Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best template to use in xcode 5 to make a game?

I've seen videos where people mainly use "Single View Application" and I've also heard of "Spritekit". I aslo know there are others. Which one would be the best to use to develop games and why? Why would you use one over another for a game out of any of the templates?

Posted on Mar 3, 2014 5:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 11:31 AM

With the release of iOS 7 there also came an awesome template called "SpriteKit". Being a native framework, you are guaranteed bug fix updates as well as updates to accomadate future iOS versions; something that external game frameworks will not provide.

It is very easy to use and it runs great! I would highly reccommend you give it a try, I'm almost positive you will fall in love.

You can find all sorts of tutorials and information on it here.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2014 11:31 AM in response to Like Mee

With the release of iOS 7 there also came an awesome template called "SpriteKit". Being a native framework, you are guaranteed bug fix updates as well as updates to accomadate future iOS versions; something that external game frameworks will not provide.

It is very easy to use and it runs great! I would highly reccommend you give it a try, I'm almost positive you will fall in love.

You can find all sorts of tutorials and information on it here.

Mar 4, 2014 5:07 PM in response to Like Mee

For the actual game, no. As far as creating the menu and such you do have the option of using standard Cocoa Touch, unless you wanted to make something unique (playable menu?) with SpriteKit.

It does really help your game stand out to have something unique about like that.

I feel like Cocoa Touch is intimidating you a little bit, just because of your question on whether or not you will have to learn it. Don't worry, go ahead and take a look at the tutorials I linked in the original post and go from there!

Mar 5, 2014 1:07 PM in response to Like Mee

I'm not really sure what Cocoa Touch is so I just looked it up on Google and went on Wikipedia. It said, "Cocoa Touch provides an abstraction layer of iOS, the operating system for the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. Cocoa Touch is based on the Mac OS XCocoa APItoolset and, like it, is primarily written in the Objective-C language." I thought Cocoa Touch was a "language" but it says it is written in objective c. So then what is the difference between Cocoa Touch and Objective C, and what exactly is Cocoa Touch. I am so confused.

Mar 5, 2014 6:21 PM in response to Like Mee

Not directly. Objective-C is a programming language that is an extension of C. You use this programming language to develop applications for OS X and iOS, using a framework called Cocoa Touch. By learning Objective-C, you are learning part of the C programming language as well, and you apply this language using Cocoa Touch to create iOS and OS X applications.

Mar 6, 2014 12:31 AM in response to TrentRand

I do not have the option of editing, but I may add that by learning Objective-C, you will be learning to program. With this programming knowledge you can solve an infinite series of problems by creating suitable code. You will then also have the option of applying the Objective-C programming language to communicate with a set of code creating by Apple Inc. that simplifies and standardizes the creation of iOS and OS X applications. This is called Cocoa Touch.

Quoted from Wikipedia:

Cocoa Touch is a UI framework for building software programs to run on the iOS operating system. Cocoa Touch provides an abstraction layer of iOS, the operating system for the iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad.

What is the best template to use in xcode 5 to make a game?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.