Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black Screen But Can See My Cursor

So every time I boot up my computer I am getting a black screen but my cursor is responsive. I tried rebooting in recovery mode but could not reinstall my OS because of Apple being unable to "verify" my computer. My macbook is a 2010 but I was just as the Genius Bar over Christmas to have my computer checked out and they said everything is running great. Any ideas? Solutions?

I live 3 hours away from the closest apple store so anything anyone can recommend would be helpful.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Mar 11, 2014 6:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2014 4:05 AM

Thank You SO MUCH! Like almost everyone on here I was pulling my hair out on this until I tried the fix!! You are trully a lifesaver 🙂

166 replies

Jan 4, 2017 1:00 PM in response to Whambot

I had the same issue, but the following has resolved.

if you have enable auto-login, disable it using the safe mode described previously in the forum. restart.

1. On the blank screen type in the first 2 letters of the username.

2. hit tab

3. input password (of course you won't be seeing anything on this screen at this point, but follow same procedure as when you login).

4. Press enter.

you should be logged into your account. Now shutdown and restart, the blank screen should be gone. Atleast this is what fixed my issue.

-TL

Jan 8, 2017 5:48 AM in response to jperr92

This can happen with OS 10.12 update.

Reboot while holding down command-S until you see the console, white printing.

Get the root: prompt. Type the following:

cd /Volume/Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences

mv com.apple.loginwindow.plist com.apple.loginwindow.plist.old

reboot

Do not turn on automatic Login (System Preferences, Users & Groups, Login Options) otherwise it may happen again.

Mar 17, 2014 6:11 AM in response to jperr92

I had the same issue with my 2008 iMac and Apple support walked me through the fix yesterday...

1. Shut the computer down by holding the power button for 10 seconds

2. Restart the computer and press shift at the same time until you see the progress bar start moving

3. Once you reach the point where your screen goes dark and you see the cursor, type the first letter of the username for your computer, then hit Enter, then type your password, then hit Enter.

4. After a moment, you should see the spinning beach ball

5. Your screen should then move on to something along the lines of "Completing OSX Installation" (I can't remember the exact wording). Let it finish. After that it should go to your normal desktop and the issue should be fixed. (If your screen goes pitch black during this process, hit the space bar. I thought it wasn't working, but the screen was just sleeping).

Apparently it's an issue with an automatic update that never quite got past the login screen.

Hope this helps!

Jan 18, 2017 12:10 AM in response to jesseinma

Jesseinma THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I spent all morning resetting the PRAM etc and this worked on a '11 MBP with sierra updating itself in the night and then freezing.

For me after pushing shift on start up and after the progress bar I would get to login enter my password then get the spinning beach ball and then it would go all black with just notifications and cursor showing so I entered my password and push enter and the blackness actually slipped down to reveal my computer all in one piece!!!

Jan 27, 2017 12:22 PM in response to jhdiscenza

Unfortunately I cannot get past this black screen. It starts up I see the apple logo and progress bar. Then the black screen appears. Sometimes I see in the upper corner the banner that's says some apps could not be updated. It doesn't allow me to click on it. Then it goes away. Is my Mac fried? I have tried all the different options and nothing.

Jan 3, 2017 6:22 PM in response to jperr92

This seems to be an issue with how Apple is serving updates, or the updates were interrupted while attempting to install --> The update(s) hang, or get not installed, but/or the system is trying to install a non existing update.

To solve the issue (possibly) is as follows:

1. Reset the PRam 3 times --> Hold the Option + Command + P + R keys down, until you hear the boot-chime 3 times in a row --> let go after the 3rd time and immediately hold down the Command + S keys. --> This will get you into the Single User Mode.

If you missed the Single User Mode --> Force Shut-down the Mac (hold down the Power key until black) --> Reboot holding the Command + S key down.

2. Once in Single User Mode, type the following commands:

/sbin/fsck -fy (there is a space after the k)

/sbin/mount -uw / (There is a space after the t and a space after the w)

After the above is completed, type:

rm -f /Library/Preferences/com.apple.loginwindow.plist (there is a space after the m, after the f)

rm -f /var/db/.AppleUpgrade (there is a space after the m, after the f and a dot before the A)

After that, type reboot

This should solve the issue.

Black Screen But Can See My Cursor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.