Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 bricked after 7.0.6 update, anyone else have this issue?

During the update to 7.0.6 the iPhone 4 failed to apply the update and booted up in restore mode. When restoring the iPhone fails during the hardware firmware write and displays an "unknown error" Error 12. It happens on multiple computers and versions OSX, including the latest version of Mavericks. Apple support walked through after everything I tried failed and proceded to tell me that the the phone is broken and must be sent in for repair at a cost of $149. So, unwilling to take responsibility for an update breaking a phone that was working perfectly before 7.0.6 update, that is how Apple's newest security patch bricked one of my phones. Beware with the install!

I was wondering if this was common with others or not? Have you had a similar issue, let me know?

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.6, Update broke phone

Posted on Feb 24, 2014 11:33 AM

25 replies

Feb 25, 2014 3:44 AM in response to sda33

After updating to 7.0.6 I can no longer send receive text / imessages. It keeps telling me to log into to my apple acct but then doesn't recognize it. Tells me to check my carrier connection/ sign in to itunes. I play Words and no longer can receive notification when its my turn. Have to open the app to find out. So wish I had not updated. It worked perfectly until I did.!

Feb 25, 2014 6:36 AM in response to iMachia

You may have to restore as a new device. You will lose everything so backup your device first.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4137

Desperate times call for desperate measures. People many times were touting Apple as having no issues and not needing to resintall the OS because of problems with Microsoft OS. I think these people had rose colored glasses. I work on Windows, Apple and Linux boxes. All have their quirks but what they all have in common is that sometimes the only fix is to start from scratch.

Feb 25, 2014 7:46 AM in response to iMachia

In that case you may want to consider making an appointment at a local Apple store if possible. The personnel in the store may be able to resolve the issue. If not, and your device is truly broken, Apple will not replace under warranty because of a software update as it is impossible to convince Apple the update broke the phone. You may be able to get a replacement, for some money of course. But less than the cost of a new device.

Feb 25, 2014 8:47 AM in response to iMachia

Sometimes a hardware issue becomes apparent after a software update, and sometimes its pure coincidence. Most peoples updates will have gone well, forums show the small minority that dont unfortumnately. My 5s and my wifes 5c both worked fine for instance, even though thats no good for you, i'm just saying its not all phones and there is always a flurry of these incidents after software updates. Contact Apple and via the help line, if you have an extended warrranty as you say your phone is 1.5 years old. If there is an issue they will ask you to send your phone in, and an exchange can be made if you live to far from your nearest Apple shop possibly. If you are out of warranty then you can do an out of warranty replacement. As to it being a software issue, have you done a DFU mode restore? Hope it works out.

Feb 26, 2014 2:29 PM in response to sda33

Yes, not suprising though, and I would consider myself to be an innocent bystander who was forced into an update due to a spill on my phone yesterday. When I finally got the phone to turn back on (iPhone 4) I was told by iTunes that I needed to check for an update. Once it found the update (I don't recall it mentioning what version it was updating from), the point is I couldn't do anyting else unless I accepted the offer to update. Horse crap. My phone was fine now it's not.

Feb 26, 2014 5:24 PM in response to canadaeh007

I can't get past restore either, and I've never seen the power supply icon with an arrow pointing to the iTunes logo before yesterday. Researching on the net uncovers basically a lot of the same thing like 4 or 5 years ago. Here's a link... I take that back... read this from Gizmodo... http://gizmodo.com/303171/apple-says-unlocked-iphones-will-brick-after-software- update-+-what-does-it-mean Whatever to that, I haven't even read the whole article but the lady with the look on her face and the brick costume can't be good.

iPhone 4 bricked after 7.0.6 update, anyone else have this issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.