Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi-pitched screeching sound while making calls

While using my iphone 5, OTHER PEOPLE report hearing a high-piched screeching sound at various times during the conversation. I don't hear anything unusual (no noise)!!. Has anyone else had this problem? Known fixes? I've had this phone for 1.5 years -- problem only recently, but getting more frequent.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Feb 26, 2014 4:07 PM

46 replies

Aug 8, 2014 9:52 AM in response to ghovland

iphone 5 7.1.2, Verizon

I am having this issue since 4 months. I have received multiple devices as replacement as my phone was still under warranty. Nothing seems to solve this.

I was being suggested below , I tried them all

1. Mark calls with ###, once I marked them they came up with an answer there is nothing wrong with the network , change the phone

2. Next phone had same issues, answer was its due to incoming calls from T mobile.

When I showed them even AT&T people heard it, they suggested to change the phone

3. Next phone had same issues, they suggested me not to use bluetooth and talk from an area with full bars (now dots). I receive at least 3 dots if not 4 or 5 at my home.

4. Next phone, they suggested to not restore the back up but setup Iphone as new. I did and only installed 1 app. Still people on other side had screeching sound, this time it was Sprint and T mobile both.

Funny part when I called apple support and verizon for the first time, even they could hear that sound.

No one seems to know why this is happening. I may buy a basic clamshell phone, insert my SIM card in that and use it for a few days to deduce if its device related or carrier. Again I am no expert.

Aug 22, 2014 5:56 AM in response to ghovland

This problem seems to be something internal to the iPhone 5S I have. Since June 2014, I have to attend a daily teleconference and one day, my iPhone 5S started screeching during the call. My iPhone 5S was on mute at the time and I had headphones on. I disconnected from the call and called back into the teleconference. The leader of the teleconference asked who just joined and after I confirmed it was me, the said they all heard the screeching noise.

I thought the issue was with my mobile provider (T-Mobile), so I started using Skype to attend the teleconferences. I thought everything was fine using Skype, but just the other day it happened again. My coworker in Europe confirmed everyone heard the screeching noise before I could disconnect.

This is not good. There can be up to 20 people on these teleconferences and my iPhone 5S is causing them all to pause until I can get disconnected. This needs a fix, and ASAP.

Apr 28, 2014 2:24 PM in response to ghovland

My wife is having this problem as well. Nobody seems to know how to fix it or even pinpoint the problem. What service are you two with? We are with Verizon and they said it could be the network. They indicated that it wasn't a problem with the handset, but I remain skeptical since I am not having the problem and we are on the same plan & network.

May 15, 2014 1:38 PM in response to sch16435

OK, this seems to solve the problem: It seems that the problem (screeching, distortion, high-pitched noise) happens when I am the recipient of the call, and primarily if the person calling me is an AT&T subscriber (I'm Verizon). But if I hang up and call them back, the problem has always stopped, and doesn't reoccur during the whole call! Please try this and report back if this solution works for you, and if it's an AT&T vs. Verizon problem.

Jun 11, 2014 11:34 AM in response to ghovland

I'm having the same high-pitched screech. It happens when I call a Verizon phone or land-line.

I called Verizon and they didn't know what to do to fix it. They are sending a new SIM card (not very hopeful that will help) and asked me to track calls where it happens by dialing ### (send) after a call where I was experiencing the problem. After 5 times, they can escalate the issue.

iPhone 5, OS 7.1.1.

May 27, 2015 12:57 PM in response to questioneverything

I think I have stumbled upon the answer to this problem.

My phone, too, started screeching a few months back. I went thru the ATT routine and the Apple routine. I did the wifi/bluetooth/speakerphone drill. I factory reset the phone (a new 6). Finally, Apple replaced the phone. Nothing worked.

Since the screech was electrical in nature, we even thought perhaps my hip joint replacement might be causing interference. Then we thought it might be my iPad. My computer. My car.

I got a new car. Still screeching.

Finding the answer became a career.

Last week, my sister said, 'You've tried everything else. Could it possibly be an app that's doing this?"

Bingo.

I dumped the apps that were newest and I also unchecked Notifications in Settings for most things. I have not had any screeching since then, and it's been almost a week.

I wish I could tell you which app(s) are involved but I have no idea, since I dumped about 20 of them. And it if was a Notification problem, I can't tell you which one there either.

All I can say is that after months of the most unbearable screeching you could imagine, it has finally stopped.

I'd love to hear if this works for anyone else.

Good luck!

Patty Soffer

Jun 13, 2015 11:23 AM in response to DLH1512

I have a 6 plus with life proof case. The squeeling makes my phone unusable. It usually occurs within the first couple minutes of use. Only I can hear it. I can sometimes get it to stop by switching to speaker phone then back. When I do this the person on the other side hears a brief loud noise.

I am with Att. This problem occurs when talking to anyone. Their provider does not matter. This is my third iPhone and first time having the problem.

IVe ice wonder if it were the case. I don't think it is apps. It started before I had any apps on it. I've only had the phone two weeks.

Hi-pitched screeching sound while making calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.