Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my AppleTV won't play movies from computer

My Apple TV recognizes the movies I have in iTunes, however, when I try to play the movies it just gets stuck on the buffering screen. It does play music with no problem.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Mar 29, 2014 6:54 PM

25 replies

Apr 1, 2014 7:57 AM in response to Badger3k

Same problem - only since last update to itunes. Working fin before - now the appleTV will not connect to my computer. It can see it - but the wheel spins, times out, and then un-helpful "make sure home sharing is on" blather. All software up to date, network is absolutely fine otherwise. Have restarted everything. Not happy!

May 26, 2014 8:17 PM in response to ARMADA83

I am having the same problem, which occurred 4 months ago or so. I've tried everything. I've reset router and apple tv, opened all recommended ports on the router, dauthorized computers, signed out of itunes, apple tv, home sharing etc and re-signed back in, opened firewall in windows 8.1... all with no results at all. It just keeps doing the same message as previously messaged.... 😠

May 26, 2014 8:41 PM in response to ARMADA83

Thinking back to when this happened I suspect that it may have been because I deferred the "restart your computer now" option when the first update came through. There was then a second apple update, before I had restarted, and the restart wasn't then mandated. Perhaps this caused the mess. It might explain why this doesn't seem to be a very widespread problem. I haven't looked yet to see if the latest update fixed it. Also haven't reinstalled itunes, which i assume will fix the problem -- but I think will mean I lose all my downloaded stuff, which is a pain.

Why won't my AppleTV won't play movies from computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.