Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 5 keeps displaying the message "This accessory may not be supported" whenever I charge my phone. Then it stops charging after a couple of minutes, any idea on how to fix it?

.My iPhone 5 keeps displaying the message "This accessory may not be supported" whenever I charge my phone. Then it stops charging after a couple of minutes, any idea on how to fix it?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 24, 2014 4:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 25, 2014 1:15 AM

What brand is this charger?

Is it a wall charger, a car charger or a chord from your laptop?

Be more specific please 🙂

22 replies

May 3, 2014 4:21 PM in response to ruby.johnson

I have the same issue when trying to use my car charger. Charger and cable bought in apple store! I bought a new cable and it worked for a few days until I got the message again. Very frustrating! Both cables work fine when charging via MacBook or (original) wall outlet ! As of now I can't use my iphone in my car anymore although it worked for a year without problem. Anybody...?

May 11, 2014 3:43 AM in response to JasonMill

Two days ago, after a long period of troubles with my "older" iphone 5 and Apple avoiding all the time to give me a new one under warranty, I finally got a new one. And when I tought that everything was finally resolved and working fine with this new one at that night when my iPhone got 90 to... 95% of battery because they gave it to me totally empty (very odd situation) I got this message.

"This accessory may not be supported"

I unplugged the charger, plugged again, 5 seconds later, same message again. I tought immediately that my charger was broken (btw, it's the official one) but my experience tells me to make a full restore of my Phone without restoring any backup, so I did.

And after that, same message appears again. So, I tried a new restore, this time in DFU mode connected to a Macbook Pro using iTunes and after a long period of restoring, boom... same problem again. So it could be only a hardware problem so I managed I way to test another charger that was working fine on another device and... guess what..? SAME MESSAGE AGAIN: "This accessory may not be supported"

Both of them are the official apple chargers and cables!!"

And I can only replicate this problem when the phone have 90% of battery or above. Bellow that, he charges like it doesn't have any problem at all.

Seriously, im so tired of the iPhone 5 Problems (because like I said previously, I had a lot of problems with my previous one) that the only thing that I want now it's my money back. 2...3 months dealing with all kind of problems, a phone that shutsdown with 30% of battery.... Compass not working (a confirmed hardware problem).... hands free microphone (and SIRI) that its placed in the same place of the speaker, not working... Limited compatibility 4G... seriously, I love Apple and Im an Apple user for a longe time but this is by far my worst experience with an Apple Device. Now make sense on why Apple discontinued the iPhone 5.

Jun 4, 2014 6:32 AM in response to invicbacoi

I got my iPhone replaced. In my case it was an hardware problem.

What I did first:

* Full restore without using old backups? Didn't work for me.

* Restore in DFU mode using iTunes? Didn't work for me.

So conclusion, hardware problem.

a) Your lightning cable might be broken, so test other first and/or test that cable in another device.

b) Your iPhone (dock connector) may have a problem...

Jun 11, 2014 7:04 PM in response to keenast

YES same here, in that my charger displaying this error message (accessory may not be supported) actually came WITH my brand-new Apple phone - not a reconditioned one - a new phone and this cord came with it. It's definitely an authentic, authorized accessory, and I used it for 10 months with no problems. This is a recent error message, and occurs when I plug the cable into a wall socket. When I plug it into my Macbook Pro (Maverick), I get the mesage that the phone is not connected to Itues. . When I charge the phone with another cord, however, or with my car charger, NO problems at all. It's just the shorter lightning cable that came with the phone, that causes the problem. For me, the problem started IMMEDIATELY after my latest IOS update, 7.1.1. : )

Message was edited by: BlondAlto

Message was edited by: BlondAlto

Jun 22, 2014 10:55 PM in response to JasonMill

Same issues here with iPhone 5S, OEM cable, both types of adapters, dock and other 3rd party cables. Only charges when in the wall. The family is now getting all new phones, employees also. No they won't be iPhones.

Jul 10, 2014 2:44 AM in response to JasonMill

***iphone 5 - “This accessory may not be supported-Fault“.***

When plugged into itunes, with genuine apple cord.

Have the same freezing problem occasionally, on iPhone 5.

Fault intermittent, but becoming more frequent. (Definitely NOT the Cord Fault).

If I use the third party “Checking App“ called “Sys Activity“(SA)‘s

Simple, like it, has a bell to advise when battery full.

(Does, extra things, like tidying Memory.)

If I start the SA app.

Each time, Phone states “Not connected“

Pull out cord, re-insert, starts re-charging every time.

We are aware, Apple Battery’s are not good, too small, and the cords are over expensive.

Apple Cord’s are used so very frequently, and so very easily damaged,

If any sense, Apple should/ must - improve, and reinforce their cord design.

(Now on fourth, and I’m gentle, because I’m mean, and poor).

Jul 10, 2014 7:45 AM in response to JasonMill

I am at the brink of "jumping ship" on all Apple products. We currently have 2 - iPhone 5's, iPad Air & iPad Mini. Other than the latest release of the iPhone, we have always had the "latest and greatest" iPhone models & needless to say, a lot of $$$ invested in both hardware & apps.

Well no more.

I am sick and tired of Apple's business model which is to gouge the consumer as much as possible, restrict the consumer as much as possible (and gouge again) and essentially continue to treat us with the "Steve Jobs" persona of "I'm/We're better than you, and know what's best for you". If I have something that has always worked with an Apple product, in this case an iHome clock radio with an Apple lightning to 30-pin adapter or my Apple lightning USB charging cord in my Ford F-350 truck w/USB ports, and they all suddenly start giving my the BS ""This accessory may not be supported" (Yes, I've cleaned, cursed and done everything else suggested on internet forum posts), then it's the last straw and it's time to say "sayonara" (goodbye) to Apple.

The wife is going to kill me as she loves her apps, but I'm tired of being so **** restricted by Apple. I'm looking forward to something that will allow me to expand memory and buy accessories without the "official" logo/approval of the original manufacturer!

Uh, Honey? Can we talk about something........?

Jul 10, 2014 2:55 PM in response to )_AB_(__

Well hopefully my correction will help someone: I apologize if I added to

any confusion; it was with 100% sincerity! I originally posted a simillar

post, and I need to correct something. In all sincerity, I said that my

lightning cable was an Apple one. That's because verizon gave it to us with

our brand-new, "high-end" iPhone. Since it was handed to us WITH the

brand-new phone that was still in its box, my husband and I assumed it was

from Apple. We were WRONG. I think that people who sell iPhone accessories

should have to disclose when they are NOT Apple accessories, or

Apple-approved.

The rest of our own story is that we went to an Apple store, bought an

APPLE lightning cable a few weeks ago, and have had no problems. We will

never go back to Androids, having been burned six times by those. Apple is

definitely the best. BUT I do think (1) Apple, known as a

consumer-responsive company, should let iPhone users know about this

change. Our cord had worked for 10 months with no problems, until we got

7.1.1. Apple should be educating us about these things. (2) Stores who sell

iPhone accessories should be required to disclose when they are not

Apple-supported, especially now that they won't work otherwise. I guess

until someone does something about this, it's up to us to get the word out

to family and friends. Hope my experience will benefit someone.

If you can't feed a hundred people, then just feed one.

Mother Teresa

On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 5:56 AM, Apple Support Communities Updates <

Jul 10, 2014 2:59 PM in response to JasonMill

Well hopefully my correction will help someone: I apologize if I added to any confusion; it was with 100% sincerity! I originally posted a simillar message, and I need to correct something. In all sincerity, I said that my lightning cable was an Apple one. That's because our phone carrier gave it to us, with our brand-new, "high-end" iPhone. Since it was handed to us WITH the brand-new phone that was still in its box, my husband and I assumed it was from Apple, too. We were WRONG. I think that people who sell iPhone accessories should have to disclose when they are NOT Apple accessories, or Apple-approved.

The rest of our own story is that after we started receiving the error message, we went to an Apple store, bought an APPLE lightning cable a few weeks ago, and have had no problems. We will never go back to Androids, having been burned six times by those. Apple is definitely the best; you have no idea how much you appreciate something that WORKS and does so much for you and DOES make your world better - until you have half a dozen replacements of bad phones (with three different major problems, only to be replaced with a new problem with each "like new" phone. BUT I do think (1) Apple, known as a consumer-responsive company, should let iPhone users know about this change - about the cables that suddenly will no longer work. That is just the right thing to do, to notify and not let people puzzle over it. Our cord had worked for 10 months with no problems, until we got 7.1.1. Apple should be educating us about these things. (2) Stores who sell iPhone accessories should be required to disclose when they are not Apple-supported, especially now that they won't work, otherwise. I guess until someone does something about this, it's up to us to get the word out to family and friends. Hope my experience will benefit someone.

My iPhone 5 keeps displaying the message "This accessory may not be supported" whenever I charge my phone. Then it stops charging after a couple of minutes, any idea on how to fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.