Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues after iOS 7.1 update

The Location Service icon staying forever at the top of the screen after updates with iPhone 4s and 5s. I couldn't change it using setup.

Anyone can help me to solve this problem, please ??

Posted on Mar 10, 2014 7:14 PM

24 replies

Mar 11, 2014 6:12 AM in response to Reberson

Is the icon you are seeing fully shaded, or an outline. From the bottom of the location services screen:

- grey icon will appear next to an item that has used location services in the last 24 hours.

- an outline icon will appear next to a service that uses a geofence. Apps like Reminders use geofences to notify you when you aiirive or leave these locations

Mar 11, 2014 8:53 AM in response to Reberson

There are a few issues I'm seeing.

1. The Apple Store app is using your location if you have it set to do so, this is for checking into genius bar appointments and such. You can disable this app's location services if you want in the privacy settings as others have suggested.
  2. The main culprit for me seems to be the "Frequent Locations" feature of iOS. This is used to make Siri and system services smarter, and if enabled, to improve maps. I don't remember turning these on, though I might have, so I believe it is possible that either these never used to show the status bar icon for location services OR the default of them was changed from off to on with the 7.1 update. Either way, you can turn it off in the privacy settings (Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services > Frequent Locations).

I don't know why the Apple Store app keeps using my location, the app is closed and I have no upcoming appointments that they'd monitor my location for checking in. Seems odd, but clearing these up resolves my issues.

Mar 11, 2014 10:32 AM in response to Reberson

In my case I have narrowed it down to one particular app that continued to use my location services (and as a result depleted the battery a lot quicker than before the update): Mobile@Work (a vodafone app for secure mobile working environment). When i turned off location services for the particular app the location service icon disappeared (and returned immediately when I enabled the service again for the app).

I assume it is a 7.1 bug that is impacting several apps.

Issues after iOS 7.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.