Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where is airplay in iTunes NPR radio

Where or how do I access airplay in iTunes NPR radio?

Mac mini Server (Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 9:57 AM

24 replies

Mar 29, 2014 6:20 AM in response to bobd1

Hey bond1,

Thanks for the question. To turn on AirPlay in iTunes, follow these steps:

To stream music or videos from your computer to an Apple TV or AirPort Express:

1. Connect your computer and Apple TV to the same Wi-Fi network.

2. Open iTunes.

3. Locate and click the User uploaded file icon to the left of the iTunes LCD window.

4. Select your Apple TV, AirPort Express, or AirPlay-enabled speakers or receivers from the list of available devices that appears and begin playback.

Note: The images of a TV screen User uploaded file or speaker User uploaded file next to each AirPlay device in the AirPlay menu indicate the type of media content you can stream to that device.

iTunes: Using AirPlay

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5922

Thanks,

Matt M.

Mar 29, 2014 3:11 PM in response to bobd1

I am using iTunes 11.1.5 and OS X 10.9.2 on a 13-inch, Mid 2013 MacBook Air. All other provided radio stations display the AirPlay drop-down list (see Screenshot 1). Only, thus far, the NPR radio selection removes the AirPlay drop-down list (see Screenshot 2). No retarting of iTunes required. One only has to toggle between NPR and any other radio staion to turn the AirPlay feature off/on.

Note that this bug does not occur on my iPad mini with Retina display. That is, I can choose the NPR radio station and still have access to my AirPlay drop-down list.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jun 28, 2014 8:40 AM in response to matt00

Hi Matt - Can you please readdress the problem. I'm having the same issue and your reply does not address why the icon disappears when listening to NPR and how to fix it.

I did find that opening the 'Output' tab under the 'Sound' icon in 'System Preferences' is a reasonable workaround, but I still can't select more than one output device.

Thanks

Sep 9, 2014 10:58 AM in response to bobd1

I'm a little late, but I just found this thread after experiencing the OP's problem for the first time. I don't think iTunes' disallowing airplay of NPR is a licensing issue. It's yet another bug. I've been streaming NPR via airplay for weeks, as recently as yesterday. But today, for no apparent reason, the airplay icon next to the volume control in iTunes disappeared when I started the NPR stream. It reappears and works properly for custom radio stations but not NPR. I've restarted my Mac and my airplay speaker with no success.

Like many others, I've tried to embrace iTunes Radio but I'm just getting more and more disgusted with its bugginess as time goes on. With Apple's vast cash reserves, you'd think they could afford an adequate number of competent developers to make this work.

Sep 9, 2014 11:10 AM in response to bobd1

Update: It's most definitely a bug, not a licensing issue.

I have NPR saved in two places in iTunes: as a station under My Stations, and as a URL saved in a playlist. When I go to Music > Radio > My Stations > NPR, the airplay button disappears. However, if I play NPR by selecting its URL that I saved in a playlist, airplay works fine.

where is airplay in iTunes NPR radio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.