Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home and Power Button Not Working

Out of warranty, battery wasn't holding it's charge so I swapped it out with a new one.

As soon as I tried turning it on after the swap, it showed the "Connect to iTunes" image. Connected it to iTunes and tried restoring the phone but after the restore it reboots and asks to restore again and again. Searched on this issue and apparently it's known as the "Restore Loop". Saw a post on how to get the phone to boot up from factory settings by disconnecting the phone before it restarts during the restore process. Was able to get to the home screen and everything but now the power and home button will not work.

Are there any fixes for this?

iPhone 5

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 10:44 PM

18 replies

Apr 4, 2014 3:56 PM in response to Mark Piaskiewicz1

Took it apart again to look through it and everything is connected and nothing seems out of place. I'm positive I put it back the correct way. Maybe when the battery is disconnected for a period of time it resets the software responsible for those buttons or something? Maybe it's because the battery isn't original? I'm wondering how these shops do it with no issues afterwards.

Apr 5, 2014 11:53 AM in response to JokerElite

Update: I believe I found what is causing the issue. Did some more research and checked on my U3 chip and transmitter chips on the logic board/mother board. They are located on the inner side of the sim card reader.

Found a picture of the location here:

User uploaded file

From what I've been reading at (http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/128852/Home+button+%2B+Power+button+doens%27t +work+after+display+replacement) it seems that the absence of one or a certain amount of chips cause the power and home button problem.

Hope this helps everyone else with similar issues 🙂

Apr 6, 2014 1:26 PM in response to JokerElite

Hey I'm having an issue and I was wondering if anyone could help. My iPhone 5 battery died so I replaced it but when I did the phone was stuck in restore (DFU) loop. So I restored my phone but now the home and power button don't work. It's extreme hard to use the phone now because when the phone sleeps u can't use it unless I get a notification. I'm pretty sure it's not a hardware issue so please don't tell me to replace the part. Can anybody help me resolve my situation?

Thanks

Apr 21, 2014 8:38 PM in response to JokerElite

Went about getting my phone fixed by user "jessabethany", which can be found on this page: http://www.mommyfixit.com/iPhone_5_Pry_Damage_22No_Power_button2c_No_Home_Button 22_repair_service/p2356217_12094991.aspx

Received my phone back today and it is once again fully functional! 🙂

Communication was consistant and I was always updated on the status of my repair. Options were provided before making any decisions.

I recommend jessabethany 100% for anyone else that has an iPhone with pry-damage.

Sep 7, 2014 8:52 PM in response to JokerElite

Hello,

About 4 months ago I sent my phone from Australia to Jessabethany for repair for the pry damage. I have still not received my phone back from her and it has now been announced by her that it was probably stolen.

Has anybody been in a similar situation and have any advice or a better outcome than what I have had? I am unable to contact USPS myself to confirm this as I have not been given the customs form number - it is also lost.

Just looking for some advice.

Thanks

Dec 16, 2014 7:38 PM in response to Jackular

We have fixed over two hundred iPhone 5 pry damage phones, including dozens of International phones. Jack's was one of the first, and it is even featured in our original blog post on the topic. We sent it back to Australia via USPS First Class mail, which was the affordable option we agreed on--tracking number was only on the printed paper receipt which had been filed months before anyone recognzied that the package was lost. We did go out to storage and found the paper receipt: Tracking = LJ005217772US

I have learned quite a bit about International Shipping since then, and unfortunately International First Class is inexpensive because the post office has no visibility on the package once it leaves the US. The tracking on this package is marked Chicago, and then nothing after that. I assume it is lost or stolen since it was never delivered anywhere. We no longer ship International First class outside of Canada and UK, and we make sure that all International customers understand that there is some risk with International package shipping.

I think the USPS makes mistakes, but they usually do a pretty good job. A phone bound for Germany cleared customs in Brazil, but eventually it made its way back to Miami and then showed up good as new in Germany. We've had only three casualties out of hundreds of phone---two of these were shipping to Australia, so we now require post office pick up in Australia.

Best of luck Jack

Jessa (Mendon iPad Rehab)

Home and Power Button Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.