Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen goes black when in iMessage/Text when covering camera

Anyone experience this same problem. Since taking the latest iOS update, when I am in an iMessage or Text message, with the whole convo showing on the screen. If my finger covers or blocks the camera on the screen (not the back camera with flash), my screen goes black. As soon as I remove my finger it stays black. If I keep it there for 10 seconds it stays black. I cannot seem to find this problem anywhere else.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 18, 2014 12:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 27, 2017 4:31 PM

My 6 is doing this too. Just started today. It's a new phone, just got it as a replacement this week. It's running the latest OS. Screen goes black anytime my hand is near the sensor that must be near the front camera and speaker at the top of the phone. There's no option to turn off "raise to wake" that was recommended above.

Any solutions?

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 27, 2017 4:31 PM in response to Bushb1980

My 6 is doing this too. Just started today. It's a new phone, just got it as a replacement this week. It's running the latest OS. Screen goes black anytime my hand is near the sensor that must be near the front camera and speaker at the top of the phone. There's no option to turn off "raise to wake" that was recommended above.

Any solutions?

Mar 21, 2014 9:16 AM in response to hagansp

Interesting. It seems that the proximity sensor (located in the general area of the front camera) is active during iMessaging. It's behaving like you're on an active phone call and turning off the screen in case of accidental contact with your cheek. I don't know what the behaviour was before but it seems like a glitch.

May 29, 2014 7:06 AM in response to hagansp

I just want to chime in that I'm having this issue now, too. This didn't start happening UNTIL I upgraded to 7.1.1. Additionally, the reset all settings fix resolved this temporarily, but a few days later it started happening again. It's actually more annoying than I thought it would be, because I guess how I naturally hold my phone covers it up just enough to flicker on and off while I'm texting. Sure I could adjust, but obviously this shouldn't be happening.

Screen goes black when in iMessage/Text when covering camera

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.