Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi disconnects, wont reconnect, searches forever, after sleep and at powerup

MODERATORS, mods, please do not delete this thread because it appears to be a repeat of this one:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5495375?start=0&tstart=0, this thread has all of the useful info on page 1- unlike the other one which is confusing until page 18+. People need a one-stop place to find info on this, ie. page 1 of this thread. Thank you.

Also, please STICKY this thread because it is an issue for so many people and related to one of the most basics of laptop essentials - wifi. Stick this thread to the main page of macbook, osx etc so it is one of the first things people see without even needing to search.

I have been following this thread (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5495375?start=0&tstart=0) for awhile and we are creating confusion for every new person that reads this thread. When they go to the last pages, to get the latest info they just see a lot of confusing info. They are seeing alot of suggested fixes, trying them and they dont work, or they do work, but there are so many suggestions that no one knows what to try. So I have a proposal. Lets do this right. Copy and paste this post. Dont just say: I tried this and it didnt work, or I tried everything and it didnt work, lets be helpful to ourselves and to others. If you try one of the suggestions and it works for you, bump up the "success count", if it doesn’t bump up the failure count. Because when multiple people have something working we can have confidence it should work for us.

Problem:

Since upgrading to Mavericks whenever my MacBook goes to sleep (if I leave it idle or if I close the lid) the wifi disconnects and it can take up to a minute to reconnect when it wakes. When searching the web you get the message “Not connected to the internet”

One Reason Why it happens:

Wifi and Bluetooth conflict with each other when the computer wakes. If a bluetooth device was paired, and was disconnected while the mac was sleeping, the mac will first look to repair that device. Since the device does not allow the mac to pair, the mac continues to search for it for up to 1 minute and then will timeout and allow the wifi to ocnnect.

How to test it:

Close the lid of your mac to let it sleep, open it and login, does it take 0-5 seconds to connect Wifi (Wifi icon becomes solid black and can surf the web) if so you are good. Else if wifi icon is gray or shows searching and you cannot surf the web for 30s to 1 minute or until you select your wifi network you have the problem.

Potential ways to get around this (Please add to success/fail count as you test! )

1) EASY - Turn off Bluetooth (Top Right corner menu bar Bluetooth Icon > Turn Bluetooth Off, icon will become gray)

Test it works: Turn bluetooth off, close lid, open, and surf web

Disadvantage: Obviously you cannot use bluetooth.

Success Count: 100+ i.e. yes this has worked for many people!

Fail Count: 0 ie as far as we know this has not failed to work around this issue for everyone!

2) MEDIUM - Delete the plist and reboot your mac (Open finder, select ‘Go’ at top menu bar, ‘Go to folder’ > Library/Preferences, delete this folder if you have it: SystemConfiguration (if you have it) and this file: com.apple.systempreferences.plist (More info https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4301)

Test it works: Turn Bluetooth on, close lid, open, and surf web

Disadvantage: Issue returns if after doing this fix, you disconnect a Bluetooth device while the mac is sleeping.

Success Count: 1 ie there is some low confidence that this method works, need more people to chime in

Fail Count: 0

2) EASY – If you have unpaired a Bluetooth device while mac was sleeping, repair that device. Unpair it while mac is awake.

Disadvantage: You must have the device available of course

Success Count: 1 ie there is some low confidence that this method works, need more people to chime in

Fail Count: 0

3) EASY - Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer (Top Right corner menu bar Bluetooth Icon) > Open Bluetooth Preferences > Advanced > Uncheck Bluetooth devices to wake this computer

Disadvantage:

Success Count: 0

Fail Count: 1 ie there is some low confidence that this method does NOT work, need more people to chime in

4) EASY - Disconnect all bluetooth devices (Top Right corner menu bar Bluetooth Icon) > Open Bluetooth Preferences > Remove all connected devices

Disadvantage:

Success Count: 0

Fail Count: 1 ie there is some low confidence that this method does NOT work, need more people to chime in

Can this issue be related to other devices/services that cause wifi to drop? Yes, and each issue may have a unique resolution to keeping that device/service working with wifi:

My dropbox cause wifi to drop:

I have also noticed that in addition to bluetooth causing wifi to fail to connect after sleep, if I install dropbox and powerup my machine wifi will not connect. Dropbox if you are not familiar is a cloud service that lets you save docs/pictures to a remote location. I found that my searching the preferences/options of my dropbox application, I could turn off the option "Start dropbox on system startup" which resolved the issue. What I believe is happening is that wifi is set as a very low priority - basically it is the last service to run after all other servies bluetooth, dropbox, printers, etc.

My printer causes wifi to drop:

My guess is that your mac is trying to reconnect to your printer after each sleep (it temporarily disconnects at each sleep), and that on wakeup the connection causes the wifi to hang/never connect - all the while your printer may connect and work as normal (at least this seems the case with dropbox/bluetooth. So my suggestion is this - look through your printers options and see if you can disable automatic reconnecting at wakeup or system powerup, if so you may be able to connect to printer quickly and seemlessly each time you actual choose file > print, and you may never notice any difference in usability of your printer. If this is not an option for your printer, you may have to disable/uninstall it to use wifi without these interruptions.

Are you mad, sad, dissappointed with apple for releasing software with these issues and not responding/fixing the issue? Complain to them via support feedback. It is the only way the issue will be resolved. Even if a temporary fix works it is not a full solution and apple should push an update. Basically if 100000+ complaints come on the same issue, engineers and managers lose their jobs if they dont address them. I know, I work at a software company. So here is how to complain:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Please give apple feedback! Use this:

Subject:

Wifi drops and does not connect at wakeup after OS update to mavericks

Comments:

Using the mavericks operating system, when I put my mac to sleep it does not recognize wifi upon wakeup. Safari says "No internet connection". I have to manually re-select the wifi connection. In addition, sometimes wifi will drop randomly while surfing and i get the message "No internet connection". This is very frustrating especially since the main use of my laptop is web search. Please fix!

MacBook

Posted on Mar 30, 2014 10:06 AM

21 replies

Apr 2, 2014 3:10 PM in response to antzcrashing

Look at here 😉

I finally figured out that my own "connection timeout" problem was caused by the DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter. It added so much noise when in use that my macbook pro lost the wifi connection.

the solution? putting the stupid adapter further away from my macbook and also wrapping in aluminum foil to prevent it from interfering with the wifi signal... ;-) .

This works for my iMac late 2013, I got so much adapters (thunderbird/dvi - thunderbird/FW800 - USB3.0/eSata).

Try 😉

Apr 5, 2014 10:23 AM in response to Larsenio

Pretty sure you guys are joking about putting the parts in tinfoil after you removed them, but I can never be sure. Anyone want to confirm this? My guess is that having the adapters plugged in to devices (USB HD thunderbird DVI to monitor etc) caused the wifi infinite search. But I am pretty confident that having the adapters plugged into nothing would not cause issues, and that wrapping the devices in tin foil once removed does nothing - the devices are not acting as antennas and disrupting/interferring with wifi.

Apr 5, 2014 10:53 AM in response to antzcrashing

NO!
Im not joking, 15 days without wifi and after unplugged thunderbird/DVI and USB/eSata adapter I get immediatly connected so, its only a lot of noise by thunderbird or usb adapter - Im using wifi all days without trouble after wrapping cable usb/eSata and thunderbird/DVI.

I get this trouble only with late 2013 iMac and 10.9.2 - my old imac 2008 10.6.8 worked fine without wrapping.

Just try before reply, please 🙂

Solutions:

1. unplug thunderbird/dvi cable - any usb adapters

or

2. wrap adapters with aluminium foil

Try, isnt expensive 😀

Apr 5, 2014 12:41 PM in response to Larsenio

I dont have these parts so I cant try but I think I see what you are saying. This part made it clear:

Solutions:

1. unplug thunderbird/dvi cable - any usb adapters

or

2. wrap adapters with aluminium foil

Try, isnt expensive 😀

So in other words you can either disconnect the cables or keep them connected and wrap in alumnium, ok that makes sense I suppose, but I am still skeptical that wrapping them in aluminum foil does anything. From your original post I thought you were suggesting unplugging the cables and wrapping them in alunimum foil, as if to say unplugging them was not enough to solve the issue, but wrapping them finally solved it. But anyway, I dont have these parts to confirm or deny, can someone else with the parts chime in on this

Apr 5, 2014 4:47 PM in response to antzcrashing

Sorry Sir, but unfortunatly I cannot explain so easy but solutions are 1. or 2. 🙂
Wrapping aluminum foil to unplugged cable is fooly 🙂

Today I have any trouble after this foil aluminium, and after 15 days thats im trying every possible solutions to solve this 😀
So.. the only rational and possible reason is that the connectors were creating noise, nor Bluetooth (active) nor .plist corrupetd neither corrupted pref.
Before this, I've tried every solutions mentioned above (after 15 days looking to solve), coincidently I have tried foil aluminium solving at all !!

Apr 6, 2014 5:33 AM in response to antzcrashing

I put on an aluminum foil hat and now I get free Wi-Fi from other countries! 😁

But really, I'm an electrical engineer. All of Apple's products have been certified by the FCC and tested for emmissions and interferrence (Part 15 Compliance). It makes no sense that wrapping anything in aluminum foil corrects a connectivity issue unless one is using a cheap Chineese knock-off or there is some other failing or non-complieant device in play here. The other possibility is the whole aluminum foil idea is just a Teabilly prank meant to pollute the conversation.

As for my solution to the Wi-Fi reconnect issue, my 3T Air Port Time Capsule arrives Tuesday.

Apr 6, 2014 7:36 AM in response to Chrisbotcom

Chris I am also an EE and that was my skeptism as well. I didnt want people to start adding the aluminum to their macs with false hope either. My best guess Larsenio is to try to find the service/program which is running when you have any adapters connected (like a monitor emulator program etc) and see if you can modify the settings so that it does not require significant resources during powerup or sleep-wakeup.

Apr 6, 2014 2:22 PM in response to Chrisbotcom

I solved definitly Chris 🙂
as mentioned above, Im using a USB/eSata adapter and Thunderbird/DVI cable, wrapping adapter eSata and Apple Adapter DVI, Im solving definitly my troubles.
You got this kind of USB/eSata adapter? NO 😀
You got a Thunderbird/DVI (i got Eizo LCD)? NO.
So, you havent a real reply also are u an EE.

Troubles by noise are worst also with AirPort Time Capsule - I read so much people with this kind of trouble not solved with TC and 5Ghz.

Adapter USB/eSata: Delock 61754

Adapter Thunderbird/DVI: (Apple Mini Display Port to DVI)

Apr 6, 2014 2:27 PM in response to antzcrashing

antzcrashing, I havent any monitor emulator or program sounds like this.
Do you know if this kind of adapter could make so much noise to create interferences for wifi? are u sure also u dont got this kind of adapters?
Lets try people, if solving.

Im using Wireless Diagnostic, RSSI and noise without wrapping alluminium are so much different - also iStrumbler 😉
Im not joking.

Learn about potential sources of Wi-Fi and Bluetooth (wireless) interference.

Apr 6, 2014 3:49 PM in response to Larsenio

Larsenio,

To solve a problem it helps considerably to employ the scientific method, which I believe you are not doing. You have a system with an issue, then you apply a possible fix and it appears to go away with one or more times. That is not enough to detemine if the fix is truely the solution or if something else, even random or unexpected by you has resolved it (without your knowledge).

So I suggest the following if you want to establish credibility:

Case 1:

Remove all tin foil and attach adapters, then shut down or sleep your laptop, then power it up and see if the wifi fails

Do this 10X and report the results for each try.

Case 2:

Then place the tin foil and attach adapters, then shut down or sleep your laptop, then power it up and see if the wifi fails

Do this 10X and report the results for each try.

If in some attemps of Case 1 you fail to power wifi sucess, and in all attempts of Case 2 you success to power wifi, then you may be on to something. Also, it would help if someone else other that you tries the same exhaustive test with the same results. Otherwise, it is very difficult to believe that you are disrupting your wifi signal with your other antennas. That is the reason I am hesitant to suggest it to others

Apr 7, 2014 4:31 AM in response to antzcrashing

antzcrashing, I think you dont read what I wrote above, I invite you to pay more attention: they are 15 days test every possible solution, attached and detached cables, clean prefs prefs removed, recreated network configuration etc.. every day.

I solved only with aluminum foil, definitly after a week of continuous switching on and off.

ps.: it is not a laptop, but a late 2013 iMac i7 512ssd 21.5"

Obviously my solution is due to the fact that I use 2 adapters very special (thunderbird/DVI and usb/eSata), if users do not have this type of adapters but have these problems too, the problem must be sought elsewhere.

ps.: Im using BT device too 🙂

Apr 16, 2014 12:15 PM in response to antzcrashing

I am having a problem almost identical to this one. The difference is that I am not using WiFi, but rather the wired ethernet port. When I wake the system, the IP conneciton is functional for a few seconds, then not. Unplugging the cable and reconnecting it brings it back, as does "ifconfig en0 down; ifconfig en0 up".

I am trying the network locations workaround now...

Wifi disconnects, wont reconnect, searches forever, after sleep and at powerup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.