Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Slow to Load, Very Slow

On Apple TV, under Settings, iTunes Store, Video Resolution is set to Standard Definition.

I have two TV shows that have already been purchased and viewed.

We then went on vacation for two weeks and have now returned.

I bring up Apple TV, click one of the two shows I want to watch (doesn't matter which one, this happens with both), Click on Play.

It gives the on-screen message: "Accessing iTunes Store" - which I don't get, because I would have thought that the show is stored locally since it has already been purchased and watched, but anyway...

Then get the on-screen message "Loading"...for about 5 minutes or so.

Then on-screen message says "Ready to play in 46 hours 4 minutes." As I sit there dumbly watching the screen, that message changes to 17 hours, then 23 hours, then 34 hours...up and down... so I let it run like that all night.

Next morning..."Ready to play in 37 hours..."

I can't see how it would be a slow internet speed since all of my other laptops, iPhones, etc are able to connect to the local wireless network with 4 bars, no apparent slow down with them.

Is it possible that my ISP is specifically trying to slow down Apple TV?

Any body ever had this problem?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 5, 2014 5:13 AM

35 replies

Mar 5, 2014 6:53 AM in response to Claude Crider

Claude Crider wrote:

It gives the on-screen message: "Accessing iTunes Store" - which I don't get, because I would have thought that the show is stored locally since it has already been purchased and watched, but anyway...

The ATV (2nd and 3rd Gen black box) has virtually no onboard storage. All content is streamed to the device.

Claude Crider wrote:

Then get the on-screen message "Loading"...for about 5 minutes or so.

Then on-screen message says "Ready to play in 46 hours 4 minutes." As I sit there dumbly watching the screen, that message changes to 17 hours, then 23 hours, then 34 hours...up and down... so I let it run like that all night.

Next morning..."Ready to play in 37 hours..."

I can't see how it would be a slow internet speed since all of my other laptops, iPhones, etc are able to connect to the local wireless network with 4 bars, no apparent slow down with them.

This indicates a network issue. Power cycle the ATV, router, and Internet modem.

Mar 5, 2014 9:25 AM in response to diesel vdub

I rebooted ATV, router and modem. This improved my estimated load time from 17 hours to 1 hour 45 min. :-0

Then I walked over by the TV with my iPhone. Only one out of 4 bars.

Then I went to Settings on ATV, checked the network settings. Signal Strength was only 2 out of 5 bars.

Also noticed that when I started to download the TV program, response time for laptop went into the dust bin. Could not load the simplest web page. My entire wireless network stopped responding. Apparently the tiny bit of data that was coming down for ATV was the max that the ISP could provide. I think it's supposed to be a '15 MB' system.

My conclusion is that my ISP has provided me with a very inferior strength network. It's one of those modem/wireless router combos.

So I'm going to give them a chance to improve the service and if they can't then I'll switch providers.

Thanks for the help!

Mar 22, 2015 9:18 AM in response to Claude Crider

Personally I find that when this problem arises a simple reboot of the Apple TV isn't sufficient, I have to physically unplug the power adaptor from the wall (it's worth leaving it unplugged for 30 seconds or so). When I plug it back in & reboot the Apple TV the movie that was previously saying it would take an hour to load, loads straight away as normal.

Apr 19, 2015 4:40 AM in response to Claude Crider

I have a different but related problem, Apple TV which has behaved impeccably for years has suddenly become a liability, I have a library of movies (around 60, plus TV series) which I watch on the big screen in the living room. Recently (past few weeks) movies have taken forever ro load and then suffered stuttering starts to the point where I have given up altogether, this is new and I am very upset as we use Apple TV as our main source of entertainment eschewing the local TV channels as not worth watching.

I date this from the recent upgrades to both Yosemite and iTunes and am convinced that something is seriously wrong I would like to hear of similar experiences and any thoughts on fixing this problem.

Jul 5, 2015 10:34 PM in response to vazandrew

That is what Navarro said, reading all the comments it is clear there is something that has changed to create the problems we are all encountering, I cannot believe how many times I have to reset with all kinds of messages regarding the network and other.

I persevere because when it works well it works well it has simply lost its consistency which is not good and I ask apple to do something about it.

Apple TV Slow to Load, Very Slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.