Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keychain Login keeps popping up, what do I do?

Every time I use my MacPro lately, a message keeps popping up asking me for my keychain login for different applications like Itunes and Chrome. It even pops up every 10 or so minutes when I'm using it. I tried deleting everything from Keychain access, but nothing has changed, so what do I do?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Apr 4, 2014 1:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2017 7:27 PM

I had same issue. I think it was related to power cut as I was having problems after that. Tried everything and then I couldn't get into iMessages on Mac either so did more research.

I ended up clearing the NVRAM and it worked. No longer get keychain password request and was able to get into iMessages. Also fixed my autofill from my OnePassword manager which I didn't think was related (but it was).

Shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately hold down these four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. Keep holding the keys for about 20 seconds, during which your Mac might appear to restart. (If you have a Mac that plays a startup sound when you turn it on, you can release the keys after the second startup sound.)

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

When your Mac finishes starting up, you might want to open System Preferences and adjust settings that have been reset, such as sound volume, display resolution, startup disk selection, or time zone.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204063

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 28, 2017 7:27 PM in response to Playerking95

I had same issue. I think it was related to power cut as I was having problems after that. Tried everything and then I couldn't get into iMessages on Mac either so did more research.

I ended up clearing the NVRAM and it worked. No longer get keychain password request and was able to get into iMessages. Also fixed my autofill from my OnePassword manager which I didn't think was related (but it was).

Shut down your Mac, then turn it on and immediately hold down these four keys together: Option, Command, P, and R. Keep holding the keys for about 20 seconds, during which your Mac might appear to restart. (If you have a Mac that plays a startup sound when you turn it on, you can release the keys after the second startup sound.)

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

When your Mac finishes starting up, you might want to open System Preferences and adjust settings that have been reset, such as sound volume, display resolution, startup disk selection, or time zone.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204063

Nov 3, 2016 1:09 PM in response to Playerking95

I have this same problem too, except every time I try and hit cancel the keychain login pops up again within seconds. I'm trying the steps below to get rid of this, but once I control click on 'login' and click to change the settings, it gives me the rainbow wheel to where I can't even get to the next step to 'uncheck the boxes'. Very frustrating.

Apr 4, 2014 8:25 AM in response to Playerking95

Back up all data.

Launch the Keychain Access application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Keychain Access in the icon grid.

Select the login keychain from the list on the left side of the Keychain Access window. If your default keychain has a different name, select that.

If the lock icon in the top left corner of the window shows that the keychain is locked, click to unlock it. You'll be prompted for the keychain password, which is the same as your login password, unless you've changed it.

Right-click or control-click the login entry in the list. From the menu that pops up, select Change Settings for Keychain "login". In the sheet that opens, uncheck both boxes, if not already unchecked.

From the menu bar, select

Keychain Access Preferences First Aid

If the box marked Keep login keychain unlocked is not checked, check it.

Select

Keychain Access Keychain First Aid

from the menu bar and repair the keychain. Quit Keychain Access.

May 29, 2016 11:38 PM in response to Playerking95

I do wish this were "solved", but it's not in my case. I've traced and performed these steps repeatedly. Works for maybe one or two logins, then it returns... or, I should say, they all return. Somehow iCloud either isn't keeping up, or it's butting heads with Yosemite 10.10.5, or something else entirely. These steps provide a working bandaid, and thanks for them... but it's still a bandaid. Pretty frustrating and time-consuming, but I'll certainly keep using them until an actual fix surfaces.

Keychain Login keeps popping up, what do I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.