Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keep iCloud keychain unlocked?

Hi - I have 3 Macs, all running Sierra. I home, 1 office, 1 MacBook.

All have iCloud keychain turned on.

2 constantly throughout the day popup a "Safari wants to use the Local Items Keychain".

I see this is an issue for a lot of folk in various communities!

As 1 of mine DOESN'T constantly request this ("Safari wants to use the Local Items Keychain"), I've narrowed it down to the fact that this one keeps the iCloud keychain constantly unlocked after initial login (it's also a MacBook with fingerprint scan if that makes any difference?)

Now I've tried everyone's suggestions of deleting the keychain folder or creating a new keychain on the other 2 - none of those things make any difference. The iCloud keychain locks after a certain amount of time - and I assume as I'm using the iCloud keychain, that is in fact my Local Items Keychain.

So my logic is now, the only way to stop the constant pop ups, is to keep the folder unlocked as per my MacBook - but how do I do that??

Hope that makes sense and someone can help!

Thanks

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.3)

Posted on Mar 26, 2017 10:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2017 12:19 AM

OK, finally worked this out, hope it helps someone else with the same issue. The reason the pop up message occurs is due to the keychain being locked, the password unlocks it. After a period of time, it seems to lock again.

For me the problem seems to be the "Require Password after sleep or screen saver begins". I unchecked this box, rebooted my Mac and I had no problems. I then checked the box again and continued to have no problems and haven't since! I had the exact same problem on a second Mac and following this procedure, also eliminated the problem here.

Somehow it would seem the Mac got confused and thought it was in lock mode and constantly locked the keychain. Not sure what triggered this, but fixed now!!

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2017 12:19 AM in response to zinacef

OK, finally worked this out, hope it helps someone else with the same issue. The reason the pop up message occurs is due to the keychain being locked, the password unlocks it. After a period of time, it seems to lock again.

For me the problem seems to be the "Require Password after sleep or screen saver begins". I unchecked this box, rebooted my Mac and I had no problems. I then checked the box again and continued to have no problems and haven't since! I had the exact same problem on a second Mac and following this procedure, also eliminated the problem here.

Somehow it would seem the Mac got confused and thought it was in lock mode and constantly locked the keychain. Not sure what triggered this, but fixed now!!

Jun 21, 2017 12:35 AM in response to RonEdwards

I'm afraid it didn't work for me - I recently upgraded the failing HDD on my mid-2012 MBP to a Crucial 512 Gb SSD. At the same time, I upgraded the RAM to 16 Gb.

Before installing the hardware, I cloned the old HDD using Carbon Copy Cloner and also did a Time Machine Backup. After this the old HDD completely failed and would not boot up.

After installing the SSD and RAM, I installed OS Mountain Lion from Internet Recovery and then upgraded this to OS Sierra, as the MBP had been running before the HDD failed.

Since installing Sierra, I have been receiving constant popups as you described above, usually 3 or 4 at a time (see picture). These are making the MBP almost unusable - None of my usual passwords seem to work and this seems to be preventing me from using Migration Assistant to reinstall my info.

User uploaded file

My previous travails are detailed in this thread: Re: How do I schedule Time Machine Backups?

Jul 3, 2017 6:51 AM in response to RonEdwards

hello Ron,

Thanks for the input. For my particular situation - 2008 macbook and yosemite - I found an answer from the group which says to open the keychain and right click "Login" in the left column and tick as shown in this screen shot:

User uploaded file

...open "Change Settings for Keychain login", and untick all if they are...:

User uploaded file

The problem of course is that being a laptop the keychain is always open as well as long as you are loved in...?

The other way to do it is to open the "Keychain repair" and start it, which I found did the same thing.

I'll see if this works

All the best.

Richard

Jul 3, 2017 4:57 AM in response to RonEdwards

Ron, you are a legend for solving this one.... I have been struggling with this for months and followed your process and has indeed solved the problem. I will also state that I am using a 3rd part app for lock/unlock with iPhone that may have caused the issue (perhaps???)... after rebuilds, keychain resets this seems to work for me. Nice one.

NB.

Keep iCloud keychain unlocked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.