Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Phantom" text messages? It says I have unread texts when I don't (I have tried everything)

So here's the deal: I'm having the "phantom" message problem where, despite the fact that I have checked all of my texts, I still get the little (1) on the app (or in my case, 36!)

Funny thing is that when I go into the messages (the 36 are from 3 different people) like I have about 17 from a friend, call him Bill, and I go into Bill's messages, it says I have read those 17 and I have 19 left. But when I go back into the main text tab thing, all 36 are still unread. I can't even delete messages. I can't delete the conversation and have it STAY gone (it'll come back after a reboot.)

I have tried everything.

I have tried closing the app. I've googled this problem and have checked and done every solution that seemingly worked for those people. Plugging it into my computer. Holding home and power and letting it reboot. I've cleared the Notifcations bar (the one you drag down). Turning it completely off. I just finished restoring it and IT'S STILL THERE. I am at such a loss and i'm so ******.

The only thing I have left to do is go to an Apple store and demand they fix my phone, which I plan on doing in the next couple of days.

And then these JERKS at Apple say they can't do customer service via the internet unless I shell out $20. Seriously? I might have to get an Andriod when my contract is up.

I am PRAYING this is just some glitch that will go away...

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 25, 2014 12:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2017 5:22 PM

I followed the first comment of asking Siri "read my unread messages" and it found the message and the notification went away. I realized it was actually coming from the "Unknown senders" tab at the top of your Messages app. So if you're getting these, double check that portion of the app and delete/read any messages that are in there.

If one/both of these don't resolve the problem, i'm unsure what else to suggest as a phone restart or hard reset did not solve the problem for me (but it also wasn't technically "phantom" since i just wasn't paying attention that it actually existed within the "unknown senders"

60 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2017 5:22 PM in response to shouldagonewithandriod

I followed the first comment of asking Siri "read my unread messages" and it found the message and the notification went away. I realized it was actually coming from the "Unknown senders" tab at the top of your Messages app. So if you're getting these, double check that portion of the app and delete/read any messages that are in there.

If one/both of these don't resolve the problem, i'm unsure what else to suggest as a phone restart or hard reset did not solve the problem for me (but it also wasn't technically "phantom" since i just wasn't paying attention that it actually existed within the "unknown senders"

Sep 30, 2014 7:12 AM in response to Billbob2003

Daveemmons had best solution. I had this same problem when I updated to the new iOS software last year. It obviously restored some old message that I may/may not have deleted, but was flagged as ‘unread’. i too went through all my messages (a lot easier on the iPhone 6 plus) and eventually found one from 2012?? I deleted this message which was automated from a service provider and now the alert is gone.

Mar 25, 2014 6:50 PM in response to AmishCake

That I have.

I also went to the Apple store today. They suggested I use the Cloud thing instead to back up and restore my phone.

DIDN'T WORK.

Ha. So. I think I might have to give up on my phone because this is just...so annoying. Annoying is an understatement. I'm really hoping it just goes away.

If not, BYE BYE Apple phones, hello Samsung!

"Phantom" text messages? It says I have unread texts when I don't (I have tried everything)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.