Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Minor developing for app store

I am a minor (14) in the US and I am looking to enroll in the iOS developer program. I know that I have to register as an individual and that I have to get my parents to put in all the infomation for tax purposes and the contracts, however, in iTunes Connect documentation it referenced a developer name when submitting an app. When I register my parents name would be listed as the seller (I know that much) but would I be able to put my own name as the referenced developer name or would it have to be the same as what is on the credit card/ seller name?

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 12:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2014 6:27 AM

Everything must be in your parent's name. As far as Apple is concerned, you don't exist except as "unnamed minor" who is allowed to share that particular Apple ID account.

I suggest creating a new Apple ID for your development activities. That will keep all of the details separate from your parent's other Apple ID and iTunes information.

Also, while everything does have to be in your parent's name, you can designate an "Artist name" in iTunes to be your own name or a company name. That is how people who have sole proprietorships have a company name while using an individual developer account. That is how my account is setup. In the Mac App Store, under my app names it says "Etresoft Canada" but if you read the fine print further down you can see my real name. You could do something similar with either your own name or a company name and your parent's name would be in the fine print.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 23, 2014 6:27 AM in response to objective_c_1999

Everything must be in your parent's name. As far as Apple is concerned, you don't exist except as "unnamed minor" who is allowed to share that particular Apple ID account.

I suggest creating a new Apple ID for your development activities. That will keep all of the details separate from your parent's other Apple ID and iTunes information.

Also, while everything does have to be in your parent's name, you can designate an "Artist name" in iTunes to be your own name or a company name. That is how people who have sole proprietorships have a company name while using an individual developer account. That is how my account is setup. In the Mac App Store, under my app names it says "Etresoft Canada" but if you read the fine print further down you can see my real name. You could do something similar with either your own name or a company name and your parent's name would be in the fine print.

Mar 23, 2014 10:07 AM in response to objective_c_1999

objective_c_1999 wrote:

is the place where you designate the company/ artist name out of the way or will I see it easily when setting up my account?

That is a good question and I may be wrong about it entirely. According to this Apple Documentation, you set it up the first time you add an app and that is your only chance to do so.

But that same documentation also contradicts what I told you. It says that you must have a company account to set a company name that is different than your legal entity name. If you have an individual account, then they will both be your seller name - your parent's name, in your case. Perhaps this is a recent change, because I definitely have an individual developer account and I definitely have a different company name. Sometimes Apple changes policies and existing accounts get grandfathered in. My first account was a business account back when you could create those as a sole proprietorship. It was "Etresoft" but in the US. I couldn't reuse the name in Canada so I used "Etresoft Canada". Unfortnately, that may no longer be possible.

Mar 31, 2014 3:51 PM in response to objective_c_1999

I already finished my app and ready to submit. I also did it through my dad's name since I don't what to get in trouble or something in the future that might arise. I looked up and saw that there can be app transfers, so my app will be under my dad and in two years (when I turn 18) I will "buy it from him" and have it in my own account, even though it was mine all the time.

Minor developing for app store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.