Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Work-around for ScanSnap wireless connection issue

I have a MacBook Pro, running OSX 10.9.2, and last week I purchased a ScanSnap iX500, which is a great document scanner.

However, I prefer that it connect by wireless, and not USB. I set it up wirelessly and it worked fine, but when I shut everything down and booted up the next day, the MacBook did not see the ScanSnap.

I called tech support and they got it reconnected, but the next day the same thing happened.

I learned that if you right-click on the ScanSnap Manager icon in the taskbar, select Connect By Wi-Fi, then uncheck and then recheck "Connect automatically to the last connected ScanSnap by Wi-Fi" it is the quickest solution to reconnecting.

It would be nice if it would do this on its own, but to this day it will not.

My Macbook Pro is set up as a desktop replacement here in my office, so I take it home every night, and come into my office the next day and reconnect to my monitor, keyboard, etc., and I where I have the ScanSnap placed is not condusive to using the USB cable.

Hope this helps if you are also having a connection issue with the ScanSnap iX500 connecting wirelessly to a Macbook Pro.

Thank you,

Dan of Troy

(No relation to Helen)

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 6:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2014 3:44 PM

This totally solved my problem also. I agree it should be automatic.

27 replies

May 31, 2014 4:14 PM in response to troyrecreation

Richard and to all,

Since this post I have learned to leave the Scansnap on 24 hours a day with the tray open so the blue light is on and when I come in the next morning and connect my MacBook Pro, the MacBook sees the Scansnap automatically.

I have not tried cutting the Scansnap on first and then The Macbook, but that also may work.

Aug 28, 2014 7:38 PM in response to troyrecreation

I'm trying to configure my MacBook pro to work wirelessly with the Scansnap ix500 scanner (os10.9.4). I right-clicked on the Scansnap manager, as recommended above, but there is no "Connect by Wi-Fi" to choose, as the answer would indicate. I find it hard to believe that a scanner of this quality with wireless capability for ios mobile device couldn't also connect to a MacBook Pro wirelessly. The Scansnap is not in a convenient place to connect via USB. Any help to connect this MacBook Pro wirelessly to the Scansnap would be appreciated!

Oct 5, 2014 5:24 AM in response to Eltonron

If the "Connect by Wi-Fi" option isn't available you should check to make sure:

1) the wi-fi light on the ix500 is lit a blue color, and not orange. If orange, it is not connected to your wi-fi router. Run the ScanSnap Network Setup Tool utility.

2) make sure you are connecting to the same wi-fi router (network) with your MBP as your ix500 is connected.

If the above are true, and both your MBP and ix500 are truly connected on the same wi-fi network, and it still doesn't work, and your drivers are successfully installed on your MBP. You always want to make sure you have the latest drivers for ScanSnap as well as the latest Firmware installed for the ix500. These are downloaded as ScanSnap.

Finally, if you continue to experience difficulty, I highly recommend contacting ScanSnap support, or visit their community forums. They offer excellent customer service as well, and a lot of their troubleshooting steps are listed on their support page.

An additional resource to reference on updating and wi-fi setup, a relatively easy article to follow is:

http://www.documentsnap.com/scansnap-ix500-wireless-scanning-computer/

Nov 2, 2014 9:54 AM in response to Timothy Simmons

I had the same problem--brand new ScanSnap iX500, MBP, OS X Mavericks--and was not able to set up wireless scanning, because "Connect by Wi-Fi" was never available. That is, not available until I installed the latest drivers. See here: http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/IMAGE/driver/ss/mgr/m-v63l23/MacScanSnapV63L23U pWW.dmg for MacScanSnapV63L23UpWW.dmg.

Good luck and enjoy scanning.

Nov 20, 2014 1:21 PM in response to troyrecreation

I also had this issue while connecting my new IX500 this week. I thought I had updated all of the software, since it searched for updates and had installed updates twice (not all under one update). So I assumed the update was applied. I had to check for updates again, making it the 3rd (or possibly 4th) download it made. Once I installed the latest, the wireless connection was successful and I could scan right away.

Mar 16, 2015 9:32 PM in response to littleeddie133

I was having difficulties getting this to work with my 2013 Airport Extreme (6th Gen ?) I also contacted support, but they only suggested things that didn't seem to make sense, such as setting up static IP's and port mapping.

I then discovered, if I connected scanner and computer to the Airport Guest network, it would work. If I went back to the regular (non-guest) network it would have a blue light, be given an IP but you could not ping, or connect to it. I turned off my guest network option, and now it works fine on the main network.

Seems to be a problem with the iX500 (awesome scanner and OCR software b.t.w) and an Airport Extreme that has a guest network setup.

I don't have any guests right now, so I'm turning that Airport feature off and letting Fujitsu know - they have been helpful, don't know if this is Apple or Fujitsu, I have not had any other devices have reachability issues with Guest network enabled, although my other non-computer devices are wired to the Airport Extreme (ethernet and USB)

Mar 20, 2015 11:28 AM in response to troyrecreation

If none of the above steps are working, do this:

Quit ScanSnap Manager

System Preferences

• Users and Groups
  • Login Items
  • Delete ScanSnap Manager and any associated programs (e.g., Scan to Mobile)

In Desktop, go to “GO” in menu bar and “Go to Folder"

Type:

• /private/var/db/receipts
  • Delete anything containing following text:
  • jp.co.pfu...

Empty the trash

Restart the computer

Go to http://www.fujitsu.com/global/support/computing/peripheral/scanners/software/ix5 00.html

• Download and install the latest ScanSnap software for Mac under “Setup Programs” tab
  • Then go to the “Update” tab and download Scansnap Manager (Under Software for Mac) for Mac Step 1, then Step 2.
  • Then download ScanSnap Online Update for Mac.

Keep USB cable plugged in for a few minutes to see if the Online Update recognizes a firmware update for the scanner. If so, install the update.

Configure Wireless Setup for the scanner and mobile.

Log out of the mobile app on your phone(s) (IMPORTANT).

Unplug the USB Cable

After everything has installed and updated, right click on the ScanSnap Manager icon on the dock and select Connect by WiFi. You should see your Scanner now. Enter the password.

This is the password you set using the ScanSnap Wireless Setup Tool. To view or change your password, go to the Wireless Setup Tool, then Extended tab, then ScanSnap Setting.

If you still dont see your scanner (and you already configured it for wireless AND logged out of the mobile AND updated all of the software AND used the correct ScanSnap password well then...youre screwed.)

Hope this helped,

Nick.

Jun 12, 2015 7:29 AM in response to littleeddie133

I was having the same issues described above. When I installed the software from Fujitsu, I downloaded the latest available from their website and had trouble connecting via WiFi. Despite downloading the latest versions from the website, once I installed the Scansnap Online Update tool, it downloaded new Scansnap Manager software that quickly solved the issue.

Work-around for ScanSnap wireless connection issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.