Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I export contacts to .csv format from my Mac?

I am trying to export my contacts in .csv and open in another program. but contacts only allows you to export a Vcard or an .ABBU file

Doug

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 5:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2014 4:09 PM

The workaround I use goes like this:

Export from Mac Contacts as Vcard.

Import Vcard into Gmail Contacts.

Export from Gmail as .csv which will open with Numbers of NeoOffice.

30 replies

Feb 18, 2017 8:23 PM in response to Doug D.

Doug,

I just aquired and Iphone 6s and needed to import my contacts from a Windows C900 phone (10 years old).

1. I exported my contacts from the phone as a CSV file using the Windows online system.

2. I then created a Gmail account and imported the CSV into the contacts.

3. This enabled me to export them as a VSF file.

4. I imported the VSF file into the Icloud.

5. On the IPhone I logged into the Icloud and presto contacts imported to IPhone 6s.

Mar 18, 2014 7:52 AM in response to Doug D.

Hi Doug,

contacts only allows you to export a Vcard or an .ABBU file

Actually, it's easy to get information in .csv format out of Contacts. Instead of using File > Export, you can do this.

If you have Numbers 2.3:

Select multiple contacts in Contacts (you can drag all contacts into a new group and select them all from that group) and drag them to the Numbers 2.3 canvas. Then File > Export > CSV...

If you have Numbers 3:

Select multiple contacts in Contacts, command-c to copy, click once in a cell of an existing table, and command-v to paste. Then in Numbers 3 File > Export to > CSV...

Note that the above is for the comma-separated flavor of CSV (character-separated-values). If you want tab-separated, instead of File > Export to > CSV from Numbers, simply select the cells with the data, command-c to copy, and in an open document in a text editor, command-v to paste. Then save with the desired file suffix.

There are also AppleScript solutions that extract directly from Contacts to a .csv file. But going through Numbers (because you posted to this forum I assume you already have it) is probably the easiest.

SG

Dec 16, 2014 5:48 PM in response to Doug D.

select the contacts you want (in the application Contacts), then copy

switch to Number, paste

If this does not work you may need to allow Numbers to access the contact information by opening System Preference > Privacy & Security

now click the "Privacy" segment then select "Contacts" on the left. Now click the "+" to add Numbers as an application allowed to access contact information

repeat the previous steps

now export using the menu item "File > Export To > CSV..."

Jan 6, 2015 10:37 AM in response to Wayne Contello

If you have access to a PC then

download & install the iCloud Control Panel for Windows from Apple’s Website

iCloud for Windows

and it will sync outlook to all your icloud / iphone contacts

Then you can export from outlook

see both these

http://davidvielmetter.com/tricks/importing-icloud-contacts-to-outlook/

http://www.wikihow.com/Export-Contacts-from-Outlook

Jan 21, 2015 8:39 AM in response to SGIII

I was excited to discover that you can drag and drop directly from the Contacts app into Numbers! Less excited to see how buggy it is in practice. I'm on Yosemite 10.10.1 and using Numbers 3.5. If a contact doesn't have an image, each field appears in the wrong column—basically everything is offset one column to the left of where it should be. So it gets particularly messy if some of your contacts have an image and some don't.

Jan 21, 2015 9:00 AM in response to SGIII

If the first contact has an image then I think the headers and data line up ok.

Nope, doesn't make any difference for me whether the first contact has an image or not. The bug still affects all subsequent contacts without an image.

To report the bug, in your menu go Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback.

Done. Not sure if the bug lies with the Contacts app (OS X 10.10.1) or Numbers (3.5.2), so I've submitted via both feedback forms.

How do I export contacts to .csv format from my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.