Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unread messages disappear from Notification Centre

After updating to iOS 7.1 unread messages do not always show in Notifications Centre.

They show initially but then if they are any are left unread from the previous day they do not show in Notification Centre even though they are marked with the "unread" blue dot in Messages

I haven't "cleared" the notification either

Any advice?

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 8:31 AM

26 replies

Jan 31, 2017 7:12 AM in response to jonny100

I have same issue. I would like to explaint my testing. I have 2 iphones:

1/ old iphone 6 (only for testing) - ios10.2 - clear new install - only my exchange account configured

2/ my actual iphone 7 - ios10.2.1 - this is my real iphone - this iphone has my every data from the past. I restored backup from older iphon - here i have same exchange account configured.

1/ new clear iphone 6 - doesnt have problem with email notifications (after unclocking, email notifications are still here)

2/ old backup on iphone 7 - have problem with email notifications (after unlocking new email notifications disappear)

I think this is problem with mess in old backups or something like that. But i dont want to start on new iphone 7 with clear ios. It is a lot of work to manually move datas to the new iphone. I want to migrade old datas to the new iphone with standard way as always from old backups (for example from icloud backup).

It means clear install doesnt have problem with mail notifications.

Old backups have problem with email notifications.

Please apple help us!

Miro

Mar 31, 2014 3:04 PM in response to jonny100

I was hopeful when I tried this solution this morning that it had fixed the issue, but my notifications started disappearing again. I also tried switching the sort order to time instead of manual, but this didn't work either.

I am not sure what else I can try at this point. I restored my phone and that did not resolve the problem. However, I did restore it to a backup.

Again, I am surprised I have only seen this in the forums maybe twice. I would expect more people would notice this as it is not consistent with the other notification behaviors.

Dec 4, 2014 5:43 AM in response to dovig

Did anyone found a solution to this issue ?

Strangely this issues is also on my new iphone 6 running iOS 8.1.1. The notification centre settings are done to show last 5 unread messages.

When a new sms arrives, it appears in notification centre. However after a couple of hours its dissapears from it, even though the message is still unread & shows a blue dot next to it in Messages app. The time period after it disappears varies.

This is a wierd bug to say atleast. Point to note is -the badge icon of the message app shows the correct unread count, but all the unread messages ( last 5 as per the setting ) do not appear in notification centre.

Regards

Vikram

Jan 8, 2015 2:40 PM in response to jonny100

Same problem here running iOS 8.1 on iPhone 5s. Leave a notification in the notification center and it will disappear in about 10 minutes. The badge still shows the correct number of unread messages on the messaging app and I have not touched any other device associated with the same apple ID.

Out of curiosity do any of you have pebble watches connected to your phones when this happens?

Feb 2, 2015 2:53 PM in response to jonny100

i have the same issue!

I just upgraded my phone from a 4 to a 5s...I’ve gone to the apple store twice, got a replacement phone, reset my settings, changed my iCloud password, restarted the device several times… and NOTHING has worked. VERY annoying.

Has anyone found a solution to the disappearing notifications? my previous iphone 4 and work iphone 5c do not have this issue...

Please advise. Thank You!!

Unread messages disappear from Notification Centre

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.