Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

old itunes radio not supported anymore?

i am running 10.6.8 and itunes 10.7 this morning my itunes radio stations wont work. its says "error contacting tuning service.."

MacBook (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 8:27 AM

6 replies

Mar 28, 2014 6:17 AM in response to passionatemac

A really, really awkward workaround that works for me (for now) is if you have the URL of the Internet radio server you can go to Advanced > Open Stream... (in iTunes 10.x) or type command + U, enter it there & click OK. The station should play fine in iTunes 10.x.

You can get the URL from any version of iTunes that still supports the "radio tuning service" (which I gather is an Apple server thing Apple is no longer supporting for 10.x). Play the station normally from the newer version & type command + I to open the info window. At the bottom of the "Summary" tab you will see the URL. (Annoyingly, you can't copy the text so you will have to write it down.)

Once you have that, you can play the station in 10.x & add it to a playlist for future use.

To check this out, maybe try http://198.27.80.37/stream/mbarsott.pls -- it is a European Jazz station that works fine for me with iTunes 10.3.1.

Mar 28, 2014 8:30 AM in response to MAXXSK

Apple tends not to keep people updated on things unless it is a really massive event (this isn't). I recall similar things happening before. In one case (weather widget couldn't connect with older OS versions) things suddenly started working again a week or two later. In others (radio in my iTunes 7.5 died a quite a while back) it just disappeared and never reappeared. Remember, the 'general' thinking on this is you should always be running the newest iTunes (yes, yes, I know, hey I run an older computer than probably most of you, but go to an Apple Store and the people will look at you all puzzled when they hear you haven't upgraded everything to the newest, and oh my gosh, who remembers a G4 computer???)

Apr 3, 2014 2:05 PM in response to passionatemac

Apple has thrown us oldtime users under the bus again😠

The iTunes Radio Tuning Service now needs iTunes 11 to operate, which is only compatible with intel Macs.

You'll need to collect the URLs to stations you used to listen to, and put them in manually in Advanced/Open Stream

I've been run over by the Apple bus so many times since my SE/30, it seems normal to me😟

2Ghz Dual Core G5, 9.22/10.4.11/10.5.8

old itunes radio not supported anymore?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.