Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New patch 10.9.2 freezes my mac book pro retina

So ever since I updated this new patch 10.9.2 every now and then my macbook freezes to the point there nothing will move even when i shut the led the apple glowing logo will still stay lit. I have to complete shut down the laptop by powering down can some one help me figure out how to unfreeze this and is this happing to anyone else. This has never happend before btw.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B02

SMC Version (system): 2.3f36

Serial Number (system): C02JRJMLDKQ1

Hardware UUID: AB8C4226-9F66-54FF-B395-0229230618DB

Posted on Mar 4, 2014 12:02 PM

33 replies

Mar 4, 2014 12:04 PM in response to musiclovermike

Try these in order testing your system after each to see if it's back to normal:

1. a. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

b. Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

2. Restart the computer in Safe Mode, then restart again, normally. If this doesn't help, then:

Boot to the Recovery HD: Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the

COMMAND and R keys until the Utilities menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the

computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager

screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

3. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions: Upon startup select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions as follows.

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the main menu. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

Reinstall the 10.9.2 update: OS X Mavericks 10.9.2 Update (Combo).

4. Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion, Mavericks: Reboot from the Recovery HD. Select Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion, Mavericks from the Utilities menu, and click on the Continue button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Reinstall the 10.9.2 update: OS X Mavericks 10.9.2 Update (Combo).

Mar 5, 2014 6:47 AM in response to musiclovermike

I also have a MacBook Pro 10.1, and since upgrading to 10.9.2, my Mac has completely frozen twice. When this happens, the screen is frozen, you cannot click or type anything, the Mac does not sleep when you close the lid – ongoing Skype calls, however, continue to work (even with the lid closed).

I'm sure this is a problem caused by 10.9.2, because I have never had a similar freeze before and now I already experienced two of them.

Mar 5, 2014 8:18 AM in response to petermus

This is excatly the same problem that I have had from this new patch. I dont know but have you or anyone else noticed the avalablie active memory space has decreced also?

It seems like everytime there is a new patch my avalabile active memory goes down by 5%! What is this?

With my ram hard glued in to my mac book pro retina there is no way for me to upgrade, so why cant these patchs help maninage my ram instead every patch memory useage goes up?

Mar 9, 2014 8:53 AM in response to musiclovermike

Same issue... happens at least once a day. Started the same day that I did the update, so it's definitely from that.

I can hit esc and the screen will go dark (or close the book)... and when i wake it, screen turns on, but it's frozen, and i can even see the exact minute that it froze on the clock.

I've even left the computer running with no programs open, and about 12 hours later it freezes again.

Does anybody know how to downgrade to 10.9.1?

I've stayed off applying this update to my iMac. Has anybody seen if this is related only to rmbp or other macs as well?

Mar 13, 2014 5:15 PM in response to musiclovermike

Hello everyone!

May be my experience of last 2 weeks of «shaman's dances with a tambourine» around my Mac will help someone.

So, after update my MacBook Pro Retina Mid 2012 to OS X 10.9.2 I encountered a problem: my MacBook become freeze suddenly and randomly.

I discovered that the problem was in incompatibility between new update OS X 10.9.2 & screen saver Marine Aquarium 3.2.1 only in this case: Mac trying to go to sleep in automatic mode as described in System Preferences Energy Saver tab when the screen saver active. In other cases everything is Ok.

I chose another screen-saver and waiting for a new available updates from Apple or Serene Screen, although you just could switch on «never go to sleep» in Sys. Pref.

Good luck,

Aleksey

Mar 16, 2014 11:01 PM in response to musiclovermike

I am seeing very similar problems w/ an iMac 27" from 2013. In my case, I can pretty well isolate it to heavy use of the USB - such as doing large disk copies, or backups to a USB drive - the system becomes less responsive, and eventualy freezes. I even took the machine in for service after having thought I'd isolated the problem to the USB controller. They swapped the entire logic board. Got the machine back. Same problem. Kinda frustrating because I can't do backups very conveniently...

I observed similar freezes w/ a laptop running 10.9.2 that I was using to try to backup the iMac over thunderbolt. I had the iMac hookup up via thunderbolt, and put it in target mode, and then hooked my backup drive to the laptop over USB. Tried backing up the iMac to the USB drive this way, and saw similar freeze-ups on my laptop. I was eventualy able to back-up the iMac by booting the laptop into Snow Leopard.

I've done several complete clean re-installs of 10.9.2 (plus all of the other stuff mentioned by Kappy above, which is pretty much the standard script that they run you thru if you call Apple tech support). None of 'em have made any difference.

Mar 17, 2014 8:36 AM in response to llirik K

10.9.2 is ******* ******* me off.😠 It freezes my laptop every day and my god **** memory is majorly depleted! *** is apple doing!? I am not dumb to not notice when my laptop has changed from one point to the next! Its like a person that is knows there car and when there is a problem and I am tell you people this patch is a ******* problem that needs to be address asap. I am getting fed up with apple products depleting with every patch this is the same crap that happens to the iphone also every patch seems to make there products get worse lately.

Is this some kind of new business model to keep us buying there newer version of their product?

Mar 24, 2014 6:34 PM in response to musiclovermike

I can vouch that on a mid-2012 rMBP that reinstalling Mavericks and updating only to 10.9.1 seems to resolve the issue for me. I've disabled software update checks for now to keep from accidently installing 10.9.2 until further notice.

If you are still on 10.9.2, I would recommend turning on the Remote Login feature. Once the display freezes, I was however able to remote back in via SSH and found the windowserver process in an uninterruptable wait state, the rest of the running apps and programs were running normally waiting for input. I was not successful in restarting the windowserver process, but I was able to issue a shutdown -r now to gracefully restart my Mac while likely loosing data in any program that was open.

Doing some heavy googling, it seems to lots of threads related to graphics cards issues of various severity after upgrading to 10.9.2 where graphics card drivers were infact changed, so I'm going to write this update off as a lemon and wait until 10.9.3.

New patch 10.9.2 freezes my mac book pro retina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.