Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dolby Digital Drops Out on Apple TV

I'm having a particuarly frustrating problem with my Apple TV (3rd generation). I currently have it connected to a 40 inch Samsung television (UN40F6300AFXZA) via HDMI. When trying to play content (via iTunes or Netflix) that is 5.1 enabled, with the Dolby Digital setting turned on, the content will play with sound for a few minutes and then go completely silent. This just started happening recently and did not happen before when using Dolby Digital. However, if I turn the Dolby Digital setting off the audio will play, but it makes optical passthrough to my audio receiver impossible for 5.1 sound. Lastly, I have tried connecting the Apple TV directly to the audio receiver with Dolby Digital turned on and it will play the audio without any problem, however this is not a preferable solution for my situation. Is there any way for me to figure out why this is happening, and has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thank you!

Apple TV

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 8:53 AM

7 replies

Mar 18, 2014 9:45 PM in response to rclowery624

Same problem here too. Movie will go silent after about 10 minutes and my receiver will show decoder off (no more signal). But when I back out, navigation sounds from Apple TV work ok. I almost suspect this is a problem with the samsung tv as I have a similar model. Either Apple TV is having a problem sending out the DD signal or the samsung tv is having a problem relaying the DD signal back to the receiver. In any case, someone confirming this would be helpful.

Mar 19, 2014 7:01 PM in response to ad5901

Hmm so here's an update for today,...

Netflix movies that are DD are only playing in Pro-Logic, as indicated by my receiver. Non-Netflix DD stuff still shows DD, so I know it's not my receiver having problems recognising the signal.

At first, I was thinking it might be my HDMI cable, but today's experiment doesn't seem to point in that direction. I will switch out the cable to be sure and update back here.

Mar 19, 2014 8:52 PM in response to ad5901

Can anyone else confirm this...

I connected my Apple TV 3 directly to my receiver and tried playing a DD movie through Netflix. My receiver shows Pro-Logic. However a DD movie bought through iTunes shows as DD on my receiver.

If others confirm this, it looks like the problem might actually be a Netflix issue.

I do also want to note that Fox tv is showing up DD on my receiver, so in reference to the issue of this thread, the TV has no problem transmitting DD out to the receiver.

Mar 20, 2014 2:59 AM in response to er1c15

Confirm this is happening to me. ATV3 connected direct to receiver and have similar problem that Netflix DD content receiver shows Pro-Logic. Other 5.1 content on ATV plays fine. Played with settings for couple of hours last night with no success so also believe this May be a Netflix issue.

Will update if I get working again!

Dolby Digital Drops Out on Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.