Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraded to 7.1 and youtube will no longer expand to full screen on IPad

When watching youtube videos in Safari, I click on the expand box, all of the other video thumbnails disappear but the viewing frame never expands. (Everything was fine until I loaded ios 7.1.)

Anyone else experiencing this?

iPad, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 17, 2014 9:02 PM

22 replies

Mar 18, 2014 12:14 AM in response to bobseufert

The weird thing is. It seemed to work before I upgraded. The screen (apart from the video and safari URL bar) would nicely black out and I would be able to engage full screen when I tap the thumbnail. Right now everything merely whites out with the video not filling out and expanding.

Nonetheless appreciate your reply Bob, the youtube app shall be a fix for now.

Mar 18, 2014 4:04 AM in response to TheWalkman

It's got nothing to do with 7.1. I am still on 7.0.6 on my iPad Air and I encountered this problem for the first time this morning while watching a YouTube video through the Tweetbot app. YouTube video's still played full screen yesterday.

I suspect it's Google that made this change on Mobile YouTube to force people to use the YouTube app. maybe they cannot collect as much data on you if you are using a browser. If you use the app there is no telling what data they can collect. Maybe the ad block function in some browsers also frustrated them.

Mar 18, 2014 5:11 AM in response to jamieryan157

Youtube (Google) could be the culprit: I noticed the Youtube "detail tab" on the top left has changed as well.

Sure, SBerman, I could download the Youtube app but frankly, I find it irritating to need to do this. Not only does my device get completely cluttered with too many apps, I, like Jamieryan157, am suspect of Google's motives and what I don't know.

As I was taught years ago, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Apparently that is no longer part of a Computer Science Curriculum.

As a consumer, I'm fed up with all these jokers forcing their little apps down our throats and we need to push back: unless there is unique functionality and features provided by a dedicated app framework, either work in a browser or I'll find another product to meet my needs! (Uuuurrrrgh!)

Mar 18, 2014 12:52 PM in response to TheWalkman

You need to tell google. YouTube is their website and app. If you still want full screen on the website go to settings> general> accessibility> turn on zoom. When the video starts double tap the screen with three fingers. The YouTube website has been broke over a year. The quality of the videos is horrible, plus many embedded links in other websites don't play at all.

Mar 18, 2014 12:58 PM in response to TheWalkman

I am having the exact same problem that occurred after updating my system.. While on Safari and using YouTube, I cannot expand the video. All the other ad/videos on the page disappear, however, the video does not expand. I called Apple Support which was a compete waste of time. They told me to download the YouTube app, which I don't like as much as using it on Safari. The question is: when is Apple going to create a fix for this problem.

Upgraded to 7.1 and youtube will no longer expand to full screen on IPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.