Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iTunes insist on destroying my data?

I just purchased some audio books and am trying to download them to my iphone.

Now iTunes is threatening to wipe out everything on my iphone if I sync the audio books.

iTunes says:

"The iPhone "Sean's iPhone" is synced with another iTunes library on "SEAN-PC". Do you want to erase this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library? An iPhone can be synced with only one iTunes library at a time. Erasing and syncing replaces the contents of this iPhone with the contents of this iTunes library."

Whats up with that?

Why is iTunes holding my data hostage? How is that even remotely reaonable? It is my data, not apples data. It seems it should be a criminal act for apple to erase my data without my consent. For perspective, would it be reasonable for me to demand that apple erased its servers any time I purchaced something from iTunes? Now I am forced to choose between losing the money I spent for the audio books, or losing my data that apple has no right to take. That is coersion. Is apple really this unethical? This is beyond unethical, it is insanity. What could they possibly have to gain by destroying my data? I seriously don't get it.

iPhone 4, iOS 7.0.1

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 2:05 AM

8 replies

Mar 19, 2014 6:51 AM in response to sean shubin

Uh, okay, after I filter out the persecution stuff, it seems you tried to sync your phone with a different library from the one to which it had been previously synced, or at least the phone thinks so. Is that the case (should be a simple, short yes/no answer)?

By the way it isn't Apple's data but neither is it yours, you just bought a license to enjoy the media, you didn't buy ownership.

Yes, it is as it says, an iPhone can only be synced with one iTunes library at a time. If you plug the phone into a different computer it will offer to completely re-sync the phone with that library (unless you copy your original library to that computer). You can try managing it with multiple computers but keeping everything up to date may be complicated.

Using iPhone, iPad, or iPod with multiple computers: Managing content manually on iPhone, iPad, and iPod - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1202 - You can manage your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with multiple computers as long as you have set the device to "Manually manage music." - E.g., adding music from a second computer to an i-device. Additional information about switching sync mode - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4435531 and manually adding in iTunes 11 https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4597408

Mar 19, 2014 8:35 AM in response to sean shubin

sean shubin wrote:

It seems it should be a criminal act for apple to erase my data without my consent.

How is anything being erased "without your consent"?

Didn't iTunes ask you specifically, "Do you want to erase this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library?"

???

You really don't provide any information (except that your tin foil hat needs to be serviced).

As Limnos asked, do you have your iPhone sync'd with a different iTunes library/computer?

iTunes specifically told you, ""The iPhone "Sean's iPhone" is synced with another iTunes library on "SEAN-PC". Do you want to erase this iPhone and sync with this iTunes library? An iPhone can be synced with only one iTunes library at a time."

Mar 19, 2014 9:35 PM in response to Chris CA

How is anything being erased "without your consent"?

By coersion. If I want to be able to listen to the audio books I bought, I must agree to let apple destroy everything I and previously downloaded to my iphone, including all of my podcasts. That is relevant information that would have affected my decision to buy the audio books in the first place.

Jun 14, 2014 12:38 PM in response to pdx mac user

2) erase the Itunes library and sync with the Iphone as master

But, Apple just gives us #1. Why is that?

We don't know the official reason why, but one possible scenario: people would make a bunch of blank libraries, invite all the friends around and have them sync their devices to a library, then merge it all together in a single library, thereby pirating a bunch of media. The media companies would be very unhappy and no longer allow Apple to sell media on the iTunes Store.

Jun 14, 2014 1:00 PM in response to pdx mac user

Apple never posts to these forums other than the ones you see basically just posting links to help articles. This is a user to user forum

Apple has posted a solution against losing your library: ... "always back up your iTunes library" (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2519). If you don't have a backup then whose fault is that? Actually if you have lost media purchased from the iTunes Store there is a good possibility you can download it again. That's more than you'll get if you lose a CD you purchased in a store.

Why does iTunes insist on destroying my data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.