Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No internet except 32bit Chrome & Terminal

What would cause only 64bit software to quit connecting to the internet.

Recently upgraded to Mavericks 10.9.1. Everything worked great for a couple weeks. Installed Adobe Creative Cloud two nights ago. After it installed I went to download lightroom & photoshop but it wouldn't connect to the internet. Most of my browsers wouldn't connect either, Safari, Firefox, Opera, The App Store, Software Update, Thunderbird.

Chrome connects just fine but it's the only 32 bit software I have, Terminal connects just fine too, I can ping google with no problem. I rebooted to repair mode last night and the repair mode will download a new install of mavericks for me to do a repair install but that will take over 19 hours of downloading when my only problem is the internet.

My Iphone connects just fine as well. So does my roommates windows PCs with both 32bit and 64bit software.

I've tried everything internet fix I could find, manually setting DNS settings to OpenDNS or to 8.8.8.8.

I've tried deleting the files under /Library/Preferences//SystemConfiguration for the NetworkInterfaces and preferences plist.

I've tried removing all my preferred network settings and rebooting and reconnecting

I've tried removing all my adapters, the wifi & ethernet under network system settings and rebooting and adding them back.

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.1)

Posted on Feb 22, 2014 9:53 AM

29 replies

Feb 22, 2014 11:25 AM in response to NoeticC

What would cause only 64bit software to quit connecting to the internet.

Nothing, that's a red herring. [something that is not actually causing the probelm]. There are no reports of network poroblems limited to 32 vs 64-bit Applications.

Are you using a proxy server, Parental controls, or a Firewall on your Mac?

Have you done anything with IPv6 except turn it OFF or Link-local only?

Feb 22, 2014 11:37 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I've noticed there's no reports of issues only effecting 64bit apps, I've searched everything I can for 2 days and tried every fix I could find. I've tried with IPv6 off and on, have not tried Link-local only, my router is IPv6 compliant.

I don't have a proxy, just an AT&T wireless modem with no other routers attached, they should be sending a new one today that I ordered before I realized the problem was only limited to my computer. My at&t dsl is sketchy and slow but when it works everything works except the macs 64bit programs. I have turned off my firewall, and tried with it turned on, it's currently off. I installed avast to try to fix the problem but it didn't help. I turned off the web shield on avast just incase but 64bit internet access didn't work with it on or off...

Litterally the only thing that has changed since everything worked, was the install of Adobe Creative Cloud... I spent 4 hours on the phone with adobe and at&t trying to get it to work, they had me making new accounts on my computer and trying different DNS settings and resetting and reinstalling all sorts of things and nothing fixed it or helped..... I've been working with computers since 91 and with macs for the last 4 years and I've never seen an error quite like this.

Feb 22, 2014 12:21 PM in response to NoeticC

If you are using a Router that you control, your Mac does not need its own Firewall, the one in your Router will do a fine job. Turn off the FireWall in your Mac.

Your Mac does not need any so-called "Virus-protection" other than the ones built into Mac OS X. You should completely remove them ALL.

Consider running this diagnostic and posting the results for problem analysis. It was written by a prolific poster here:

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Feb 22, 2014 12:52 PM in response to turbostar

Tried making a new account while on the phone with adobe, it didn't help.

turbostar wrote:

Create a new user and try there? If still an issue, I'd probably opt for a clean install, v strange issue.

clean install sound like a terrible option... It would take me days to reinstall and update all the software, macs aren't suppose to be wiped and redone, they're suppose to find the problem and fix it.

There's no parental controls set on this account, I do have a temp account with severly limited access via parental controls incase someone else wants to use my computer, those should have no effect on this account. There are no parental controls set for any other account, I double checked. And yes, I'm very sure I got the same results in safe mode.... even tried redoing all the trouble shooting of removing all the internet setting plist files and erasing all my prefered networks and rebooting directly back into safe mode.

Feb 22, 2014 12:58 PM in response to NoeticC

Boot in Recovery mode. In the OS X Utilities screen, select Get Help Online. A clean copy of Safari will launch. No plugins, such as Flash, will be available. While in Recovery, you'll have no access to your saved bookmarks or passwords, so make a note of those before you begin, if they're needed for the test.

Test. After testing, reboot as usual and post the results.

Feb 22, 2014 1:51 PM in response to Linc Davis

Boot in recovery mode, safari works there. it does not work in safe mode still, does not work in regular boot mode still as well.

I removed avast and cleaned up files it left, that didn't change anything, but since the problem started before I installed it I'm not suprised, downloaded EtreCheck, here's the results from that;

Hardware Information:

Mac Pro - model: MacPro5,1

2 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon CPUs: 12 cores

16 GB RAM

Video Information:

ATI Radeon HD 5870 - VRAM: 1024 MB

System Software:

OS X 10.9.1 (13B42) - Uptime: 0 days 0:0:37

Disk Information:

HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH61N

HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GH61N

APPLE SSD TS512B disk0 : (500.28 GB)

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted>: 209.7 MB

Macintosh HD (disk0s2) / [Startup]: 499.42 GB (63.49 GB free)

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted>: 650 MB

Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 disk2 : (2 TB)

EFI (disk2s1) <not mounted>: 209.7 MB

Macintosh HD 2 (disk2s2) /Volumes/Macintosh HD 2: 2 TB (117.26 GB free)

Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 disk1 : (2 TB)

EFI (disk1s1) <not mounted>: 209.7 MB

Macintosh HD 3 (disk1s2) /Volumes/Macintosh HD 3: 2 TB (24.71 GB free)

Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 disk3 : (1 TB)

Drive Z (disk3s1) /Volumes/Drive Z: 615.47 GB (158.13 GB free)

Drive X (disk3s2) /Volumes/Drive X: 384.73 GB (52.82 GB free)

USB Information:

Apple, Inc. Keyboard Hub

Dell Dell USB Mouse

Apple, Inc Apple Keyboard

Apple Inc. Apple LED Cinema Display

Apple Inc. Display Audio

Apple Inc. Display iSight

Apple Inc. BRCM2046 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

FireWire Information:

Thunderbolt Information:

Configuration files:

/etc/hosts - Count: 5

Kernel Extensions:

com.google.filesystems.fusefs (2.2.1)

Launch Daemons:

[System] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist 3rd-Party support link

[System] com.adobe.SwitchBoard.plist 3rd-Party support link

[System] com.cleverfiles.cfbackd.plist 3rd-Party support link

[System] com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist 3rd-Party support link

[System] org.macosforge.xquartz.privileged_startx.plist 3rd-Party support link

Launch Agents:

[System] com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist 3rd-Party support link

[System] com.adobe.AdobeCreativeCloud.plist 3rd-Party support link

[System] com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist 3rd-Party support link

[System] org.macosforge.xquartz.startx.plist 3rd-Party support link

User Launch Agents:

[not loaded] com.adobe.AAM.Updater-1.0.plist 3rd-Party support link

[not loaded] com.adobe.ARM.[...].plist 3rd-Party support link

[not loaded] org.virtualbox.vboxwebsrv.plist 3rd-Party support link

User Login Items:

Dropbox

Internet Plug-ins:

FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 12.0.0.44 - SDK 10.6 3rd-Party support link

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.3

Flash Player: Version: 12.0.0.44 - SDK 10.6 Cannot contact Adobe

AdobePDFViewer: Version: 9.5.5 3rd-Party support link

Default Browser: Version: 537 - SDK 10.9

Unity Web Player: Version: UnityPlayer version 4.3.1f1 - SDK 10.6 3rd-Party support link

Silverlight: Version: 4.0.50917.0 3rd-Party support link

JavaAppletPlugin: Version: Java 7 Update 51 Cannot contact Oracle

Audio Plug-ins:

BluetoothAudioPlugIn: Version: 1.0 - SDK 10.9

AirPlay: Version: 1.9 - SDK 10.9

AppleAVBAudio: Version: 2.0.0 - SDK 10.9

iSightAudio: Version: 7.7.3 - SDK 10.9

iTunes Plug-ins:

Quartz Composer Visualizer: Version: 1.4 - SDK 10.9

3rd Party Preference Panes:

A Better Finder Preferences 3rd-Party support link

Cineform 3rd-Party support link

Flash Player 3rd-Party support link

Flip4Mac WMV 3rd-Party support link

Growl 3rd-Party support link

Java 3rd-Party support link

MacFUSE 3rd-Party support link

NTFS-3G 3rd-Party support link

Perian 3rd-Party support link

Old Applications:

Miro Video Converter: Version: 2.6 - SDK 10.0 3rd-Party support link

Time Machine:

Time Machine not configured!

Top Processes by CPU:

1% WindowServer

0% EtreCheck

0% Google Chrome

0% Creative Cloud

0% aosnotifyd

Top Processes by Memory:

229 MB mds_stores

147 MB com.apple.IconServicesAgent

82 MB Google Chrome Helper

82 MB Google Chrome

66 MB Dropbox

Virtual Memory Information:

13.15 GB Free RAM

1.57 GB Active RAM

263 MB Inactive RAM

1023 MB Wired RAM

405 MB Page-ins

0 B Page-outs

Feb 22, 2014 2:02 PM in response to NoeticC

That is a lot for an SSD boot drive and very little free space. Aim for 20% free. Some programs use the boot drive for caching plugins and scratch, regardless of any other settings you may have set and can use 100GB as temp cache.

If it is 3rd party SSD I would install TRIM Enabler on it, and on another boot drive --- you do have a clone of your system or another copy of 10.9.1 right? you should.

Run Disk Utility Repair Disk and that will invoke trim command.

And try to move as much non system files off, you can get it down to just ~/Library which should be less than 10GB and more like 3-4GB.

APPLE SSD TS512B disk0 : (500.28 GB)

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted>: 209.7 MB

Macintosh HD (disk0s2) / [Startup]: 499.42 GB (63.49 GB FREE)

Feb 22, 2014 2:42 PM in response to The hatter

It is not 3rd party, it's the drive that came with the computer when it was purchased new. All the hardware is stock except for 1 drive and that drive I just put in today to move files around. I have moved 40gb off of it so it's over 100gb free.. that doesn't effect anything. I do not have a copy of 10.9.1 as I don't know how to get one. This computer came with 10.6.4 installed and I upgraded straight to mavricks from the internet a couple weeks ago but hadn't upgraded the operating system anymore than the updates prior to that.

No clone either as I don't have a free drive right now. I was slowly working on that but have not managed as of yet. still, how would installing a 200mb creative cloud push me over some sort of cache space limit when this drive has had way less free space than that at numerous occasions with no issues and why in the world would that effect my internet connection for only 64bit software. I deal with large media files on a regular basis so my drives fill up fast.

Is there anyway I can get a printup of my network settings that may be more useful in helping fix this as opposed to addressing my dire need for a proper backup?

Feb 22, 2014 3:35 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Setting up a new location says it fails, except in my wifi settings its all there set up as a new location, when i go to diagnose, I get green lights on Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Settings, Network Settings and ISP, I get red lights on Internet and Server, both saying failed. yet, here I am still posting here on Chrome. As far as I can tell, that gives me the same broken internet under a new location as I had under the Automatic location. 😟 Something is broken somewhere and I can't find it......

Feb 22, 2014 3:45 PM in response to NoeticC

As a side note, I've already tried running a phone line across my house and plugging the dsl modem in in my room and connecting with ethernet, that did not fix the problem either so the problem is not limited to WiFi, ethernet has the same issue. I still get chrome but no apps or other browsers work, quite honestly I don't even care about the internet not working since chrome works, I just wanted to get the new version of lightroom from CC so that I could work on all my lightroom 4 files that I started editing on a friends computer in Washington without having to spend days redoing what I had already done and hadn't exported yet here in Florida. but my version of adobe design premium only had lightroom 3 so there's no way I could import the edits without getting an upgrade so I ordered the creative cloud, installed the cloud software and everything died....

now instead of waisting days re-editing all the files I've spent 3 days trying to fix my computer...... :/ I really don't want to spend 19 hours downloading the repair install of mavricks especially if there's a chance that won't help either but it's looking like that might be my next option if I don't find an actual real fix for the real problem....

No internet except 32bit Chrome & Terminal

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.