Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone > Mac Laptop won't sync after update: "Trust this computer" message on repeat?

Looks like many PC users have a fix for this problem but I haven't seen anything specific for the Mac.

Last night, I installed the latest upgrade 7.1 my iPhone 5. When I connect to my main laptop (Mac Book Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo processor and running on OSX 10.9.2), I'm asked if I want "Trust This Computer?". I select TRUST, wait about 30 seconds and it asks again. I'm stuck in a loop.

I'm using the offical iPhone cable, rebooted my phone and my laptop, reset my iPhone settings, reinstalled iTunes on the laptop and still no success.

As a test, I pulled out my second laptop, which I travel with, and it trusted that device so I guess the issue is a laptop issue.

Any suggestions?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 13, 2014 5:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2014 10:59 PM

Hey Patukka,

I've got the same problem on my iPhone 5s trying to sync to my 2011 Macbook air. It only happened after I updated iOS to 7.1. I spent about an hour and half on the phone with Apple support today. They sent the problem to the engineers b/c the lead tech support (on both OS and iOS staff) couldn't figure it out. They downloaded a bunch of system info and were going to go through it. I'll let you know what I hear back, if they fix it.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2014 10:59 PM in response to Patukka

Hey Patukka,

I've got the same problem on my iPhone 5s trying to sync to my 2011 Macbook air. It only happened after I updated iOS to 7.1. I spent about an hour and half on the phone with Apple support today. They sent the problem to the engineers b/c the lead tech support (on both OS and iOS staff) couldn't figure it out. They downloaded a bunch of system info and were going to go through it. I'll let you know what I hear back, if they fix it.

Mar 18, 2014 2:09 PM in response to plant_geek

Sounded promising.

I got to my lockdown folder but found that most of the files there are locked.

I deleted the few that were unlocked but that did not resolve the issue when I plugged in my iPhone. Same story.

Next, I did some quick research on how to unlock 'locked files' and 'plist files.' Tried following the advice I researched using terminal, start up in single user mode and start up in verbose mode. None of the attempts would allow me to unlock the files. Apparently they are off limits.

Hope you have better luck. Let me know what happens for you, planet_geek.

Mar 20, 2014 7:32 PM in response to Patukka

Just got it to work!!! If you are unable to delete the lockdown files this might work for you too if you have Mac! A word to the wise though, if you're not comfortable using the command terminal, you may just want to call an Apple rep instead. Here's what the rep had me do:

1) open terminal on your Mac

2) cut and past this command in quotes exactly as it is "sudo chflags -R nouchg /var/db/lockdown"

3) enter your password to verfiy (there is a warning message). Note that you won't see any letters appear when you enter your password. Just hit enter once you've typed it.

3) now go back and follow the directions on the lockdown page:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5335?viewlocale=en_US

4) once the plist files are in the trash restart your computer and try connecting your phone.

5) let us know if it works for you!

Mar 21, 2014 6:10 PM in response to plant_geek

Thanks for being tenacious, Planet Geek and congrats on your success!

I tried a similiar solution previously but armed with the exact command you offered, I boldly tried again. Unfortunately, it still didn't unlock the files for me.

Those stubborn plist files seem to be permanently locked on my computer. I still get a 'locked file' error when I try to trash them. When I open 'Get Info' on the files, it shows the 'lock box' checked and greyed out (even when I manually unlock the golden lock at the bottom of the info panel.

Mar 24, 2014 12:23 PM in response to plant_geek

I stand corrected! This solution worked!! <insert happy dance>

A lightbulb went off in my head when I was no longer thinking about this and I wondered if the Terminal application in Macintosh HD was the same as opening the Terminal application in my user profile. It turns out that was where to find the solution to unlocking the plist files. I wasn't able to unlock the files using the Macintosh HD application but was able to using the user profile application.

Once those files were gone, success with the phone and the laptop trusting each other!

Case closed. I appreciate everyone's help here!

Mar 28, 2014 10:32 PM in response to Patukka

I encountered this exact issue with when I upgraded my iphone 5s to 7.1.

Also running my Macbook Pro, Inte i7 on OSX 10.9.2 and got stuck on th the "Trust This Computer Loop." Even after reseting all setting on my iphone. Finally found this thread, but when I tried to go into Terminal, I actually found that I could not do anything in Terminal either.

I kept on receiving an error ending in *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug.

Grey bar, cursor just after (Process Complete) line. Even after closing every application and restarting my Macbook.

But running the "Repair Permissions" in Disk Utility and "Verifying Disk Permissions" and then restarted my Macbook, no only was Terminal Repaired but my Macbook recognized my iphone 5s and the :trust This Computer Loop" was broken.

iPhone > Mac Laptop won't sync after update: "Trust this computer" message on repeat?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.