Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does your Apple ID ever expire?

I received an email saying my Apple ID was due to expire in 48h. Not sure if this is legitimate. Anyone else receive this?

Posted on Feb 27, 2014 8:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 15, 2017 10:49 AM

If you haven't already done so you could forward it to Apple (these are user-to-user forums) : http://www.apple.com/legal/more-resources/phishing/

To report spam or other suspicious messages that you have received through iMessage, please send them to imessage.spam@apple.com with the requested information.

23 replies

Jul 8, 2017 9:05 AM in response to Cackswagg

As this thread has already explained multiple times, Apple IDs do not expire. So, if you got an email telling you to surrender your personal information in order to prevent your Apple ID from expiring, then you are the target of a phishing attack.

Apple ID's do not expire, and Apple will never send you a threatening email telling you that if you don't do something within a specific period of time some punitive action will be taken. Anything like that is a total scam. You need to learn to recognize these phishing attacks.

Here is an article that might help: Identify and report phishing communications - Apple Support

Use your common sense, and don't ever click on a link in an email to change personal login information for any site you belong to. Instead, independently, go to the site via a URL that you know is legit, and if you need to make changes, do so based on your independent entry into that site.

GB

Feb 27, 2014 8:54 PM in response to Sheila148

Identifying legitimate emails from the iTunes Store

Identifying fraudulent "phishing" email

These "phishing" scams are becoming more prevalent and may be the cause of a lot of reports on this site alleging fraudulent charges from the iTunes Store. They can be very authentic-looking. For a couple examples read this post: I received an email from appleid@id.apple.com requesting that I verify my Apple ID and password. Is it legitmate?

As far as anyone knows, Apple IDs are immortal and never expire.

Mar 21, 2015 10:57 PM in response to gail from maine

When Lucy and I married in Aug. of 2013, we created a shared Apple ID and I stopped using my old ID. I have a first generation iPad with about 600 songs purchased with my old ID. Last month I got my first iPhone. I tried to get my songs from my iPad to my iPhone by subscribing to iTunes Match. That only put the songs bought with the shared ID onto the iPad. I believe the iPad songs are DRM because I bought them many years ago. So, now I am trying to reactivate my old account so that I can Match the iPad songs in iTunes, then download them as DRM-free songs. iTunes Match should then load them onto my iPhone. I have tried the My Apple ID page to reset my password, but the backup gmail address was closed over a year ago, and it says I am entering the wrong birth date for the account. So, I believe the Apple ID has expired or someone has hacked into it. When this old iPad dies, I will lose hundreds of dollers worth of songs if I cant get them Matched to iTunes. Any suggestions would be appeciated.

Thank you,

Russell

Mar 21, 2015 11:01 PM in response to LucyandRussell

There have been other reports of a problem with the birth date not working when people are trying to reset their Apple ID password. You can contact Apple Support to get your info reset so that you can update your password:

ACCOUNT SECURITY CONTACT NUMBERS

It is a pretty painless process. I had to call into them a few weeks ago to get my husband's Security Questions reset, and it was pretty easy. These folks know what to do to get you into your account so you can reset your password.

Cheers,

GB

Mar 21, 2015 11:03 PM in response to LucyandRussell

By the way, you can directly download those past purchases to your computer by signing on your old ID to iTunes (once you get the password reset 🙂), and then go to "Purchased" under the Quick Links section in the iTunes Music Store. Click on Not in My Library, and Songs or Albums (your choice). You will see all of your purchased items with a little cloud next to them. At the bottom of the screen, you will see a Download All button. Click on that to download all of your past purchases.

Cheers,

GB

Apr 10, 2016 6:41 AM in response to gail from maine

I recently changed our Apple ID at the request of Adobe when I had problems trying to update Adobe Creative Cloud. Today I received a text "[My family name] [My given name] Your Apple ID is due to be terminated today. Prevent this by confirming your Apple ID at http://appleexpired.com - Apple Inc." I clicked the link and it looked valid but when completing my details I got to a point where I had to give my credit card details so I stopped.

Is this a valid request and site or is it a scam which has coincidentally appeared soon after I changed our Apple ID?

Does your Apple ID ever expire?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.