Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop Facetime loading at startup

How can I stop this? It's not a login item under system preferences/user account/login items. There is no option to disable the startup launch in preferences in the app itself. I can obviously delete the app, but thought I'd see if anyone knew a less dramatic route.

Why do you do this Apple? It was a security update for a particularly egregious problem. Was there any need to sneak something people didn't want into it and then give them no way to undo it?

MacBok, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Feb 28, 2014 6:21 AM

34 replies

Apr 10, 2014 7:17 PM in response to Eric Root

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the help and am now all sorted and am not afraid to admit that as in most cases it's just a case of being new to Mac and completely duh !!

First .. my name was not in the Finder Sidebar .. so, after some research, went to top left corner next to the apple logo to 'Finder' then 'Preferences' 'Sidebar' and ticked my name to add it. Of course I'm not saying all this for your benefit but for the next duh bloke like me who comes along.

So, once I'm in there I can follow your trail and delete the files in library. Unfortunately, just like tplen 1 above it didn't help :-(

However.. good news.. all is now fixed .. how.. just examine how duh I think I am and study. Open Facetime.. go back up to the top left next to the little apple logo and click on 'Facetime' and then .. wait for it ... yes.. 'turn off facetime' :-) done.. as easy as that..

Hope this help some other newbie in time to come and hope you will help me in time to come.

Cheers.

Jul 2, 2017 4:30 PM in response to Math Otter

I don't want FaceTime at all; just messages on my MacBook Pro 2014 mid I don't like seeing myself online and I don't to feel like I am in the Jetson's TV show on a video prompter. Messages are less distracting. Why do they come together as a combo? Sometimes it feels like Apple and Google are always forcing things on us...choices we want choices we are free!

Feb 28, 2014 7:29 AM in response to Math Otter

Hi Matt,

I appreciate what you are saying but the fact is Facetime does not start on my computer when I boot up, so it is not something intrinsic in 10.9.2. It must be some setting on your computer.

Looking around the help sites there have been instances were removing the plist file for Facetime has cured this problem, you could try that, it will make a new plist when/if you start it up.

About the other suggestion, are you logged into Facetime or like me you don't use it and it just keep starting up at boot time?

Feb 28, 2014 12:24 PM in response to watts300

Yes, I think it's pretty clearly stated above, but I did the following things:

1. I went into login items in the system preferences user account settings and verified that Facetime is not an entry that I could delete.

2. I went into Facetime itself and looked at the preferences menu. I turned it off. I rebooted. Facetime started again at reboot.

Feb 28, 2014 2:18 PM in response to Math Otter

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

You might need to redo the View settings after an update.

Stop Facetime loading at startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.