot if people have similar problems in using outlook.com accounts in OS X and it would benefit a lot of people.

Aug 3, 2014 11:01 AM in response to user987435

This part that only refers to Mobile devices:

The Exchange ActiveSync protocol allows mobile devices running Windows Mobile to synchronize e-mail, calendar, contacts, and tasks (known as PIM, Personal Information Manager) over the air with the Microsoft Exchange Server

And every other document relating to EAS that only discusses mobile devices and an Exchange server.

But, as per CSound's post, NitoDesk has licensed it and is making a desktop connection client.

Aug 4, 2014 9:35 AM in response to dilbie_1

Microsoft have the following proprietary email protocols -

MAPI

EAS (Exchange Active Sync)

EWS (Exchange Web Services)

Of these the iPhone/iPad support EAS, Apple Mail supports EWS, Outlook 2008/2011 for Mac support EWS, Outlook 2010 for Windows supports MAPI, and Outlook 2013 for Windows supports MAPI to talk to MS Exchange and EAS to talk to Hotmail/Outlook.com.

As far as I am aware Outlook 2013 for Windows does not support EAS for connecting to MS Exchange.

Technically it would be possible for Microsoft to allow using Outlook 2013 for Windows or Apple Mail or a.n.other client to use EAS to connect but as others have discussed Microsoft have chosen to limit the use of EAS.

So, in your case you can do the following.

You can use IMAP to link Apple Mail to Hotmail/Outlook.com to get email only.

You can use EAS to link an iPhone to HotMail/Outlook.com to get email, calendar, and contacts.

You might be able to do the following to link Calendar on the Mac to the calendar that is part of Hotmail/Outlook.com, it appears to be one way though meaning any changes you make on the Mac do not get sent to HotMail/Outlook.com 😟

From http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/124932/setting-outlook-com-contacts-and -calendar-on-osx

You can go to http://calendar.live.com, and get a sharing link for a calendar. Take the ICS link, open Calendar on your Mac. Then, go to Import Subscribed Calendar and paste this link. Make sure to replace webcals:// with https://. This gives you a read-only subscription and at present, is the only workaround to Microsoft's stubbornness. I have no solution for Contacts though.

Aug 4, 2014 9:37 AM in response to John Lockwood

John Lockwood wrote:

Microsoft have the following proprietary email protocols -

MAPI

EAS (Exchange Active Sync)

EWS (Exchange Web Services)

Of these the iPhone/iPad support EAS, Apple Mail supports EWS, Outlook 2008/2011 for Mac support EWS, Outlook 2010 for Windows supports MAPI, and Outlook 2013 for Windows supports MAPI to talk to MS Exchange and EAS to talk to Hotmail/Outlook.com.

As far as I am aware Outlook 2013 for Windows does not support EAS for connecting to MS Exchange.

Technically it would be possible for Microsoft to allow using Outlook 2013 for Windows or Apple Mail or a.n.other client to use EAS to connect but as others have discussed Microsoft have chosen to limit the use of EAS.

http://windowsitpro.com/blog/exchange-eas-and-outlook-2013

Aug 4, 2014 9:58 AM in response to John Lockwood

There is one (that I know of) ActiveSync client available for OS X, Touchdown, I have used it to add EAS to Android devices a couple of times (where it worked well) but have no experience of it on OS X.

System Requirements

Please note the following before you download TouchDown

• You require Mac OS/X Mountain Lion or above to install this product
  • You can use it to connect only with the following server types
    • Microsoft Exchange (with ActiveSync enabled)
    • Zimbra (with ActiveSync enabled)
    • Office 365 (with ActiveSync enabled)
    • Personal accounts with outlook.com (@outlook.com, @msn.com, @hotmail.com, @live.com)
  • Other servers are not supported
  • If you have trouble, please write to macsupport@nitrodesk.com

Oct 31, 2014 12:46 PM in response to Csound1

Csound1, you sent me an insulting email accusing me of attempting to steal software, and left me no way to respond. You don't know me. I was not attempting to steal anything, and I resent your accusation and your tone.

I posted my message asking for a copy of Touchdown for Mac because, as of yesterday, there was no other way to sync Outlook.com mail, calendar, and tasks on the Mac, and I'm desperate to be able to do that. Before Symantec pulled it from the market, it sold for $30. I would have been willing to pay $60 for it, to you, to Symantec, or to whoever could provide me with it because (as of yesterday) there was no other product on the market that could do this. That's desperation, not piracy, so watch who you're calling a thief.

Today, Microsoft announced the long-awaited new version of Outlook for Mac, so I don't need it after all. Here's the link, for others in my predicament. Notice it's not free. See? I'm willing to pay for software. I'm a software developer myself and I wouldn't try to cheat a fellow developer out of their livelihood. Watch the name calling.

http://blogs.office.com/2014/10/31/new-outlook-mac-available-office-365-customer s/

knird28 on outlook.com

Exchange ActiveSync (AES) in Mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.