Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iphone 5 is stuck on a screen displaying the itunes symbol and a charging cable. I tried connecting it to itunes and it won't recognize it or anything. what can i do?

my iphone 5 is stuck on a screen displaying the itunes symbol and a charging cable. I tried connecting it to itunes and it won't recognize it or anything. what can i do?

iPhone 5

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2014 9:14 AM

Turn it off by holding home+ power button untill the screen goes black ( as soon as it goes black, release the buttons).. This might take some practice , so dont worry if on the first try your phone reboots and goes to itunes screen again.

Now, with your phone powered off, enter DFU mode:

Method 1)

• Attach the phone to the pc
  • Turn the phone off
  • Hold power and home together for *exactly* 10 seconds
  • Release power but keep holding home until the pc beeps as a USB device is recognized.

Whilist in dfu mode, itunes will recognize the device and it will ask you if you wish to restore it. Simply click restore, and the restoring proces will begin.

This will hopefully fix your iphone.

Cheers 🙂

25 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2014 9:14 AM in response to nlanglois13

Turn it off by holding home+ power button untill the screen goes black ( as soon as it goes black, release the buttons).. This might take some practice , so dont worry if on the first try your phone reboots and goes to itunes screen again.

Now, with your phone powered off, enter DFU mode:

Method 1)

• Attach the phone to the pc
  • Turn the phone off
  • Hold power and home together for *exactly* 10 seconds
  • Release power but keep holding home until the pc beeps as a USB device is recognized.

Whilist in dfu mode, itunes will recognize the device and it will ask you if you wish to restore it. Simply click restore, and the restoring proces will begin.

This will hopefully fix your iphone.

Cheers 🙂

Feb 23, 2014 10:13 AM in response to nlanglois13

Now.. When your phone is turned off, do not plug the usb chord yet. Press the home and power button and keep holding them together for exactly 10 seconds,then release the power button but keep holding the home button. WHile you're holding the home button for another 14 seconds, then connect your usb , and your phone will be recognized as in DFU mode and you will be able to restore your device.

<Personal Information Edited By Host>

Feb 23, 2014 9:47 AM in response to nlanglois13

It should. There could be a problem with your usb cable, I'm not sure anymore 😟 All I know is, I had the same problem as you numerous times, and I used this method to restore my device and other peoples devices, I do not understand why this method doesnt work for you. I wish it worked. There could also be a problem with iTunes. Have you tried reinstalling itunes? Have you tried using an another usb cable to connect your phone to your pc?

Feb 23, 2014 9:54 AM in response to nlanglois13

So you've succesfuly put your phone in DFU mode but your itunes doesnt recognize it? Hmmm... your pc recognizes it so it means that your usb cable is just fine, and that you've succesfuly put your phone in DFU mode. This means that the problem is with iTunes. Uninstall it and reinstall it,or use an another computer with itunes on it and try and restore your phone while in DFU mode. I really hope this solves your problem 🙂

Try some of these steps to get your itunes to recognize your device:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1538

I really hope this works 🙂

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.