Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro (8 core with the D700 GPU's) with Dell U2713H monitors and text is fuzzy and monitor doesn't look as clear as my 2009 27" iMac. Any suggestions on setup, calibration or known issues?

Just set up a new Mac Pro (8 core with the D700 GPU's) with dual Dell U2713H monitors. Text is fuzzy and monitor doesn't look as clear as my 2009 27" iMac. Any suggestions on setup, calibration or known issues? I have tried HDMI and Displayports no difference. Monitor's are allegedly precalibrated at the factory and are displaying at 2560 X 1440 @ 60Hz

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Feb 25, 2014 8:11 PM

16 replies

Feb 26, 2014 11:00 AM in response to OptimumReality

By way of other feedback, I am using a Dell SP2309W display with my quad-core Mac Pro with D300 GPUs and hooked up using the HDMI connections. My result was quite different than yours. Text is sharper and overall color is stronger than before, clearly an improvement over previous Mac Pro (late 2008 version).

So why do we get different results? Any chance it's because you are using dual monitors? Do you get the same result with just one hooked up?

Feb 26, 2014 2:25 PM in response to OptimumReality

The "patch" using the ruby command in Terminal creates an Override file that you copy into the System/Library/Displays/ folder. From what I understand it will be remain in that folder unless a future Maverick upgrade erases it. That's why a keep a copy of the patch so I can reuse it again and reinsert it into the Displays folder. Don't know for sure if it will be permament or not. Time will tell. When I originally had the problem, I was ready to return my 2013 Mac Pro if I couldn't fix it and wait for a future version. BTW, the HDMI output didn't help at all with my Dell U3014 and U3011 displays, but the patch did the job fortunately. Apparently they have the same problem with some of the retina Macbook Pro's using a Dell monitor. Good Luck.

Mar 3, 2014 12:42 PM in response to OptimumReality

I actually am attempting to return the monitors to Dell. Which I must say has the worst customer service phone support I have ever experienced. I have spoken to outsourced support on 3 different continents and no one in the US. They are quick on the sales line but the returns require you to pass through many hands. El Salvador's desk has been the most helpful.

In any case on the solution side. I simply purchased a couple of thunderbolt displays. The extra cost is well worth dealing with warm bodies in a retail setting and educated people based in the US when there are any issues. The form factor and extra features are not exactly what I was looking for but they should work well and last a long time. Sometimes simpler is better.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Mar 3, 2014 1:22 PM in response to OptimumReality

Did you try the patch? I know it took me a couple of tries before I understood how it worked. Maybe it doesn't work for your particular monitor. As I said if it didn't work for me I was ready to return my 2013 Mac Pro until they figured a workaround.

I've had good luck with Dell monitors in the past but I know how frustrating it gets dealing with their inferior support. I buy my Dell monitors lately thru Costco who has an indefinite return policy on monitors.

Jun 6, 2014 1:28 AM in response to OptimumReality

I'm not sure if you've returned the monitor but I had the same problem with my new Mac Pro.

Basically the Dell monitor doesn't identify itself properly via Mini Display Port/Thunderbolt and newer Macs think it's a TV so the wrong kind of signal is sent to the monitor.

It's easily fixed - don't be put off by the instructions below, I've just done it and it takes less than a minute.

Here's what you do:

Download the Ruby script (click 'patch-edid.rb' in yellow):

http://embdev.net/topic/284710#3027030

• Move the downloaded 'patch-edid.rb' file to your desktop
  • Open the Terminal app from: /Applications/Utilities/Terminal
  • In Terminal, type the following and hitting enter (or copy and paste it into Terminal and hit enter):

ruby ~/Desktop/patch-edid.rb

• Go to your desktop
  • Check that a new folder was created - something like: "DisplayVendorID-10ac"
  • Open the Display Overrides folder at:

/Macintosh HD/System/Library/Displays/Overrides/

• Copy the new folder into the /Overrides directory
  • Authenticate with your user password (if asked)
  • Restart your mac

For the first few seconds after restart it might look like nothing has changed but by the time you see the login screen (or your Desktop) everything will look as it should.

That's it - you won't have to do this again unless you erase and reinstall your mac.

Hope that helps someone.

Cheers

Ben

Jun 6, 2014 4:19 PM in response to Hussein Mahmoud

Any workaround or driver upload to fix this

The Mac does not use any "Driver downloads". It uses the capabilities the device says it has to set screen resolution, timing, and all other parameters.

The best signal is provided by DisplayPort. But as others have stated above, Bugs in the Dell EDID ("what are your capabilities?") mean the Mac treats it as a TV set, and the color and a few other things are wrong. The downloaded software should fix those problems. Make certain you have set the maximum available resolution.

HDMI is very troublesome. You need special cables to get acceptable results above 1920 by 1080p.

Jul 15, 2014 7:22 AM in response to OptimumReality

Thought I'd add a quick update.

I've just had a Dell U2713H arrive. I've plugged it in to my new mac pro using the Mini Display port to Thunderbolt option.

It defaulted to RGB mode with a resolution of 2560x1440 @ 60Hz and all looks good.

Perhaps there was a fix in the latest OS update, and I was all set for some terminal tinkering!

Anyway, it works, of course none of the Dell software does but we knew that 🙂

R

Mac Pro (8 core with the D700 GPU's) with Dell U2713H monitors and text is fuzzy and monitor doesn't look as clear as my 2009 27" iMac. Any suggestions on setup, calibration or known issues?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.