Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with muting external microphone

Hello,

I have recently switched to Mavericks along with a new MacBook Pro with Retina display and now I have a very irritating problem with my headset microphone. First, let me describe my setup:

Now, the important issue lies with the headset's microphone mute functionality which is implemented via the microphone broom (turn it up and the microphone completely disconnects). Now let me walk you through some scenarios with this setup:

• If I connect the adapter to the Mac with the microphone raised, Mac OS X will simply not see a microphone and continues to use the internal microphone. This is just the same as before and very much expected behavior.
  • If I connect the adapter with the microphone lowered, OS X recognizes the external microphone and uses it. Still, very much as expected.
  • However, if I now raise the microphone to mute it and lower it again, Mac OS X just does not get anymore input from the microphone at all yet it still recognizes that there is an external microphone and therefore does not switch back to the internal one. This situation can only be fixed by disconnecting and reconnecting the adapter with the microphone lowered.
    Back on Mountain Lion, the external microphone would just go back to working after being lowered.
  • Doing the same with an iPhone 4S on iOS 7 works as expected: the microphone works again when lowered.

How do I get the Mountain Lion functionality back where the external microphone would just start working again after being lowered?

Any help is greatly appreciated since this is becoming a major inconvenience for me.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 11:16 AM

6 replies

Mar 12, 2014 12:16 PM in response to Kamikaze28

After a call to AppleCare and some further experimentation, I have concluded that this behavior is indeed not a defect. Let me elaborate:

Firstly, the AppleCare representative I spoke to could not find any reference to this problem in their database but was quick enough to understand my problem. After the usual troubleshooting (reset PRAM, reset SMC, rename System preferences) I offered to install Mavericks on my old 17" MBP to determine wether this behavior was rooted in the new hardware or the new OS - it was the former.

Intrigued by this we endeavored to find out whether my machine was an exception (i. e. contained a hardware defect) or not. I went to a nearby Authorized Apple Service Provider / Reseller and tested my headset on every show-machine available. To my (and the present representative's) astonishment, almost every newer Mac exhibits the same behavior! Only the Mac Mini and a non-Retina MacBook Pro were able to use the microphone after unmuting. Even the $3,000 Mac Pro was unable to use the microphone after it was muted.

I therefore suspect that this error was introduced with a new audio chipset somewhere in the last couple of years. I very much hope that this can be fixed with an EFI/driver update but so far I haven't heard back from the AppleCare representative who contacted the developers about this.

Mar 15, 2014 7:00 AM in response to Mr. DiD

Finally someone else with the same issue! (On the one hand, I'm glad that you found this, on the other hand I'm sad that you are affected as well).

You can click the "I have the same problem"-button at the bottom of the opening post to signify your shared issue. I would also recommend you too call AppleCare and make your displeasure heard, assuming that you can call them for free.

Since this is now identified as a hardware / driver issue, I have opened another thread in the respective categoriy, which you can find here. Also, to bringt this to a broader audience in the hopes of finding fellow usesrs, I have linked the other thread on reddit.

Mar 19, 2014 10:05 AM in response to Kamikaze28

I've just spoken with AppleCare again and I have some news from the developers.

The problem is known and it indeed lies with a new line of audio-controllers that was integrated in recent revisions of different models. They are working on a patch but there is no estimation for when this will be available.

The AppleCare representative also urged me to recommend the feedback form to funnel customer opinions directly into the respective channels. The more people complain about such an issue the higher they prioritize it, I suppose.

Sep 1, 2015 11:48 AM in response to Kamikaze28

I live in Paris and I have the exact same problem, at the beginning I was thinking about a problem on the headset, but it's actually Apple who screwed up on the software, I hope there will be a patch soon, maybe with the new "El Captian" OSX, anyway I'm letting you know that we're a lot having this problem, and no-one found any solutions on internet at this day ...

If you have informations about how to solve this, please contact me :')

Problem with muting external microphone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.