Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.0.2 update removed instruments

I installed the update 10.0.2 for GarageBand X, in order to purchase extra in app content, and it removed a lot of the key instruments that were formerly available in 10.0.0 as recently as a day or so ago. Example: 10.0.0 Instrument Library for PIANO offers ... "Boesendorfer Grand Piano, Steinway Grand Piano, Yamaha Grand Piano and Experimental" which sub-includes "Backwards, Bowed Piano, Before Talkies, Daylight Piano, Ghost Piano, Nylon Synth Piano, Piano Motion, & Transistor Radio Piano." Wow!

But guess what? The "new update" 10.0.2 wipes away ALL of that and only gives the user "Steinway Grand." That's it for pianos.

Under the "Orchestral" menu, 10.0.0 offers in Brass: "French Horn Solo, French Horns, Full Brass, Trombones, Trumpets, & Tuba." !0.0.02 wipes most of that away and gives the user "French Horns, Trombones & Trumpets".

Strings! 10.0.0 offers "Basses, Cellos, Cinema Strings, Full Strings, Modern Strings, Session Strings, Smart Strings, String Ensemble, Studio Strings, Violas, Violins 1 & Violins 2." New updated GarageBand X 10.0.2 takes most of that away and gives user a choice of exactly two: "Smart Strings & String Ensemble."

Woodwinds! 10.0.0 offers "Bassoon Solo, Clarinet Solo, Clarinets, English Horn, Flute Solo, Flutes, Oboe, Piccolo & Saxophone. Update 10.0.2 reduces that to "Clarinet Solo, Flute Solo & Saxophone."

And so on and so on and so on.

Downloading the "add-on" app of extra sounds, loops, etc for $4.99 from the app store did NOT restore these taken away instruments which are basics for any serious musician. And yes, the "Legacy" instruments from GarageBand '11 do fill in a few gaps, but very few. It seems Apple, in the guise of "updating" the newest GarageBand for Mavericks, must have decided their original offering was too kind to its customers and quickly moved to disable — deliberately — as much as they could in terms of GarageBand X's usablitly in order to force musician clients to migrate to the $200 Logic Pro X, which is overkill in many songwriting situations. Hence the raison d'etre of GarageBand in the first place.

Over the years, Apple offered, then took away, whose wonderful Jam Packs. Then they offered Mainstage 2, which also gave users the Jam Packs libraries, then decided to take that away too. And now this deliberate crippling of an earlier product. There is a pattern here, and it is not kind to the actual musician who can make musical magic with GarageBand because it is .... make that was .... so good.

For the record, I bought one of the first Macintosh computers (128K) sold in Southern California — literally one of the first — on that very day back in 1983 when Mac was introduced. I have bought and used nothing but Mac, Mac, Mac ever since, and my household currently has an 24" iMac, a MacBook Air, a MacBood Pro, 2 Macbooks, an iPad 2, iPad Retina and iPad Mini, four iPhones and countless peripherals and Apple software & apps. I think I qualify as a loyal customer. Why is Apple treating me and other loyal Mac users with such disdain? I don't get it. And HOW can I possibly get back the first (and good) version of GarageBand X since the App Store will now only make the newer, inferior 10.0.2 available instead?

It's a tilting at windmills question, sure. But is there anyone at 1 Infinite Loop who thinks a problem like this needs fixing? Or realize that a problem exists?

BTW, no complaints about the telephone Apple Technical people I've talked to by phone, or the geniuses in my local Apple Store. Apple's staff people have been great. But the software.... Whew. Sometimes newer is not better.

Oh to be a personal friend of Tim Cook or Phil Schiller at this moment. But since I'm neither, I'm just putting this info out there into the world, and hoping something changes at my favorite computer company. (P. S. I'm not deleting my GarageBand '11. I need it now more than ever.) -- Respectfully, LEEINLA

OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 26, 2014 2:24 PM

20 replies

Mar 26, 2014 2:47 PM in response to LeeinLA

There must have something gone dreadfully wrong with your 10.0.2 update.

For me all the missing instruments are still there, for example the pianos:

User uploaded file

All te instruments you are missing, are installed in

/Library/Application Support/Logic/Patches/Instrument/

I am not sure, if I am seeing them, because I have Logic Pro X installed. Do you have also Logic installed?

Mar 26, 2014 7:37 PM in response to léonie

Hi léonie. Thanks for your note, but no I do not have Logic Pro X installed, which may possibly explain a cross-pollination of Logic's instrument library riches migrating somehow to GarageBand X. I really have no idea. But my 10.0.2 update downloaded and installed twice, on site of my local Apple Store, and under the watchful eye of an Apple Store sales staffer. And phone tech support supervisors all got the same reduced instrument 10.0.2 offerings as I did on their own GarageBand screen bootups, as if that was the norm. What you have on your screen shot was what I had on my computer with my initial GB-X 10.0.0 download (or more likely 10.0.1 in actuality.) But all the in-store demo macs had 10.0.0 running and it is simply a different instruments set than 10.0.2, as I described. I had what you had and now it's gone and the App Store is only dispensing the update version. But thank you for the thought. ——LeeinLA

Mar 27, 2014 10:43 AM in response to LeeinLA

I also still have all the instruments you say have gone missing. No Logic Pro on this machine, though I have both Mainstage 2 and 3. Very curious. I'm more bothered by the fact that apparently you can no longer go into an individual software instrument track and apply effects. If that's still there I sure can't find it.

Can you Time Machine yourself back to before the 10.0.2 installation?

Apr 7, 2014 11:20 PM in response to LeeinLA

LeeninLA,

I have a similar situation following the 10.0.2 upgrade ... reduced instruments 😮 - estimate 80% are shadowed out.

I purchased the Apple Jam CD Packs some years back for model 10.0.0 ( world music, rhythm section, symphony orchestra etc ) - the JP folders are now empty or substantially reduced. I don't use Logic Pro X. Time Machine folders have also disappeared - soooo many of the instruments I usually link with my Midi keyboard have evaporated ! 😠

While I would like to retrieve these instrument files I am also prepared to purchase a replacement set SOMEWHERE, hopefully at a $discount?? HaHa!

On a more positive note I do like the 10.0.2 interface and the loop library with it's 'complete set of content' purchase offers an exciting mix of sounds. Also, while I also have only one piano 😢 aka the "Steinway Grand", I do believe the sound is superb and a major improvement.

Your rational comment -

"Over the years, Apple offered, then took away, whose wonderful Jam Packs. Then they offered Mainstage 2, which also gave users the Jam Packs libraries, then decided to take that away too. And now this deliberate crippling of an earlier product."

.... true, sooo what's the answer?

We have both upgraded Garageband 10.0.2 to our detriment and in seeking a solution, todate there seem to be few posts of assistance?

Apr 8, 2014 9:00 AM in response to LeeinLA

I totally agree. Like yourself i started using mac and mac products when i bought the Mac Plus. As a songwriter i found , that from the gate, GarageBand was the perfect tool for songwriters, it was simple, and elegant. I have used every itteration of GB. Having purchased a new Mac Pro a few months ago, it came with GB 10.0.02. i bought the $4.99 extras from the store- where are they. Still, only that one piano. Frankly, this GB is a disaster. I have had nothing but problems with it. I think I'll go back to using the simpler Protools and Reason -hahaha.

Apr 8, 2014 2:51 PM in response to LeeinLA

Following the suggestion from léonie even though I don't have Logic installed I have located the Garageband instrument folders -

check installation link

Library / Application Support / GarageBand / Instrument Library / Plug-in Settings, Sampler,TrackSettings

and there they are? 😎 well maybe? Lotza Pianos!

So how can I move Plug-in Settings, Sampler,TrackSettings folders (either in part or whatever) to my GB 10.0.2 Instrument Library if this will actually resolve the problem ??

Sep 27, 2014 6:09 PM in response to LeeinLA

Have you guys found out where the original GB loops are in 10.0.2? I used to usethe 70's ballad String loop often because it was editable; now I see if offered in older songs I did before 10.0.2, but not in any new songs started with the latest version of GB? any help would be most apreciated....it's the only loop I use......

todd

Feb 18, 2015 12:17 PM in response to lindafromflorissant

Linda,

In what folders do you install the 'Legacy' voices in order to use them?

On a similar note, I came across the following manual produced by Apple which describes something called "Jam Pack Voices".

http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA929/en_US/GarageBand_Jam_Pack_Voices.p df

This appears to be pretty incredible according to description in the manual. Is there some way I can get access to it?

10.0.2 update removed instruments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.