Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Radio won't play music

Hi, I am running OS X 10.5.8 on a MacBook and my iTunes radio quit working on me today. When I try to open the genera folders, I recieve the following error message, "An error occurred while contacting the radio tuning service. Check your Internet connection, or try again later." Obviously, I am having to problem getting online to complain about it in this forum, so what's wrong? I have already tried logging out and logging back in again. If this is the way iTunes radio is, I may switch to another radio provider.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 27, 2014 8:09 PM

6 replies

Apr 2, 2014 10:17 AM in response to YoginiAmy

Apple has quit supporting iTunes music stations on the older iTunes 10.6.3. The best thing to do is to go to addictedtoradio.com and stream your favorite music type directly from there. I used to use iTunes radio to get me there anyway, so now I just bypass the Apple end of it and use the station directly. There is no cost and you get to beat Apple by keeping your older PowerPC music source (laptop, tower, mini, iMac, etc.) instead of having to upgrade out of necessity. 🙂

Apr 3, 2014 2:06 PM in response to mbach12

Wow, how disappointing. Here at my office, I used and enjoyed iTunes 10.6.3 on my G5 almost every day. Yes, I get the fact that technology marches on, but why shut off this service to those who don't have (or can afford) a newer computer? As much as I like Apple, it's stuff like this that really turns me off.

A good alternative to iTunes Radio on a Mac PPC is VLC Media Player. I'm listening to it now, version 2.0.10, on my G5 running OS 10.5.8. There are hundreds of "stations" to pick from under their "Icecast Radio Directory." It is definitely not the prettiest app out there, but the selection of music and sound quality is every bit (so to speak) as good as iTunes.

http://www.videolan.org/

iTunes Radio won't play music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.