Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery drain on iPhone 5s after iOS 7.1 OTA Update

I have updated my iPhone 5s to iOS 7.1, ever since I have been experiencing battery drain of about 1% every 10 mins. Is anyone else facing the same issue?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 12, 2014 7:13 AM

47 replies

Mar 12, 2014 7:18 AM in response to atchyut

A few people have seen this issue after every update to every version of iOS for almost 7 years. It has nothing to do with 7.1; it means that something went wrong during the update, probably an app that was interrupted in the middle of the update and is now "spinning its wheels" (i.e., stuck in a loop) trying to recover and failing. The sure fix is to Restore the phone using iTunes and set up as New and testing to see if the problem is resolved. It almost certainly will be. After doing that you can try restoring your backup, but if the problem comes back you have corrupt data in your backup.

Less invasive fixes include Settings/General/Reset - Reset Network Settings and

deleting and reinstalling any Push email accounts (MS Exchange, iCloud, gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) and deleting any data-hungry apps such as Facebook and reinstalling. If you want to try any of these reboot the phone after deleting and before reinstalling.

Mar 13, 2014 9:52 AM in response to atchyut

Thanks Lawrence, the problem seemed to be resolved. But, there is a new thing that i noticed today. I am one of the few prople use voice guided navigation in apple maps, i notticed today that the words were being chopped. Example if i needed to take exit onto I-10 south, I am hearing it say "take exit onto I-10 Sa"

Mar 13, 2014 1:09 PM in response to atchyut

Sorry, I can't help with Apple Maps because I use Google Maps. I haven't heard that problem before. A basic troubleshooting step is to close the Maps app. Launch the Maps app. Press the HOME button to exit. Double-press the HOME button again, and flick the screen image of Maps up. This will terminate the process, so the next time you launch it will start "clean".

Mar 14, 2014 12:30 AM in response to atchyut

Same here, both iPhone 5 and 5s (both 64GB versions) burn battery post the ota updates to iOS 7.1.

E.g. Unplug the iPhone 5s once it has been charged to 100%, and within an hour, with no use (screen off etc.) it will have burned 3 to 5%.

While previously I would have gotten a good days use fromthe phone, now with light use (on holiday) I have to charge again by 6pm.

The iPhone 5 gets little use (running spare), and on standby it wouldn't last more than 1.5 to 2 days running iOS 7.1, while previously it would be a round a week.

Mar 14, 2014 2:16 AM in response to Thomas Hayes

I am experiencing the same problem. I charge the phone to 100% and unplug it and go about my day, I do not use the phone it sits idle pretty much all day however I may check from time to time but the only thing I may get is a few texts to reply to but other then that it drops quicker now then it did before. I have all settings to use the least amount of power so it should not drain as much and as quick as it does now since the iOS 7.1 update before I did not see it this way. I have not changed any of my settings they been the same prior to 7.1 and I have not added any new apps as well. (ie: Wake up unplug with 100% at 9 am and with very little use sitting idle at with exception of a few texts come in and reply back to and at 9 pm just 12 hours later I check phone and I am down to 70%. Would this be a typical drain? With the use I track in a day and a half to two days I would need to charge again and before update I could go about nine days without needing to charge again. Let me know if this is normal or not. Though I too also made a post about this as well but it did not get replied to or anything anyhow this one did and I am thankful for that cause I see I am not the only one to experience this drain. ** Here is my post link, https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5992939, I hope this is allowed on here.

Mar 14, 2014 12:39 PM in response to atchyut

This may not be relevant but last week my battery drain went really high for no apparent reason, I can normally just about squeeze 2 days without a recharge if I don't over use my phone, but last week i sumtimes cudn't get 1 day without needing a top up, it lasted about 5 days then stopped just before i upgraded.

Then I upgraded & now i'm half way thru my second day without a charge & have 60% left which is better than I have ever had it.

I've always assumed that iPhones every now & then go thru intensive housekeeping that drains the battery a lot over a few days because this has happened to me before & I tend to stick pretty much to running the same apps regularly.

Battery drain on iPhone 5s after iOS 7.1 OTA Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.